JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oh my god we're all going to die! :s0001::s0001:

Having been born and raised in...cough...cough...California...cough...cough...I'm very familiar with earthquakes. And I knew California had it bad but I never knew the PNW has it worse. Aside from the impending doom, I found this article completely fascinating and very educational.

Excerpt:

Those who cannot get out of the inundation zone under their own power will quickly be overtaken by a greater one. A grown man is knocked over by ankle-deep water moving at 6.7 miles an hour. The tsunami will be moving more than twice that fast when it arrives. Its height will vary with the contours of the coast, from twenty feet to more than a hundred feet. It will not look like a Hokusai-style wave, rising up from the surface of the sea and breaking from above. It will look like the whole ocean, elevated, overtaking land. Nor will it be made only of water—not once it reaches the shore. It will be a five-story deluge of pickup trucks and doorframes and cinder blocks and fishing boats and utility poles and everything else that once constituted the coastal towns of the Pacific Northwest.

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one)

And the world will keep spinning and be better for it in my proximation...Get rid of lots of Pokemon and drug crazed zombies in one swipe... The northwest minus PDX, Seattle and western Cali will be like a new start...Fresh and new with eyes wide open after the initial "shock". Remember the line from a movie where the guy held captive in a fuel hold on a ship sees a flare coming and says "thank god"

When that article came out a year ago it certainly got some folks' attention. It's even changed how we plan trips to the coast (we try to stay in places that are outside the tsunami zone). While we don't dwell on a CSZ quake, we have been in the process of improving our preparations should such an event occur in our lifetimes. It's hard to plan for every eventuality, but doing a little at a time makes it easier. Beyond that, we just go on living, no use worrying too much about something we can't control.

When that article came out a year ago it certainly got some folks' attention. It's even changed how we plan trips to the coast (we try to stay in places that are outside the tsunami zone). While we don't dwell on a CSZ quake, we have been in the process of improving our preparations should such an event occur in our lifetimes. It's hard to plan for every eventuality, but doing a little at a time makes it easier. Beyond that, we just go on living, no use worrying too much about something we can't control.

Your a better man the I. If I go to the beach I want to wake up to the sound of the ocean...

There are some down sides of growing up on the coast of a jungle:(.

A good book:
Cascadia's Curse - Kindle edition by J. A. Charnov. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. (https://www.amazon.com/Cascadias-Curse-J-Charnov-ebook/dp/B00K9SUN3C)

The author really knows her Oregon. Looks like if this one hits, finding food will be difficult for survivors. Bring a rifle on your trips to the beach...o_O

I take a rifle in the trunk anytime I'm more then an hour from home. Sounds like I need a huge self inflating boat lol.

I head out to the coast fairly often, usually for an overnighter but sometimes for multiple days. I always make sure I have enough supplies to last a week just in case something goes down and getting home is delayed... I also throw a rifle in there too, but that's mostly for target practice in the woods, as I drive by some good spots for rifle practice when I'm heading out there. I'm lucky in that my adventure wagon is an 80's model suburban with lots of room for all the overpacking I do! My family has always been aware of the potential for a massive earthquake up here, and are prepared for an emergency situation. Ido have to admit that I moved all our water filtration equipment out of the basement after reading that article though. Wouldn't that suck if your house collapsed, rendering your well-stocked emergency kit inaccessible?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top