JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,
I'm thankful to find a NW based forum in hopes of receiving some information on the collection I just received.

My great uncle just recently passed and was an avid gun collector of mostly older rifles, but some newer handguns as well. I enjoy guns, but i'm not as passionate as he was, nor do I know much about them other then pulling the trigger and shooting some clays.

I plan to keep some of them, but would like to liquidate some. My issue is, I don't know what exactly I have, how rare they may be etc.. I've tried to research, but there are hundreds of variables when it comes to serial numbers, whether the gun has been rebuilt etc that I don't feel comfortable with the information I've gathered.

I have a M1A, M1, M14 socom, M14, SKS, Winchester 22/.410, Winchester .22 auto and many more. Those are just a few.

The worse part is, my uncle was an excessive hoarder and very unclean. Some rifles cover in sticky residue (could be car urine?) and others are just covered in cat dander and hair. Some aren't bad at all. A few of these have never been shot.

I don't know whether to clean the outside, have the disassembled or? I'm really at a loss.

I'm located in Salem, Oregon and really doubt a gun shop wants to go through 30 guns with me. I'm not sure if I should just start a thread for each gun with detailed pictures or?

I'm hoping the members here can help me out on which direction to go. I'm sorry for writing I book, the death was unexpected and I'm overwhelmed with a room full of guns and a hoarders home to go through that's 500 miles away.

Since so many people are unemployed these days I am sure you could find someone here to go through and clean and inspect all of them in exchange for cash or one of them in trade for all the labor.

Hopefully that isn't cat urine. Cat urine destroys metal...very corrosive. As noisycow said: I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to help clean, sort and categorize your collection.

BTW: welcome, and I'm sorry to hear of your loss - I hope your family is dealing OK with it.

If you could take a photo of each gun and post them in the classified section, without cleaning or altering them, I am sure they would go very quickly. If you priced them based on what you find similar guns selling for (here in the Classified section) and were willing to take "Or Best Offer" You will be surprised how many of us are looking to make a purchase for the right price and Salem is a good central location.

Thank you everyone. Most likely it isn't cat urine, but the smell is there, most of the guns were in safes, however a few were hung around the house. Being in an atmosphere such as his home the smell and residues got to some of these guns, but I'm sure that can be removed.

The only gun in bad visual shape would be the M1 Carbine made by universal. Luckily from what I've found it isn't an extremely popular gun or a valuable one.

Most just need a good wipe down from what I can see, but internally I don't know whether something needs to be done.

I was not raised with guns and met my uncle later in life during high school upon which we gained a close relationship. I'm only 23 now so haven't retained much weapon info as I could never afford to purchase one. I usually inherited a new one each visit but they were mostly
Older guns that were expensive to shoot (25-20 was my favorite) Now I just have an additional 30.

I also have crates of ammo, reloading gear and magazines galore, I will be returning to the home next week to bring back everything then I can hopefully identify what goes to what etc..

Welcome to the Forum, and Sorry for your loss.

Pictures will help identify what you have.

Another option would be to take them to someone to help give you a rough estimate of what you have and what they might be worth.
You might give Kolt a call at Santiam Buyers in Stayton, just east of salem. He is a very Honest man, and will lead you in the right direction. His work number is: 503-769-9870. You might have to set up a time with him to look at them, or he might have you just take them to his shop, but ask for Kolt.

A Lot of us here would be interested buying something, but pictures speak a million words... so to speak...

Again, Sorry for your loss.

Stay Safe.

Make sure that they are unloaded. Fill your tub with the hottest water you can and wipe them down in that. (wear gloves). The hot water will evaporate will you pull them out. Dry them off and put some break free on the weapons. Do one a day for 30 days. The only danger is if your wife sees it she will freak.

IM me and I will give you my phone #. I can make you an offer and have an FFL. I might can drive down and pick them up. I have three investors I work with and will pay cash.

My condolences on your loss.

I have a three gallon, high-power, heated ultrasonic tank and tons of cleaning solution. The hot water suggestion is a very good method -- but for cleaning AND RE-LUBRICATING impossible-to-reach areas, I think ultrasound can't be beat (exception: Parkerizing comes off if you leave a part in for too long -- and aluminum corrupts at the molecular level). I'm retired military, currently employed as a guard at Juvenile Hall in Newport. I'm always looking for a deal. I can make a trip to the valley to have a look, if it suits you. Correspond to miravox at

me

dot

com

~ Bert

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.641424,-124.059265
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I don't plan to sell anything until I have acquired everything from the home. There are even more accessories then there are guns and I want to try to let the appropriate items go with each gun.

I'm in no rush to sell so don't plan to sell anything until I know an approximate value, I'm not looking to get retail but don't want to regret a sell either.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

One of the things I would do, while in the process of cleaning is make an itemized list of the firearms.

I can't attach an excel sheet, but here is the layout I have

Across the top row:
Make, Type, Model, Caliber, Serial Number, Notes

Example:
Ruger, Rifle, 10/22, .22lr, ABC123456, Black Hogue Stock
Glock, Pistol, 23, .40cal, DEF45678, CrimsonTrace Grip
etc.

I have additional columns for "Date Acquired," "Acquired From" "Date Sold," and "Sold to".

My only other suggestion, aside from getting an inventory would be to get them cleaned. You may want to sit on the guns until you feel a bit less grief, and are feeling less overwhelmed. It would be a shame to sell something that may have had historical/personal history associated with it.

Once again, sorry about your loss.

IM me and I will give you my phone #. I can make you an offer and have an FFL. I might can drive down and pick them up. I have three investors I work with and will pay cash.

Why was this the first thing I though of?

113buzzards.jpg

to the OP:

As mentioned, get some good detailed descriptions and pics if possible. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here than can help you figure out what you have.

I'll be collecting information and will upload pictures this weekend. I will post them in this thread one at a time for those interested and willing to help.

I have figures out what most are, but may be lacking some info on what could or doesn't make it valuable.

Definitely do your research so nobody takes advantage of you. Don't take them to a gun shop, they will definitely try to rip you off. Take your time, clean them up, and you should be able to get fair market value for them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top