Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

new weapon.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mrblond, Oct 9, 2015.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

well, maybe not a weapon..

20150930_0955471.jpg

Slobray, GOG, Sgt Nambu and 5 others like this.
  2. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

One a the best burglar alarms on the planet;)

3. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Good Lawdy, them ears could slice off fingers and hands!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::D
    Love the Dobe's!!!

clearconscience likes this.
  4. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

What's black and brown and looks good on a burglar?

See: OP

Slobray, GOG, Dyjital and 3 others like this.
  5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

That right there is a LETHAL poop machine!

6. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've always thought pink puffball collars look way more intimidating on a growling scary looking dog

GOG likes this.
  7. mrblond

well, I will confess. the Chihuahuas are far more threatening then she is.. at least at the moment.

These were taken right after I took her to the vet to get her ear tape removed and the vet said she was a perfect puppy.

8. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775 Coast Range Well-Known Member

Nice to have when you find yourself in a pinch...:D

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  9. mrblond

she will make a baddie think twice for a split second:
    ] as long as they have something she wants to chew on.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

It's hard to not let folks pet the puppy but it could be a good idea.
    I was petting a pit bull and the girl who owner it said she wanted it to be her guard dog.
    i said well don't just let everyone pet her like this. Kind of restrain her when someone walks up and or tries to pet her. Then let her know if the person is good or bad.
    I always told my rot to 'watch 'em' when I didn't know the person. Otherwise she would act like a lab and think everyone was there to pet her.
    Yeah she wasn't very ferocious.
    Nice looking pup BTW

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Remember,once you teach them the guard dog stuff,it can be hard to turn it off.
    Sometimes their natural instincts is the best way to go

45alive likes this.
  12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just raise her up to be friendly and well socialized! You know, a companion. When she's grown up she'll know when to protect and who from whom! I'm not suggesting a slip shod training method! I've had five Dobermans and all were excellent protectors and they lived to be 15 and over! Concentrait on general obedience training with an emphasis on the command STOP, stop on a dime! Now! Pronto! This will protect her, you and your life savings!

I've gotta go now, late! She's a beautiful girl! You did a good job ear rubbing! It's hard at first, isn't it? More later!

Oregonhunter5 and mjbskwim like this.
  13. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I agree with the fore mentioned. I have had three Dobe's and the basic obedience training can make your ownership day or night. Like was said, the basics, stop, stay, heel, come, sit, lay down. Dobe's are very smart dogs. They have an incredible nose and ears. The one other thing that I have learned owning them, is Dobe's demand a lot of attention. On a daily basis. The are clingy and like to be at your feet and want to go everywhere you go. Mine lives to go for a ride. He can be outside and hear me grab the car keys and he is right there. Your pup looks like she is not even a year old. My dog, in my avatar, just turned two this summer. He still wants to play everyday. He loves fetch..... Is your dog registered with papers?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Sgt Nambu likes this.
  14. rdb241

I have had people pull into my driveway and will not get out of the car until I put the dog in the house, and he is not even barking. Another thing that helps, is let the close neighborhood know you have a dog with pointed ears. That will help keep the little punk across the street from messing with your stuff when he see you leave. Also put up a couple of guard dog signs. I don't know about Oregon. But up here in Washington, if your property is not posted for dogs and the thief gets hurt. The thief can sew you and he will win. Because we have a law up here about setting a "booby trap". If your property is not posted and the thief gets hurt, the State considers that a booby trap. The definition of a booby trap is; you have done something to cause bodily harm to someone with fore thought and malice.

15. rdb241

Also, what's her name? They will chew on everything they can get they're teeth on. I have lost everything from a digital camera, pair of expensive tennis shoes, and even loosing my wallet with money and cards in it. But I would not trade him for anything in the world.

Sgt Nambu and edslhead like this.
  16. mrblond

Her name is Roxann and is a bit over 5 months. So far she has chewed a pair of pants, my shoelaces, a set of sheets, a blanket ot two and pulled the arms off her stuffed monkey.
    Honestly, she has [plenty to chew on, from greenies, to bully sticks, to a knuckle bone and about 10 toys. Still her favorite was a case of 5.56 before I got it into the ammo can.
    The biggest pain in the butt sofar is getting her ears posted. I had them removed 2 weeks ago, then have gotten them reposted once since then. I need a 3rd hand haha

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  17. rdb241

Yeah I know how that is. Then as soon as you have things all done, they shake there head and out come the sticks. My last male I had back in the 90's had a lazy left ear. If he really wanted to he could raise it. This male I have now, I got very lucky. The Vet. that cut his ears did not post them and told me that was up to me. While he was doped up on pain killers, I got his ears posted the first time. About a day and a half, they were out. I did not post them again. To much pain for him and they would not stay in anyway. When the Vet cut the ears. He had told me that he made a cut, after they healed, there would be a little more scare tissue to help support the ear. They look like any other Dobe's ears and stand great after only one posting. My boy's name is Myles. He can destroy and skin a tennis ball in about 5 min......lol

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  18. mrblond

yeah, her are up when she is alert, but one will flop over from time to time. Boy though, she want to play with the Chihuahuas soo badly. both of them hate her and will tend to go and hide somplace to avoid her, although the smallest found her knuckle bone and was guarding it for a while.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  19. rdb241

My girlfriend has two smaller dogs and they tend to boss my boy around a little. Until he has had enough. Then they back off in a hury. lol

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  20. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Remember it's of the greatest importance to massage the ears after they're cut! It's the difference between erect and even or not! And for ever afterword! :) It is also the greatest bonding time you'll ever have! Her ears hurt and when you place her in your lap and gently ease the pain she will love you forever!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015