JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This guy and a mag full of those Federal Punch rounds would be a nice low recoil, high capacity, and light weight defense option.
Do you know what the velocity is out of this sized barrel with that round? The federal advertised velocity results in 100 ft lbs of energy, or about the same as a mild 22lr. Not sure what barrel length they were using though. Tbh I would not carry this for self defense for the same reason I would not carry 22lr. For comparison my 22lr buckmark is 115 ft lb with mini mags (139 ft lb with velocitors).

That just can't compare for SD to something like the psa or ruger 5.7. PSA 5.7 is 273 ft lbs and the same cost. It's also low recoil and high capacity but much more effective.

Last Edited:
Do you know what the velocity is out of this sized barrel with that round? The federal advertised velocity results in 100 ft lbs of energy, or about the same as a mild 22lr. Not sure what barrel length they were using though. Tbh I would not carry this for self defense for the same reason I would not carry 22lr. For comparison my 22lr buckmark is 115 ft lb with mini mags (139 ft lb with velocitors).

That just can't compare for SD to something like the psa or ruger 5.7. PSA is 273 ft lbs and the same cost. Also low recoil and high capacity but much more effective.
Their site says 1000fps from 2" and 1800 from 16", S&W says this guy has a 4.35" barrel.

Take away ballistics and look at it from economics and availability.

A box of 5.7 is about $30 for 50 (Federal on SGAmmo) or $55 for green tip. Other than ordering online, a local shop might have one flavor of 5.7 on the shelf.

A box of Federal Punch is $26 for 50. Plinking ammo is roughly $0.20-$0.25 a round. Most stores carry larger and more diverse options of 22wmr.

Or from weight / size.

I pack out, when camping, a TX22 with 9 mags (8 loaded mags in case, one in pistol) and 400 extra rounds of Federal Punch. All of which fits in a case no bigger than my kids tablet is with the case he has for it. It weighs less than 5 pounds total. Packs easily and stores well. The 22wmr ammo cases aren't much bigger than the 22lr ones, so I could swap to this and add 15 rounds per mag each, or 135 rounds more just in mags. Combined with added ballistics of the extra powder and I would have over 500 rounds in a package the size of a tablet.

Just a few examples…

If it is reliable, I'd definitely consider it.

Their site says 1000fps from 2" and 1800 from 16", S&W says this guy has a 4.35" barrel.

Take away ballistics and look at it from economics and availability.

A box of 5.7 is about $30 for 50 (Federal on SGAmmo) or $55 for green tip. Other than ordering online, a local shop might have one flavor of 5.7 on the shelf.

A box of Federal Punch is $26 for 50. Plinking ammo is roughly $0.20-$0.25 a round. Most stores carry larger and more diverse options of 22wmr.

Or from weight / size.

I pack out, when camping, a TX22 with 9 mags (8 loaded mags in case, one in pistol) and 400 extra rounds of Federal Punch. All of which fits in a case no bigger than my kids tablet is with the case he has for it. It weighs less than 5 pounds total. Packs easily and stores well. The 22wmr ammo cases aren't much bigger than the 22lr ones, so I could swap to this and add 15 rounds per mag each, or 135 rounds more just in mags. Combined with added ballistics of the extra powder and I would have over 500 rounds in a package the size of a tablet.

Just a few examples…

If it is reliable, I'd definitely consider it.
You said it would make a good self defense gun. You cannot "take away ballistics" when one is talking about self defense.

You said it would make a good self defense gun. You cannot "take away ballistics" when one is talking about self defense.
I'm by no means trying to convince anyone to buy this over anything else. Just trying to post some other perspectives.

If all you do is look at ballistics you can make any caliber and or gun look negative.

9mm is or isn't marginally better than 40sw…

I have nothing against 5.7 or 22wmr. I know it's basically the 9mm vs 40sw argument on a smaller scale!

I think this is a nice pistol. I like the action, it's quite unique, gas operated isn't common. If it's reliable, it could be a great tool for many purposes, just like the 5.7 counterpart. I personally see the 22wmr as a more available and less expensive round compared to the 5.7, that and 8 more rounds might not suck?!?

140ish ft lb of energy. What's the point?

A 22lr velocitor bullet out of the same size barrel = 124 ft lb.

A 5.7 out of a 4.7" barrel (such as the psa 5.7 pistol) = 273 fit lb

Why in the world would anyone buy this gun? Makes no sense.
If it had a 6-8" barrel and was made for accuracy - then it might have appeal to me. But I already have a 5.7x28 pistol.

So, I'm curious to why they didn't start with a threaded barrel like the 5.7?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top