Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New to the site, lookin for a carry gun.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Willsweezo, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Willsweezo

Willsweezo Oregon New Member

Hey everybody,
    Introduced to the site through my bro and another friend. Interested in guns and personal protection, especially with the times our country is in. I'm considering either a glock 23 or a springfield xd .40 compact. Don't have unlimited funds, so thought having the ability to switch barrels with the 23 would be nice to switch to 9 mm. Also want a gun that's good to ccw, while fun to shoot. Thanks for any input.

2. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Welcome aboard. Either of the two you mentioned are fine guns for carry and range time. Try them both out and get the one that fits you best. Aftermarket barrels are easily obtained for either choice.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  3. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

Welcome to the site, both guns are great choices! you can find some good deals in the classifieds here on NWF! Good luck!

4. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

When I was in your shoes I had it narrowed down to Glock , M&P, XD or XDm. You can't go wrong with any of these.
    Went with Glock because of the aftermarket support. No matter how small a gun store is they sell something for Glock. Bought the 40-9 conversion barrel, .22 conversion slide and if I wanted I could get the .357 Sig barrel all from the same carry gun. Is Glock the best? No, but so far it has done everything I need it to. Also, it is the first gun I have completely detailed strip because it is so simple. Watch a couple of youtube videos and your a simpleton gunsmith with a glock.
    Good luck and stay safe,
    Mike

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

I have shot the XD-40 and liked the natural point of aim the pistol had. It was as comfortable as my Colt 1911 and Taurus 24/7 Pro. I have no experience with the Glock and am so wanting a S&W M 28 that it is all I can think of......is there a B.S. smilie?

Selecting a carry gun is a very personal decision and I handled and shot as many as I could before deciding on the two I carry.

Some considerations...

Are you carrying IWB, in a shoulder rig, appendix carry, behind or on the hip. It will determine what you want to buy and, if it is your only carry gun; what you are comfortable carrying year round.