JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife got to try a Ruger LCP2 .380 last week and really liked the size, weight and recoil from the caliber... especially after shooting my S&W .38, Colt .357 and a Glock 9mm. She started doing a lot of research on the LCP2, so I knew she was serious about getting one, which got me to looking at other option since I thought the LCP2 was a bit small for her to get a good grip on it... and I thought the recoil was just as much as the 9mm she shot from watching the hand reflex from the others in our group shooting both calibers. As I was looking for a place where we could shoot the LCP and one or two others in the same caliber together it was suggested that I look at the S&W .380 Shield EZ. So I started researching that one and watching YouTube videos and I had to agree that it looked like a good choice, plus it was reported easier to rack the slide.

After doing enough research to decide I wanted us to take a look at it, I started looking for one. Some of the local stores had the one with the thumb safety, but I didn't want that one. I wanted the version with out it... which it looked like most everyone else that bought them had the same idea as I couldn't find any at the places I checked locally and some of the online stores, although I did finally find it in a store in MN that had it in stock. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on getting it when I got a reply another thread here saying their gun store (Oregon Arms & Ammunition here in Hillsboro) had both flavors of the 380EZ, as well as the LCP2 and Glock 42 if we wanted to look at all of them together. My wife was out at one of her meetings so I ran by and took a look as it was only a few miles from where we live. I liked the feel of it and the slide action did feel a lot easier, so bought one and took it home. I figured either my wife would like it or we could still get the LCP2 (or something else) and I'd use this one.

When she got home and first saw it she thought it was going to be heavy like the 9mm Glock she had shot since it was bigger than the LCP2. She was surprised at how light it turned out to be when she picked it up. She went through the motions with it and was able to rack it ok. I think it will even get a little easier after we get it broke in. She liked the sights over the LCP2 as she could actually see them.

That was a complaint all of us had with the LCP2, the black sights got lost as we were shooting in the shadows of trees and it was hard to aim. The 2 white dots on the back sight and one white dot on the front sight really helps. The only area she had problems with was the slide release. She had to really push to get it to release. I also find it a bit stiff to depress but I'm hoping that it will get easier after breaking it in.

Now we just need to do some shooting with it to see how it does for her. We are both looking forward to that.

SW3801308.jpg

SW3801312.jpg

I used a little fluorescent orange nail polish on the front sight on my lcp2. Two coats of white first for primer, then two coats of orange... $5 solution that works great.
Don't buy an LCP2 for something you plan on shooting a lot.
Do buy one if you concealed carry. It's easy to make excuses to leave a bulky bigger gun at home... the LCP2 has been on my person every time I leave the house since the day I bought it right after they came out, because it is as comfortable to carry in pocket as a wallet or a cell phone.
I shoot it enough to keep a little muscle memory, but if I want to burn some ammo, my 9 is cheaper on ammo, and a lot more fun to shoot.
As with everything individual mileage may vary ;)

06E0A294-2E69-48B6-81B1-27872F229D97.jpeg 153BCB69-ECD1-4186-9526-9A2AE4AF8DF3.jpeg

My wife has one and really likes it as well. As for the slide release, it's more if a slide lock. We both have performance center shields and it takes a lot to release the slide with the slide release. So we use it just as a lock.

Kruel, right, the gun itself is not new, it came out at the first of 2018, but it's a new gun to me since I just bought it.

Reblwing, I've found if I take pressure off the slide release just a little it is easier to release. If I use just the slide release it takes a bit of downward pressure and the slide really slams forward. My wife is going to need to practice with this to see if she can get use to it enough so she can do it quickly when putting in a new clip and also to clear any mis-feeds or failure to feed issues that .380's seem to be prone to at times.

I'm not really a concealed carry person and I'm not sure how much my wife will either. I mainly want something that she is comfortable with and can shoot if she needs too should she carry it with her. She plans on getting a fanny type pack that has the ability to slide her hand in for the gun so she doesn't have to unzip it. Carrying something that way she doesn't really need something really tiny to conceal.

She liked the LCP2 because it was small and light, although that results in more recoil. The LCP2 throws brass a lot too, either it hits you in the forehead or it throws it about 15' to the side. Those of us standing behind and to the side of the person shooting it had to watch out for fly brass... kind of like catching popcorn. :D You are right about the LCP2 noting being something one would spend a lot of time target shooting... and we both like to target shoot. I think the .380 EZ will be a better size to target shoot without moving up to a 9mm.

