JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go to a firearms store and explain your situation and they may be able to point you in the right direction to get the answers you need. Get all permission to buy a gun in writing. If you fail a background check you may be in a fair amount of trouble.

Get it in writing stamped dated etc. before you do anything bottom line. Take a copy certified mail it to yourself and keep copy closed sealed.

Then proceed as planned to a local gun shop, however be prepared to be delayed. Government agencies are notoriously slow at process or sharing information and it will likely take your check longer to go through, and you may even be required to prove that you can own a firearm again if they decide to deny you. Unfortunately it is the process that we have now and must deal with for the time being.

As for selling a gun I don't see how that could be an issue in any case since you would have had to relinquish any firearms at the time of the felony and blah blah and so forth.

I believe it's the Oregon State Police that handle their own BGC's.
She's from Washington and Washington State FFL's send them to the Feds NICS hot line.

I believe it's the Oregon State Police that handle their own BGC's.
She's from Washington and Washington State FFL's send them to the Feds NICS hot line.
Just spoke with Oregon State Police's supervisor in the firearms dept, and they use the FBI hotline as well. I was talking to her about a discrepancy between Oregon law, and federal.

@cacooper62 I have no experience with getting people who have felonies their restored rights, but I hope you find the answers you need. You've paid your debt to society, you've learned, and I'm sure grown from the experience. I wish you the best of luck.

I would highly recommend that you get your record expunged. I have a personal friend that had a felony conviction that she had expunged. We both have our concealed carry permit and I've never had a felony and she can get her BGC passed ten times faster than I can. Sealing that record gives you a clean slate all around and you can legally and successfully pass a BGC to own firearms and obtain your carry permit. Best of luck to you, it can be done.

Last Edited:
I would highly recommend that you get your record expunged. I have a personal friend that had a felony conviction that she had expunged. We both have our concealed carry permit and I've never had a felony and she can get her BGC passed ten times faster than I can. Sealing that record gives you a clean slate all around and you can legally and successfully pass a BGC to own firearms and obtain your carry permit. Best of luck to you, it can be done.

Thank you for your advise! I will do it.

Thank you!

Thank you very much.

Just spoke with Oregon State Police's supervisor in the firearms dept, and they use the FBI hotline as well. I was talking to her about a discrepancy between Oregon law, and federal.

@cacooper62 I have no experience with getting people who have felonies their restored rights, but I hope you find the answers you need. You've paid your debt to society, you've learned, and I'm sure grown from the experience. I wish you the best of luck.

Lots of good information! I appreciate your response.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top