JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After my dad passed away a few years ago, I got a few of his guns. A Marlin 30-30 that I have cleaned up and shoot, a WWI Swedish Mauser that I'm not about to try to shoot and this rifle, which dad always just called "The 30-06". I'm hoping that someone on here might have some information and can give their opinion on what I should do.

The last time it was fired, that I know of, was when I shot it in the late 80's, up in the Seattle area. Before that we lived in Spokane and Boise and my dad still hunted with this every year through the late 70's, so it was a working hunting rifle and I'm pretty sure it was in this configuration.

U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1903 22339
I have tried to shoot new store purchased 30-06 ammo and it didn't fire. I realized that I didn't know much about it and looking for markings I found very few until I took the scope off and very clearly see that this is a low-serial number Springfield 1903. That got me started in where I could look on how to get this to fire.

Now, various places online tell me that the low serial numbers (below 80,000) were WWI era and they were single heat treated, thus causing the bolts to fail. This would explain the markings on the bolt, which seem to be consistent with a replacement bolt. However, it doesn't fire. Might the actual striker have been removed in the last 30 years?

I'm not wanting to change the rifle a lot from what it currently is, as this was the hunting rifle of my youth and it's been in the family for at least 50 or 60 years (maybe longer). But, it possible I'd like get it to shoot. Some of the comments I've read on other sites about low serial number 1903's have me concerned, but I'm not sure if it's just the bolt that I have to worry about ... as this did shoot as late as the 1980s.

Thoughts?

20200416_003034.jpg 20200416_145651.jpg 20200416_145736.jpg 20200416_145804.jpg 20200416_145824.jpg 20200416_145804.jpg 20200416_145747.jpg

First thought: Get that Swedish Mauser up and running- if it's in decent shape it will take most any game in CONUS.. That 6.5 Swede is accurate and very powerful...
As for the '06, if it fired no problem in the 1980's it should be good now- did someone remove the firing pin or something? A trip to a reputable gunsmith might be in order. Those unsightly screw holes can be plugged either with screws or tig welds... Good luck!

Two trains of thought....dont shoot it, itll kill you, or, its worked just fine for 100 years, just use it.
I will say,have inspected by a competent gunsmith just to be safe. I fall to the latter argument.

As to the Swede, post up some pics! They are wonderful shooters. I have an 1895 dated carbine that I shoot fairly regularly with no worries.

...and I have an 1898 three-digit serial-numbered Carl Gustaf m/96 that looks almost like new. Anyway, according to most mavens on the '03, it is not the bolt that is of concern, but the heat treatment of the receiver of those below certain serial numbers - I'm sure that Mountainbear will advise here.

You might, however, take a read of this meanwhile - it may or may not comfort you - YYMV -

And......a comment from another site -

The problem related to the LN 03s was caused by improper heat treating of the receivers.Not all of them are bad.The problem is in determining which ones are.The failure rate is not great but the chance is there.Here's some information on the subject Information On M1903 Receiver Failures I don't shoot low number rifles as I have others to shoot.Some people shoot theirs all the time.Most who do shoot theirs report shooting only issue or equivelent M2 ball loads or handloads under those specifications.The CMP sold those LN 03s with a non-shootable tag.They do not allow them in vintage rifle matches.
The receiver failure rate is something like 6 or 7 in a 100,000.The rate of serious injury resulting from a receiver failure is about 1 in a 100,000. LOL I guess it all depends on whether you want to take a chance on being that one.Frankly if you have another rifle I would use it and leave that one on the rack.Just my opinion.
The problem that TargetGunFan refers to with the M1917 rifles has more to do with the manner in which the barrels were originally installed on the receivers than brittle receivers and is mostly encountered on Eddystone manufactured rifles.

Last Edited:
Looking at the stock as well, I can't make sense of it. Doesn't seem to fit the profile of any other 1903, meaning it might be missing wood? The only think close was one of the NRA models.

What you have there is a pretty nice old sporter conversion of the Springfield 1903 rifle, should be just fine, just use factory ammo with it and not worry!
That all said, I would clean the last 40 years worth of gunk out of it and lube it up lightly! You can dissemble the bolt on your work bench pretty easy, and get a better idea of what's going on internally!

