JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, been thinking about it, and finally decided to pull the trigger (pun intended!) and get myself a pistol. Don't really like the way the country is going, and feel like I should exercise my right to own a gun while I still can! Luckily, I know several people who own guns, so I'm not coming into this cold. And I have fired guns before, so not a total n00b! Anyways, I'm on enough forums to know to start with the intro post, and I know how to behave myself!

Yup, been thinking about all that. Looking for a full-size semiauto in 9mm. Good stopping power, cheaper large ammo, a little larger magazine capacity. Mostly going to use it for target shooting, but also for home defense. Eventually I'll get my CCW permit, but I'll get a more compact pistol for that. Also not looking to spend too much if I don't have to. My carpool partner suggested a Ruger SR9, and I went to a local gun store today to hold a bunch of different pistols to see what felt good, and I think he nailed it. Good price, fits my hand well, and seems to be very reliable. And ambidextrious out of the box with no conversion needed. I'm right handed, but my girlfriend has expressed interest in learning to shoot, and she's left handed, so that would be easy at the range!

Good choice "Hrethgir" I recently picked up a SR9 and its awesome! I went with the Stainless slide not so much for looks as i plan to have it cerokoted however the Stainless is (My opinion) best material for the slide (DEF the BEST with the options available for the SR9!!) And the cerokote is a MUCH more durable coating than the factory black option. Either way good luck with it! Its super easy to strip and "get to know" and super fun to shoot!

Figured I'd come in and update this. Went out last Thursday to the Gun Broker in Tigard and picked up a stainless Ruger SR9. Being my first gun, I was a little nervous/excited about getting it, and asked about a cleaning kit (they were out of 9mm kits), but totally forgot about buying any ammo, lol! Went to BiMart and took care of both of those though, and picked up a trigger lock too, I know the things aren't toys. Haven't been out to fire it yet, so since I'm not really familiar or anything with having a gun around, I'm keeping it looked up and unloaded until I get a chance to get familiarize with it better and get some training under my belt too.

Regarding training, I'd recommend OFA's Basic Handgun class. My wife took it as a newer shooter and she thought it was fantastic. It also covers requirement for CHL. Now we need to get back for Defensive Handgun. :)

Excellent, I'll look into that! Probably going to hit up Threat Dynamics with my GF too, she's never even held a gun until I showed her mine (trigger lock on, no clip, chamber empty), so that would be a very safe environment for her to learn the basics.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top