Mike

NICE CHOICE!!

Note: at least for the 9mm/.40/.45 S&W M&P Shield series the slide lock is a lock — not a release. The instructions for those pistols actually state that to bring the gun to battery after reloading, rack the slide.

I don't know if it's the same for the .380EZ. But it could explain the difficulty with the slide "lock"

A gunsmith or gifted amatuer can loosen up that slide release a bit. Maybe a little angle change--a touch of parts
polishing. It really doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference. Or just slingshot it.

NICE CHOICE!!

Note: at least for the 9mm/.40/.45 S&W M&P Shield series the slide lock is a lock — not a release. The instructions for those pistols actually state that to bring the gun to battery after reloading, rack the slide.

I don't know if it's the same for the .380EZ. But it could explain the difficulty with the slide "lock"

I had thought that the slide could be released by pulling it back and letting it go forward, but this one didn't do that. It looked like it worked that way on the videos I've watched but I figured I just missed the shooter hitting the slide release lever. So I have only been using the release lever to release the slide.

It does work the way you say it does, if the clip has a bullet in it. I've not loaded it because I wanted to become familiar with it first and get use to how it operates... plus there is no need to load it until we get it to a place we can shoot it. I just put one bullet in the clip, inserted it and (making sure I wasn't pushing on the grip safety) I was able to bring the slide back a little bit and it was able to slide home like you said. Of course I immediately racked it again to pop the bullet back out. I have some snap caps on order so I can put them in the clips and see how it would work with a bullet in it and I would have realized that then. This is my first semi-automatic that I've ever owned and I have a number of things I need to learn. The revolver is so much simpler. :)

Bill, yea, I'm sure someone that knew what they were doing could improve it to some extent, although it might not be worth doing very much to this particular gun. Maybe if one of us was going to carry it every day or it was a more expensive 9mm are larger gun. In the house, this one will more than likely just be a backup to our pack of Bouviers. :)

Mike

Mike, If you want to shoot it you can be my guest at the CVSC range in Dundee. I need to go up to the range sometime soon to chrono some pistol ammo--we could meet there.

Mike,

Most semi-autos will lock open on an empty magazine (not clip!!!). That is probably what you are experiencing/describing. That way the shooter knows his mag (not clip!!!) is empty - when the last case is ejected and no more rounds are present, it will lock open.

And it's magazine/mag not clip. :p

Mike, If you want to shoot it you can be my guest at the CVSC range in Dundee. I need to go up to the range sometime soon to chrono some pistol ammo--we could meet there.

Thanks for the offer, Bill. Since it's a distance for me, it would have to be on a weekend if we can put together a time that works.

Mike

Well, a clip holds bullets together and it's a group of bullets that are inserted into the gun. Not to mention that I went to school during the "New Math" era when they also didn't teach us how to spell so it's easier for me to spell "clip" than it is "magazine". Plus it takes more key strokes. AND I was Air Force, not Army so we didn't have to learn about all that stuff. ;)

I use to worry about using the right terminology and since so many people on here use just letters to mean things, I finally gave up trying to figure it out. I sleep much better at night for it too. Now I'm not going to get any sleep because I'll be thinking about using magazine and not clip. It's terrible... at my age I need all of the sleep I can get. :)

Mike

I bought one last month and so far have run about 200 rounds of cheap range ammo through it. It is, as they promised, easy to work with. Haven't tried any hollow points yet so I can't comment on that, but I expect it to do just fine there also.
I'm left handed, so haven't tried to release the slide with the slide lock except with my trigger finger, which doesn't work for me. I'm used to slingshotting semi autos anyway.
I find the grip a little small for my hands, and I'm thinking about putting Tractiongrips on it. I know it won't add much, but I might like the grip better. I dunno.
I do wish S&W would have come out with some sight replacement options, like night sights or fiber optics, as well. The sights on the EZ mount differently than any other pistols sights that I've ever seen.
As popular as they seem to be though, maybe some aftermarket companies will step up.

Anyway, so far I'm liking it.

I thought I read that there were sight options for the EZ, but I may be wrong. It might be I read that the sights could be changed if you wanted to, but of course that means there has to be options to change to. I think you are right that once the 3rd party vendors catch up with it there will be options, since it also has rails for hanging things onto it. I think the white dots are a big improvement over the LCP2 although I've never used a gun with the night sights I've heard mention. I've seen the fiber optic sights.

Mike