What you have there is a pretty nice old sporter conversion of the Springfield 1903 rifle, should be just fine, just use factory ammo with it and not worry!
That all said, I would clean the last 40 years worth of gunk out of it and lube it up lightly! You can dissemble the bolt on your work bench pretty easy, and get a better idea of what's going on internally!
Thanks, this seems like it's dead on. I'll see what I can find about the pin not working and if that doesn't show me anything I can fix myself I'll find a gunsmith around here to do it.

FYI These old war horses were cheap and available with plenty of ammunition for many many years. The German Mauser 98, the Swedish mauser 96 and the 1903 Springfield.
People would convert them to hinting rifles by cutting down the stocks in front and then drilling the receiver to accept a scope. All to save weight and mage them more comfortable to shoot.

They're great shooters all of them but as they're new to you I'd take them to a gunsmith for a once over. And have him check the chamber because they were often rechambered to 30-06 from their original calibers ( the Mauses) because for years the ammo was hard to get. Especially the 6.5 Swedish.

Go to a smith. Get the news on caliber and shoot them. They'll be great rifles. I would recommend Copeland Gunworks and their ad is below. Or message @Velzey

Welcome and have fun with your rifles

As I understand it, all those low-number springers were recalled and re-heat treated or destroyed. I had one for a time that had a star-gauged barrel. Can't speak for anyone elses' rifle but mine didnt show any signs of rapid disassembly... Good idea to get a knowledgeable smith check it out.
The 96 Mauser is sometimes used bored to heavy calibers like the '06 and 8mm. Used as a bear rifle in the Arctic... The 6.5X55 is a great caliber and has repeatedly taken polar bear and elk/moose.

As I understand it, all those low-number springers were recalled and re-heat treated or destroyed. I had one for a time that had a star-gauged barrel. Can't speak for anyone elses' rifle but mine didnt show any signs of rapid disassembly... Good idea to get a knowledgeable smith check it out.
The 96 Mauser is sometimes used bored to heavy calibers like the '06 and 8mm. Used as a bear rifle in the Arctic... The 6.5X55 is a great caliber and has repeatedly taken polar bear and elk/moose.

A disintegrating receiver doesn't do it gradually - it takes a while - like about 2.5 milliseconds. As for your note that the 6.5 has repeatedly taken moose - I 'spose you could say that - the Swedish and Norwegian game conservancy authorities have been using it since 1895, and since 1917, the Finns, to keep their populations down, so let's round it out to, say 5000 a year - 650,000 or so? I'd be convinced that it's useful.

Looking at the stock as well, I can't make sense of it. Doesn't seem to fit the profile of any other 1903, meaning it might be missing wood? The only think close was one of the NRA models.

Mr Bishop made the stock - it's a factory replacement from sometime in the '50s in the then popular 'Californian' style - another great AM stocker was Reinhardt Fajen.

General knowledge in the shooting community is low serial number O3 Springfield should not be fired. Most ranges and
all competitions such as CMP and NRA will not allow low number rifles on the line.:( I would not shoot the rifle. If it previously has
been fired with no problems is no indication of a serious failure may occur.:eek: What about the person next to you on the firing line when
that rifle comes apart? Sporterized O3 rifles are affordable and in most cases great shooters. Finding an unmolested one is much
harder. Save it as a wall hanger family heirloom.;) Looks like an original GI sling on your rifle?
My CMP O3 Springfield Armory with an original matching number "C" stock. Most O3s have a "S" stock. (straight)
DSC00085.JPG

General knowledge in the shooting community is low serial number O3 Springfield should not be fired. Most ranges and
all competitions such as CMP and NRA will not allow low number rifles on the line.:( I would not shoot the rifle. If it previously has
been fired with no problems is no indication of a serious failure may occur.:eek: What about the person next to you on the firing line when
that rifle comes apart? Sporterized O3 rifles are affordable and in most cases great shooters. Finding an unmolested one is much
harder. Save it as a wall hanger family heirloom.;) Looks like an original GI sling on your rifle?
My CMP O3 Springfield Armory with an original matching number "C" stock. Most O3s have a "S" stock. (straight)
View attachment 684739

Extract from post #44 -

'The heat treating method was immediately changed to a double heat treatment, and pyrometers were used to determine the temperature of the heated receivers. The change in heat treating was instituted between serial number 750,00 and 800,000 at Springfield and by serial number 285,506 at Rock Island Arsenal. Rifles manufactured after these serial numbers are referred to as "high numbered" receivers and are commonly stated to be safe to shoot.''

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top