JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm an over 60 hunter and outdoorsman. Have been hunting since 1967. Have been hunting big game with my Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 since 1976, have many other guns but this one is my favorite. I am new to muzzle loading and just bought a CVA Optima NW in 50 caliber. Gun shot a ragged one hole group at 25 yard out of the box, but shot 12 inches low at 100 yards with highest factory open sight. At 100 yards I shot a 2 1/2" group but was 12 inches low. Used 100 gr of Pyrodex RS and Hornady 385 gr high plains lead conical. I spent a few days working out the correct shim height of 0.170 inches for the rear sight using a piece of 1 inch schedule 40 PVC conduit and one piece of credit card (see photo). I bought the Williams #70154 peep sight for CVA Optima and had the same sight height problem. Has anyone else had this problem with CVA Optima sights?

CVA shimmed sight.jpg

I know lots of people in Sand Point.......hardly recognize the place now. Idaho has some very specific laws pertaining to hunting in the Black powder season. Things like no Sabots, no jacketed bullets, no coated bullets, I think guns with internal ignition are illegal, maby no 209 primers.........it goes on. I shoot a 54 T/C renegade so haven't looked at the laws in great detail but my buddy at Cabelas was telling me about it. Cabelas only carries one ldaho legal hunting bullet for my 54. Black powder rifles are powerful and accurate as modern rifles. I only shoot black powder FFG, it is a little hotter than the synthetic stuff and smells better. To me Pyrodox smells like a over used latrine in the summer. I load 120 grains of FFG behind a 375 grain hollow point. It is more powerful than a 30-30. Welcome............................I just reread the law, my memory was correct with the addition the propellant has to be loose, cap has to be completely exposed, no pellets and no scopes or electronic devices. Off course those are the rules for the Black Powder only season.

Last Edited:
You can measure your front sight blade and switch it out for a shorter one. This will raise your angle of departure relative to your point of aim and get your shots up.
Good idea No_Regerts. I tried that with the sights I had. Original sight is 0.485" tall and I tried a lower one at 0.404" with not enough change in impact elevation. I ended up with 0.170" shim at rear sight so I guess I based on straight calculation I need a 0.315" front sight to remove the back shim? Is this correct?

Welcome Aboard. You might also think about an increase in powder charge which will change the point of Impact. Also using the Real BP can change things to. Good Luck.

Good idea No_Regerts. I tried that with the sights I had. Original sight is 0.485" tall and I tried a lower one at 0.404" with not enough change in impact elevation. I ended up with 0.170" shim at rear sight so I guess I based on straight calculation I need a 0.315" front sight to remove the back shim? Is this correct?

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but a combination of shorter front sight blade and shim on the rear should do it. I just don't think a shim that large should be necessary. Does that aperture slide up its dovetail any higher?

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but a combination of shorter front sight blade and shim on the rear should do it. I just don't think a shim that large should be necessary. Does that aperture slide up its dovetail any higher?
Well, I started with credit card shims at 0.027" each and slid the sight to the top of the ramp. At about four thicknesses of credit card shim I ran out of screw length. I bought longer 8-40 gunsmith screws but the screw heads were too large in diameter to fit into the Williams sight hole recess. I hand ground the two screw heads to acceptable diameter to fit the recess. Since that was harder than grinding off screw length I went to the "other end of the teeter-totter" and added two thickness of PVC pipe. I shot then removed shims in increments and ground down the screws. Shot, removed shims and ground down screws, repeat, repeat, repeat... After 45 shots I'm ok where I am at with the rear sight shimming. I was just wondering if anyone else bought that ML and experienced what I did with the 385 gr Hornady conicals, which by the way sell out in N. Idaho for the late season ML anterless elk season coming up.
I contacted CVA and they sent me another set of the same sights that didn't work and that was all they had, end of story. Again, just wondering if I'm the only one...?

Welcome Aboard. You might also think about an increase in powder charge which will change the point of Impact. Also using the Real BP can change things to. Good Luck.
KKG, Thanks for the suggestion to increase the powder charge. I have now shot enough (over 50 shots) to have found the right combination for my gun and it actually likes less powder. I was shooting 2.5 inch groups with 100 gr and when I reduced to 90 gr the gun shoots 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I'll just keep the large shim for now as I'm satisfied with the gun and load for the upcoming elk season. Thanks again for your response.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top