JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The cricket doesn't fit my daughter very well. The comb is too high. Also has a uncomfortable triggerand sights that are hard to see through or adjust. If you want a sigle shot, which I think has merrit, go with something you know will fit him. I really like the 10/22 youth model, I just think a sigle shot is better to start off with.

Thompson Center just came out with a miniaturized version of the Contender Carbine (in .22LR). Not just a short barrel, the stock is short, and the action is tiny. These caught my eye at the gun shows recently, and would be an excellent first gun! Pink Camo available for the girls too!

But then again, not having a scope, and only having one shot is precisely what allowed this gun to be a partner with my Dad in teaching me how to really shoot decent enough to engage effectively in competition when I became older. Kids that learn to shoot with irons, believe it or not, are very often RELUCTANT to go to a scope: they find comfort in the simplicity and easy understanding of the relationship between sight alignment and where their bullet will go.

I fully agree with this. To this day I find it VERY difficult to adapt to using a scope (or laser for that matter) and highly PREFER the open sight. It also falls under the ability to take in more of what is going on around you when you are not looking down a tunnel...

By all means look at a Remington 341. Bolt tube feed, short,long, longrifle. My family heirloom was made in 1930's. It shoots as good as any 22lr out there to this day ['cept maybe the specialized ones] Iron sites and the MOST important thing is the "wing" safety. Turn it up[blocking the sights] for 'safe'. It is the best reminder for using the safety everytime. Great for a beginner; if you open the bolt 1/2" you can see the shell in the chamber easily. Very user friendly for the novice.
And; as I can shoot the family gun today; it will last a life time....

First, I'm no gun authority. I did not grown up with guns, and I have been shooting for only a couple of years. I just bought ($449 new at Gun Broker in Clackamas), but have fired only one time at the range, a S&W M&P 15-22 that has an adjustable stock so that it could probably work for a younger kid. It is 5.5 pounds, but it is mostly plastic. There was a recent article on these AR type models in The Rifleman magazine. Anyway, it comes with aperture/front post sights and seemed accurate from the box, but it has a rail for adding a scope. I have not seen much talk of this type 22lr on this forum, so I am curious what others might think of this type of carbine.

They look cool but why!? For a few bucks more buy a 5.56... You can buy a .22 conversion kit for the 5.56 ar from various companies... My point is for $350 more you can have a rifle that shoots both...

I would swear by the Ruger 10/22.... if yo9u are clean and can wait (if applicable) you can usually find good deals on this at the local wally world or Bi-mart. Oh yea,... and I think Bi-mart still has a sale on the Butler Creek banana clips - steel lips! (TIP: when Bi-mart runs out of a sale item in the gun department, if they can, they almost always supplement it for the next best thing... at least until the date runs out! Example: the "hot lips" polymer lips mags were on sale at my local bi-mart. They sold out, so they started selling the steel lips at the sale price!)

My son who is now 34 learned on a Chipmunk (I think similar to Cricket) . A very safe bolt little gun. Shot a lot of sage rats with it. Even more after I scoped it. We both now have 10/22's all decked out. The chipmunk has a bolt and you must pull the knod on the back to cock the gun (Very safe)
Think safety. Semi autos are too much for a rookie.JMO

Savage Mark II FV - reasonably cheap and tack driver with the right ammo and the stock is certainly on the small side. He can re-stock it later if he wants a bigger stock.

just got my grand son a marlin 981t with a simmons scope on it. he has been shooting my rossi gallery repop for several years, he is 11 this year. time to focus and learn how to run a bolt action rifle with a scope. big game hunting is coming right up and he will be hunting with an old 257 roberts with a scope

I am personally a big fan of the Marlin Model 60. Cheap, reliable, accurate, and still fun to shoot as an adult. The model 60ss is very pretty, I own this one, and would be a nice gun to hand down. Whatever you get, I'm sure your kid will love it and have fond memories of shooting with Dad.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top