JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey everyone,

New to the area and just found this forum luckily. I Lived in South Florida for the past 20 years and am seeing tons of differences here. I look forward to many range trips, once I find one, and am able to get the buying process down over here

Cheers

Well, Oregon, Washington and IdaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO gots mountains, for a start, many of which are volcanoes. We also gots Port Orford, jewel of the South West, and location of the only blinking traffic light on Highway 101 that has a fan-base.

Me and my dear old pal D. Smith take turn watching it betimes. He watches it when it's on, and I watches it when it's off. That way we have it covered.

Keeps us occupied on the long nights, see.

Welcome to NWFA. Glad you found the forum.

23 years ago, I made the trek from North East Florida to Oregon. Drove the southern route cross country with the wife, 1 year old boy and our dog, fun times.

You'll like the 4 seasons, plenty to do during each. This forum is a great resource.

Better off IMO joining a range.

Safe areas to shoot can be challenging to find, particularly if trying for convenience to any metro area.

If up Portland way, consider looking into Douglas Ridge or Tri County. Both may likely be wait listed anyways.

Out towards the Coast off of the 26 is North Fork Wolf Creek rd public shooting lanes. Put together by some members on here along with Tillamook State Forest. Very nice lanes!! But being only 4 are pretty busy on weekends, especially if nice out.

Use your due diligence if you still want to find other public lands to shoot on.

It's quite common up there for public lands to be leased for forestry harvest, may be posted/signed, may not be (nozzlers tearing signs down). Signed or not, if it's leased, those areas are almost always a no go zone for shooting sports. Will get you a visit from Sherrif / ODFW etc. No bueno!

If you think you might be spending time out towards Bend, COSSA is supposed to be a pretty decent range as well. Aside from Douglas Ridge rifle club, one of the few ranges that goes out to 1000yd.

If you think you may move a touch South in the Valley, ARPC (Albany Rifle & Pistol) in Shedd OR (Just S of Albany), is a fantastic range! Limited to 200 for distance, but plenty of pistol bays to do work in. Far more "relaxed rules", ie OK to shoot after dark etc.. Used to be until 9pm weekdays, 8pm weekends. Great to practice defensive handgun with mounted lights/night vision etc.

We used to live in North Salem, near Keizer, and were ARPC members. 35-45min drive, traffic depending.

Thank you for the info! Ill check out the Douglas Ridge and Tri County for now as those seem closer to where I am at the moment.

Outdoor will be a nice change, we only had 2 in S.Fla that was open to the public, one was a Sheriff training range open only 2 days a month and the other wasn't worth the hour drive. The Everglades became pretty loved for the open area.

How often are competitions held around here?

Welcome to NWFA. Glad you found the forum.

23 years ago, I made the trek from North East Florida to Oregon. Drove the southern route cross country with the wife, 1 year old boy and our dog, fun times.

You'll like the 4 seasons, plenty to do during each. This forum is a great resource.

Thank you! It snowed the first morning I woke up here between that and the 70° change in 2 hours..I was pretty shocked lol. I lived in Michigan before Florida so the seasons will be nice to see after 20 years

Well, Oregon, Washington and IdaHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO gots mountains, for a start, many of which are volcanoes. We also gots Port Orford, jewel of the South West, and location of the only blinking traffic light on Highway 101 that has a fan-base.

Me and my dear old pal D. Smith take turn watching it betimes. He watches it when it's on, and I watches it when it's off. That way we have it covered.

Keeps us occupied on the long nights, see.

Ah yes, the good ol mountains. Looking forward to exploring those once I have some bigger pieces for whatever wildlife may pose a danger while hiking

Hey everyone,

New to the area and just found this forum luckily. I Lived in South Florida for the past 20 years and am seeing tons of differences here. I look forward to many range trips, once I find one, and am able to get the buying process down over here

Cheers

Welcome fellow Portlander! There's a gun show this weekend at the Expo Center, 9am-5pm Sat/Sun(3pm). The mid-March one is usually pretty bustlin'.

Thank you for the info! Ill check out the Douglas Ridge and Tri County for now as those seem closer to where I am at the moment.

Outdoor will be a nice change, we only had 2 in S.Fla that was open to the public, one was a Sheriff training range open only 2 days a month and the other wasn't worth the hour drive. The Everglades became pretty loved for the open area.

How often are competitions held around here?

Your welcome!

As to competition, don't honestly know. Don't compete.

Seems like they're are a bunch though both at Douglas & Tri County, just from what's been posted on here.

And yah, outdoors ranges are nice! Spent a goodly portion of today at ours. Great day!

Right now im just looking for a recreational area, once I'm all settled ill be looking for a club

Check out Threat Dynamics in Sherwood. Awesome range - don't bother with any of the indoor ranges in the PDX area. Not worth it. Johnson Creek and Tri-County are the prominent clubs 'round here.

No much as far as outdoor ranges in the PDX area, but we do have the Vancouver / Camas area just 15-20 min away. Clark County Gun Club or English Pit Shooting Range; great folks, and less than 20 bucks to shoot all day with your own brass. There's also Salmonberry Pit, but that's a bit of a drive from Portland. You can bring steel and shoot all day there.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top