JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not all FFL dealers are scavengers. True, we are in it to make money, but some of us have a conscience and are just willing to help.

rcbro,
Sorry for your loss.
I sent you a message, I'm here in Salem and willing to help you out. I gave you my contact info.

IM me and I will give you my phone #. I can make you an offer and have an FFL. I might can drive down and pick them up. I have three investors I work with and will pay cash.

Against the forum rules.

<broken link removed>

4. No member of the community can use the website to promote his/her commercial activities/products/services without a Supporting Vendor membership.

We use the funds from paying vendors and advertisers to keep this site running. As they're kind enough to help support the community, the least we can do in exchange is assure them their competitors are not getting the same benefits and the right to compete without cost. This includes non-business members repeatedly using the classifieds to turn a profit (for example, buying cheap ammunition at Wal-Mart then reselling here at higher prices). If you're interested in selling or advertising please use our contact us link at the bottom of the page.

Hello Everyone,
I'm thankful to find a NW based forum in hopes of receiving some information on the collection I just received.

My great uncle just recently passed and was an avid gun collector of mostly older rifles, but some newer handguns as well. I enjoy guns, but i'm not as passionate as he was, nor do I know much about them other then pulling the trigger and shooting some clays.

I plan to keep some of them, but would like to liquidate some. My issue is, I don't know what exactly I have, how rare they may be etc.. I've tried to research, but there are hundreds of variables when it comes to serial numbers, whether the gun has been rebuilt etc that I don't feel comfortable with the information I've gathered.

I have a M1A, M1, M14 socom, M14, SKS, Winchester 22/.410, Winchester .22 auto and many more. Those are just a few.

The worse part is, my uncle was an excessive hoarder and very unclean. Some rifles cover in sticky residue (could be car urine?) and others are just covered in cat dander and hair. Some aren't bad at all. A few of these have never been shot.

I don't know whether to clean the outside, have the disassembled or? I'm really at a loss.

I'm located in Salem, Oregon and really doubt a gun shop wants to go through 30 guns with me. I'm not sure if I should just start a thread for each gun with detailed pictures or?

I'm hoping the members here can help me out on which direction to go. I'm sorry for writing I book, the death was unexpected and I'm overwhelmed with a room full of guns and a hoarders home to go through that's 500 miles away.

Sorry for your loss. It sucks loosing a loved one......I know....

Guns are very collectable. There are forums on the interned devoted to every single type you listed.

Many FFLs will give you low value on each in hopes of scoring large profits, so individual collectors of each type will be the best bet to get maximum value.
The M1 Garand collector will not be interested in giving top value for the SKS perhaps as example.

Check Gunbroker.com for recent auctions for each type to get an idea of what they actually sell for.

Do you have buddies that are in to guns that can help clean them up and research values?

An SKS could be worth $100 or $500.
M1 could be worth $600 or $2500
Winchester .22 could be worth $50 or $2000

They vary greatly in value.

I hope your family the best.

That's a big project, but if you want the full $$ you need to put in the time. Your other option would be to "wholesale" them to a gun store (or FFL) that will do the work for you and sell them for retail value. I would get one of the gun value books to start with and figure out the easy ones first. I think you can get one at any large gun shop.

The harder ones to price out would take more research and you could hope to only need to deal with that on a few of them. Sell one at a time on your own to get the most value. If there are a lot of nice scopes you might want to sell them apart from the rifle and so on.

The more time and effort you invest the more money you will get out of it.

Thank you everyone for your support. As mentioned I'm in no hurry to sell the guns. The money will be used on my pickup he gave me fr my first rig, I promised to drive it back over once fixed up and never got the chance, I plan to still make I happen for his memorial in spring. I'll be using the money to purchase the remaining parts.

I have coworkers whom are into guns, but not the type I have, they are extreme AR15 geeks lol.

I do not plan to sell or consign the guns with a dealer, I will sell them as they sell. As mentioned I'll begin cleaning, documenting and posting pictures this weekend.

For now here's a iPhone snap shot of the collection when I first got home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322795596.614148.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help and suggestions, I'm apart of many offroad forums and Rc hobby forums, some are great, but I've never had a response like this before in such a short period of time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322795596.614148.jpg

Not all FFL dealers are scavengers. True, we are in it to make money, but some of us have a conscience and are just willing to help.

rcbro,
Sorry for your loss.
I sent you a message, I'm here in Salem and willing to help you out. I gave you my contact info.

