JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the market for a .22 tactical rifle. There are so many options out there, I need help deciding!
I am torn between the GSG MP522 and the H&K MP5 by Walther. Both are around the same price range. After reading on the internet I have noticed that a lot of folks are having problems with the GSG because of jams and the H&K may be so new that there aren't too many opinions yet. Now I am considering just waiting and saving up about 100 more bucks and getting the Sig Sauer 522!!! I already have a 10-22 and want to keep that the way it is, I realize that I could trick my Ruger out for not too much money, but I and bound and determined to get another .22. Please help with my decision!! factors are reliability, cost, longevity, accuracy and overall quality!

Can't comment on the first 2 you mention, but I've shot the 522. A friend has one with a basic red dot and it is so damn fun, especially doing "Shoot On The Move" type stuff. Never had a problem the times Ive shot it. One consideration is how expensive extra mags are for what ever rifle you go with. They empty so fast so having 3-4 is alot more fun, since loading mags can be a pain. Good Luck.

Well it seems like you're into the "sub machine gun" types of tactical rifles but you also mentioned the 522. A great tactical .22 rifle is the S&W MP15-22. It's just an ar15 chambered in the .22 and it's polymer for the most part (i think). There are plenty of other ar15 style .22 that goes on sale from time to time for around $300-$400. I know that's still less than how much a GSG MP5 clone costs.

As far as reliability goes, firearms are pretty solid now and most fail to fire/eject problem are due to the magazine and ammo. I have a .22lr conversion kit for my ar15 and i normally get one FTE around 100 rounds which i don't mind.

Longevity: .22 rifles are really simple and straight forward and i doubt that you just one day find your rifle in pieces due to deteriation. Just clean and maintain

Accuracy: not as good as a bolt action but accurate enough for plinking.

Goodluck!

+1 for the S&W M&P 15-22! Freaking love that gun. I got one a couple months ago and have put about 1500 rounds through it. I've had 1 FTF so far, and I haven't cleaned it once (to test reliability). It's a great shooter, and is a great trainer rifle, as it has the same functionality as a "big boy" AR. Also, replacement mags are $19.99.

If I was in the market for a .22 rifle I would get a Sig 522.... you can look up the review on YouTube by Nutnfacy. I used to have a Ruger 10/22 and I guess I just happened to be one of the very few to not have good luck with it. I never cared for the AR looking .22 rifles because they just never looked like an AR to me. Now I am working on "building" an AR M4 and all I have to do is to buy the bolt kit and I can shoot .22s out of a REAL looking and functioning AR.

If I was in the market for a .22 rifle I would get a Sig 522.... you can look up the review on YouTube by Nutnfacy. I used to have a Ruger 10/22 and I guess I just happened to be one of the very few to not have good luck with it. I never cared for the AR looking .22 rifles because they just never looked like an AR to me. Now I am working on "building" an AR M4 and all I have to do is to buy the bolt kit and I can shoot .22s out of a REAL looking and functioning AR.

So you don't like the ar15 looking .22 but you like the sig556 looking 522? LOL
I have a conversion kit on my ar too and it's fun for plinking but the barrel twist is not correct for the .22lr round. My barrel is 1:9 while .22's are 1:16 twist. Accuracy is questionable at time but it's the fun factors outweights it.

I have the Sig522 and it will eat anything you give it. I HAD a GSG-5 but sold that thing to get the Sig. The GSG-5 may have been more "tacticool" but when it would only shoot right half of the time it was worthless to me.

That is now why I have 3 sigs in my collection.

There are a lot of good choices. I liked my SIG 522 very much but I think the best way to go is with a dedicated .22 AR upper. The different configurations are endless so you can tweak it just the way you want it to be. Then you can slap a standard upper on it if serious work needs doing. I have a Tactical Solutions upper on a CMMG lower with MOE furniture.

tscmmg22a.jpg

So you don't like the ar15 looking .22 but you like the sig556 looking 522? LOL
I have a conversion kit on my ar too and it's fun for plinking but the barrel twist is not correct for the .22lr round. My barrel is 1:9 while .22's are 1:16 twist. Accuracy is questionable at time but it's the fun factors outweights it.

Cool! You can shoot the 60 gr. Aguila SSS round, turning your weapon into a subsonic .223!

I shoot the subsonic stuff from Bimart all the time in my 522 (Classic, not the SWAT version). Was just at Tri-County last weekend and was shooting at 100 yards with only a red dot (CCI mini-mag). Did surprisingly well.

Don't like the GSG or Umerex stuff. The 522 feels substantial unlike the colt or S&W AR-15 versions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top