JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everybody,
Introduced to the site through my bro and another friend. Interested in guns and personal protection, especially with the times our country is in. I'm considering either a glock 23 or a springfield xd .40 compact. Don't have unlimited funds, so thought having the ability to switch barrels with the 23 would be nice to switch to 9 mm. Also want a gun that's good to ccw, while fun to shoot. Thanks for any input.

Welcome aboard. Either of the two you mentioned are fine guns for carry and range time. Try them both out and get the one that fits you best. Aftermarket barrels are easily obtained for either choice.

When I was in your shoes I had it narrowed down to Glock , M&P, XD or XDm. You can't go wrong with any of these.
Went with Glock because of the aftermarket support. No matter how small a gun store is they sell something for Glock. Bought the 40-9 conversion barrel, .22 conversion slide and if I wanted I could get the .357 Sig barrel all from the same carry gun. Is Glock the best? No, but so far it has done everything I need it to. Also, it is the first gun I have completely detailed strip because it is so simple. Watch a couple of youtube videos and your a simpleton gunsmith with a glock.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

I have shot the XD-40 and liked the natural point of aim the pistol had. It was as comfortable as my Colt 1911 and Taurus 24/7 Pro. I have no experience with the Glock and am so wanting a S&W M 28 that it is all I can think of......is there a B.S. smilie?

Selecting a carry gun is a very personal decision and I handled and shot as many as I could before deciding on the two I carry.

Some considerations...

Are you carrying IWB, in a shoulder rig, appendix carry, behind or on the hip. It will determine what you want to buy and, if it is your only carry gun; what you are comfortable carrying year round.

Hey everybody,
Introduced to the site through my bro and another friend. Interested in guns and personal protection, especially with the times our country is in. I'm considering either a glock 23 or a springfield xd .40 compact. Don't have unlimited funds, so thought having the ability to switch barrels with the 23 would be nice to switch to 9 mm. Also want a gun that's good to ccw, while fun to shoot. Thanks for any input.
Number 1 thing to consider before buying, will u carry this gun. Size, weight, (guns not yours) lifestyle. Are you active, how do you dress, body type. READ REVIEWS, a biased opinion from someone that wasted their money is pretty useful.

Well since you've proved yourself to be a true indian, give a 3" K-frame .357 magnum Smith a place in your "rotation". see what I did there? lulz

As said earlier, get what you would be willing to carry. I bought a couple full size guns intending to carry them all the time. I ended up leaving them at home more often that not. If you can find a holster, belt, and clothing that works... or you are a masochist, you might be able to rock a much bigger carry weapon. If not, a smaller, more compact firearm is often a better choice. Just don't settle for unreliable and/or unsafe setup. Get whatever is the most comfortable for you to shoot and carry. A pocket holster might be a good option part of the time if nothing else works.

I'm often in situations where different levels of concealment are appropriate. The clothes worn and activities performed at work, church, a family gathering, etc... If I'm not comfortable carrying it, I usually won't. I usually end up carrying a G19, G26, or Sig P938. If I could get away with carrying a full size 1911 I absolutely would. I just haven't found a combination of belt, pants, and holster that lets me do that comfortably all year.

1E0DDDE2-488C-4E58-AB3C-AD32FA146E51.jpeg

Welcome To This Forum.

Welcome aboard. We know nothing about you. If you have no prior handgun experience strongly consider getting some expensive introductory handgun training. Expect to pay twice as much for the total training as you spend on the gun. Yikes!

Then the need to add in the high practice ammo costs. And the dozen, (12) extra mags. And the six, (6) or so different holsters you will try and then not use until you find a holster that works for you. All of us are different. Your spin up time may vary.

Then the necessary ongoing practice expense, ammo, range time, instruction ... the expensive time and effort keeps coming at you. Also if you are just starting out, strongly consider a pistol with at least a ambo thumb safety. NOT A GLOCK PLEASE.

This will fetch them out. About me. I'm 72. Started shooting the 1911 .45 at age 15. Left Handed. An armorer made me up a ambo safety for my Colt 1911 45. I will ALWAYS need a thumb safety. A lifetime of muscle memory. Works for me.

I cringe when brand new shooters get a GLOCK. Not for beginners. Even the pros sometimes shoot themselves in the leg. Sometimes they shoot other people by mistake. Consider the most powerful handgun you can manage. Start small.

Consider starting out with a full size thumb safety .22rf pistol. Get the instruction. Get the range time. Practice, practice, practice. Work you way up to a more powerful caliber. Then get the most powerful caliber you can handle. At least 9mm.

Again ...Welcome to the fun and madness of this Excellent Forum. A CCL license is very important. Awesome power. Awesome responsibility. Concealed carry should not make you feel powerful. CC should make you feel very afraid and wary.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads