JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I am a new member here with a small but growing collection of Pistols and Bolt action rifles. I have a particular interest in U.S. Military Surplus Weapons. My Current Mil Surp weapon is a 1942 Remington 1903 Springfield.

I also have a Mossberg Patriot .270 Win. A Savage Axis XP in 30-06, A Taurus PT 24/7 .45acp and a Hi Point .40S&W.

I will in the not too distant Future be adding an M1 Garand and an M1 Carbine to the collection (inherited from my Uncle).

Looking forward to meeting as many Members here and joining into discussions as I feel comfortable to comment on.

I am a retired Naval Aviation Electricians Mate, Naval Combat Aircrewman. and a proud Patriot.

My Springfield is Dated Oct 1942, with in the first year of the New Contract the Army Ordinance Core needed more '03 Springfields, Remington purchased the Machinery from Rock Island in 1941. The '03A3 was still in the final development stage during that first year Remington was producing the '03. I am not sure when the 'straight "03 production was terminated. I am by far not an expert on the '03, I have had my '03 checked by one of the collectors who is considered to be an expert, he gave me a lot of the knowledge I do have now, but I am still in the learning phase my self right now.

Is it configured as an '03 I guess was my question?
Yes it is. My Uncle bought this rifle in the late 50's along with 3 other '03's through the CMP. All were 1942 dated the one he gave me has the Straight non-finger groove stock, the other 3 have the FINGER groove stocks.

Yes it is. My Uncle bought this rifle in the late 50's along with 3 other '03's through the CMP. All were 1942 dated the one he gave me has the Straight non-finger groove stock, the other 3 have the FINGER groove stocks.
I was more referring to the Rear Sight arrangement which is I think the major change.:)

I was more referring to the Rear Sight arrangement which is I think the major change.:)

The real major changes in 03A3 were the elimination of Milled parts such as the upper and lower bands, the milled Magazine/trigger guard, the milled Follower, Milled Sling Swivels and stacking swivel. The rear sight was an addition change. Mine has the Milled Leaf Sight assembly. these were changes to bring about a savings in Manufacturing time and Cost.

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to our country.:)
I too collect and shoot military rifles.
Is it configured as an '03 I guess was my question?
Rare variant of the O3s is the Remingtons made in the early 1940s. These were made before
they retooled to produce the Remington O3A3 rifles.
The Remington M1903 Rifles
rem03c.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews