JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While reading through, a few people touched upon some things (not guys jacking off over the phone :eek:) that jogged some brains cells....

A small electric space heater. This way when you are plugged into AC power you can run the heat using their power, and not burn up your propane.

The hot water tank.... fill it with water prior to turning on the heat (propane and/or electric)! If not, you will cook it and the temp sensors on the tank will burn out. It's actually a thermistor (I believe). A lot of places carry a lot of "knick knacks" to sell campers, but one of those is not something that can be easily found in a camp-store. (don't ask how I know this, and my wife learned a very valuable lesson after having only COLD water one camping weekend :D).

Also, I always travel with some water in the fresh tank. 1) I will put a few tablespoons of bleach in it to swish around while travelling down the road to help clean/sanitize the tank. 2) if you have to pull over someplace so you (or a family member) has to "take care of some business", you will be glad that you've got some water in the tank to flush the toilet.

Once you've cleaned out the black and grey tank (at a dump station) and you are ready to head back down the road, pour a 10 pound bag of ice (or 2) down the toilet into the black tank. Let it slosh around while driving down the road. It helps clean out any solids that may be piling up, and also helps break down any toilet paper that may be in the tank stuck to the walls, sensors, etc.

We installed Camco RV roof vent covers. Found them to do the same thing as the more popular "MaxxAir" covers.

On trips with just the two of us I can average 14 and have gone as high as 16 MPG. Towing the trailer 8-9. But don't have any problems going up hills with the trailer, just use more gas.
I also only fill my tanks about 1/3 full if I know I will be going some place with full hook ups. If we are going to be somewhere with out I fill the tank and carry extra in 6 gallon containers that stay in the truck.
After draining the black water tank I put one of those tablets into the tank and then add about 5 gallons of water. It will dry out during the summer but will not smell when stored during the winter.

I changed out the thermostat on my new trailer, the water heater was coming on every few hours.
I take a small yard blower helps keep from tracking in all the fir needles.

Oh yeah, the black tank tabs.... I totally forgot about those. Those are a must to help cut down on the odor. We actually use the lemon scented dishwasher packets. We found them to work the same, and they are about 1/3 the price of the ones "made for" RV's.

We have this in our trailer as a constant reminder :oops:

20190402_183439.jpg

Mine is a 21 foot with a slide. Total length is just about 25 feet. 5400 empty with a max or 7150. We were thinking of going bigger but parking the trailer and truck behind the side fence we were limited to 20-23 feet max. This unit has a rear bath like our older trailer and a queen size bed in the front. We replaced the mattress with a custom foam one and it is the best thing we have done to the trailer. My next expense is to get one of those wired surge suppressor for the electrical input. I just have to wait until we get some good weather so I can pull off the cover and get inside the trailer to see where I can mount the unit so it will be close to the incoming power lines.

I would spend some time and crawl around under your new trailer and look for potential entry points that mice or pack rats could crawl into. My neighbor came home from an Easter Oregon deer hunt last fall and over the winter a pack rat that hitched a ride tore it up inside.
Get some quality caulking and seal up every inch that might allow entry.

I would spend some time and crawl around under your new trailer and look for potential entry points that mice or pack rats could crawl into. My neighbor came home from an Easter Oregon deer hunt last fall and over the winter a pack rat that hitched a ride tore it up inside.
Get some quality caulking and seal up every inch that might allow entry.
Good suggestion, I want to bring it back home from camp when the weather turns better and wire in my inverter and do some preventative maintenance.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top