JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday, in fact. With the recent drought here in Western Europe, there have been some great opportunities for researchers with drones to fly the landscape looking for possible sites of historical interest.

37073150_1343509355782766_7803256025443729408_n.jpg

This culminated in the mind-blowing discovery of not one, but a number of hitherto unknown and HUGE sites near the New Grange Neolithic site by the River Boyne in Ireland. Here is a good link -

https://mythicalireland.com/MI...-lifetime-discovery/

And here is the thread on boards.ie -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulleti...522317#post107522317

I can only hope that the RoI has sufficient resources and field archeologists to make the most of these new opportunities dropped into their laps.

For those of you here with any archeological interest, or even an Irish connection, this entire event is nothing less than pure gold in spades.

tac

Last Edited:
Sweet. Sadly my lineage is only traced back to the mid 1600's in Ireland.

Not far enough back to have been my family that buried those stones.

Sweet. Sadly my lineage is only traced back to the mid 1600's in Ireland.

Not far enough back to have been my family that buried those stones.

Irish ethnic population history being what it is - ie., sketchy, to say the least, it's entirely possible that none of the current population of the island had ANY ancestral connection to those early Irish people. The Celts arrived abpout 800BC and more or less displaced the original population. According to the cremated remains so far found from those very early times, making data recovery extremely difficult, show that much of the current population that was not infused with 8th/9th 10th C Scandinavian genetic material, like my own, came from the Iberian peninsula. Remember that they are likely to have been the descendants of the original pre-Flood population that occupied the Western part of Europe before the 8000BC combination of the tsunami from the Storegga landslip and general post-glacial global warming raised the sea levels, making ALL the british Isles into the archipelago that it is now.

I made a comment on another forum that some of you might visit - sigforum.com - '99% of what we think we know is pure conjecture, the rest is guesswork.'

tac

Great story finding things like that. There's an endless trove of history to find.

Rather amazing how regular and precise the henge was lain out. Would have been beautiful to see.

They were people with the same minds as we have, but with a different type of technology. There has always been intelligence and intellect - who would have thought these days of coming up with a way to measure the distance to the sun by using two shadows 200 miles apart, and gotten it right to within a couple of thousand miles? Or invented calculus, without the benefit of a zero? The ancient Sumerians in the middle east, AND the ancient Maya in the Americas, both came up with calendars that went five hundred million years into the future with astonishing accuracy - and remember that not a single one of the Meso-American paleo-population had the wheel.

The only limitations to their astonishing handicraft were those imposed by the lack of machinery.

tac

For anybody with a real interest in early pre-Christian Ireland, there is a great little book called 'Pre-Christian Ireland' by the noted historian, researcher and former Chairman of the National Monuments Advisory Council, Dr Peter Harbison.

The book is very well-written, and does NOT assume that the reader is in any way more than an interested amateur. My copy is signed by the author, whom I had the good fortune to meet at the Brú na Bóinne site back in the laties.

There is, on page 135, a line drawing of a leaf-patterned sword found at Dowris, Co. Offaly - here it is -

upload_2018-7-17_21-4-6.png

I made two of them a few years back - cast bronze in stone moulds, just like the originals were -

The pour -

upload_2018-7-17_21-15-1.png

The removal from the mould -

upload_2018-7-17_21-13-50.png

The fettle -

upload_2018-7-17_21-15-44.png

The result -

upload_2018-7-17_21-19-13.png

Nice?

I finished the polish using the original method - a piece of leather smeared in tree resin and run along the sandy floor of a stream - early sandpaper. It took mee three days almost non-stop.

tac aka Flarp upload_2018-7-17_21-5-30.png

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top