Very true. Not every FFL is a Vulture. I know a few that would be willing to help out and not rip you off. I know some that do a special deals in situations like yours. They would help you get a fair price and be totally open with you the whole time. I even have a couple of contacts for trustworthy Salem FFL guys too.

Sorry for your loss.

Rcbro, Sorry about your loss. Seems like the people we really like are taken from us too soon.

Maybe you should just get a large safe and hold onto them. It looks like a nice collection and firearms are not likely to go down in price.

Also, go get yourself a Blue Book of Gun Values. It will give you a decent idea of what you have and what it's worth.

Rcbro, Sorry about your loss. Seems like the people we really like are taken from us too soon.

Maybe you should just get a large safe and hold onto them. It looks like a nice collection and firearms are not likely to go down in price.

Also, go get yourself a Blue Book of Gun Values. It will give you a decent idea of what you have and what it's worth.

I agree 100% they will be worth more in the future anyways!

I had fun removing and remounting the safes in my home, what a joy!

I do plan to keep some of the Guns. Mostly the ones he and I shot together. However some he never spoke about an never moved since I've known him. I plan to sell those in order to finish the truck he gave ms that I mentioned in my previous post.

I am using some of the money he left me to take a hunting/fishing trip to Alaska next year with my father. It was something the three of us were going to do before his health went bad.

There were 3things my uncle loved and lived for, his cats, his guns and me. Knowing my uncle I trust what I'm doing is the right thing. I know some of these guns will be much loved in someone else's hands then sitting in a safe. Which is why I plan to sell them to individuals with a passion for the gun versus a dealer.

This thread keeps getting better. From what I read in your postings, I like your style. For 23, you seem to have your head on straight - guessing your uncle had some influence.
You turned to a network of passionate and knowledgeable people for input on a subject you are new to/need info on. There are some really great people on this forum and the not so great ones are here for comedic relief.
Safety and security first with the safes - excellent.
Honoring your uncle by going on a trip with your dad - I am assuming his brother - is an wonderful thing to do - especially now that you know health can change so quickly.
And you have a solid game plan (no panic or fire sale) that I am confident many members here will appreciate: purchasing directly from you.
I look forward to your updates on this project.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

As previously mentioned The Blue Book of Gun Values would be a nice start ($60?). Also poke around and see what they are actually selling for - here, GB, et al. The Book may say they are worth $1000 (for example) but they are actually selling for $1200. Every few hundered dollars in your pocket, towards your truck and trip, is a bonus for you. Also, don't agree to the first "I'll take it" or low-ball offer. If you are in no hurry, hold your ground for what you feel is right and fair.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you've unearthed.

Best of luck.

On my lunch break and took one of the rifles to work to show the guys.

It's an M1A made by Springfield armory. Serial 118XXX.
Has a Springfield armory 4-15x56 3rd gen government model scope.

It's in relatively great condition minus alittle wear on the stock where the bi-pod feet touch.

(cell pics)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322859272.126180.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322859291.372847.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322859272.126180.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322859291.372847.jpg

I'm confused BIG TIME Winchester made M14's as one of the four manufacturers that did these were all select fire weapons.

Springfield Armory is the only Manufacturer of M1A's I know of.

Would a photo of the reciever on the right hand side be possible? Also a photo of where this rifle says Winchester.

when u get ready to get serious info on these guns from us,please please ditch the cell pics,and get a 'regular' digital camera.Good clear pics are reallly helpful in judging a firearm.You have a very nice collection there,and I"m glad u are not in a hurry to cell.Enjoy them and as you clean them up remember the good times with your Uncle.

I'll also add my condolences for your loss.Looks like the gun community lost a good man too.

Sorry, I meant Springfield Armory.

I plan to take hi-res pictures I'm just giving you guys something to stare at until then. I just picked up a nice cleaning kit capable of cleaning .17 to a 54cal, along with some cleaner. O the fun begins, I'll start with the cleanest first and go from there. Tomorrow I'll post up something worth staring at.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top