JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I'm interested in purchasing an affordable quad with some paddle tires to play on the dunes with. Doesn't have to be fancy or the fastest bike out there. It does need to be reliable. What do you all suggest and where is the price point on a used bike to get into the game. Here's where I want my cake and to eat it too. I'd like to do minor trail riding with it as well. At this point i'm not even sure the proper questions to ask. Thanks for any input.

Honda 400ex, though dirt bikes are so much better :D If you want something with a little more umph I would also get the suzuki z400. The honda is air-cooled, and the suzi is liquid. Both will do what you want, so I would scour craigslist until you see a good deal on either one. The 450s are probably a bit more than what you want. I love them, but they have some power, and will not be as reliable. If you have any other questions shoot me a Pm and I would be happy to help.

I second the Suzuki Z400. It is low maintenance, and as reliable as a hammer. Its got decent power, will get you anywhere you want to go, and is arguably more fun than the "racer" 450s. Also, there are tons of aftermarket parts to upgrade as you get better, or just customize to make it your own. That being said, a bike is funner. Is funner a word? :rolleyes:

I had a Stock banshee for a few years and loved it but im a 2 stroke fan. It went great in the sand with paddles and i made it work in the woods with knobbies also. My last quad was an older 660 raptor it was pretty fun they sit kinda high and and are very torquey wheelies easy but they can be found very cheap mine was 1500 needed a bit of work but not much.

I currently own a Z400 Suzuki, they are very nice and it is comparable to the LTR 450's I've had in the past. I would say stay away from the Honda 400ex's, they are air cooled and have a single over head cam. The Suzuki Z400's are liquid cooled with a fan and DOHC, you can get a decent one for the 2k - 2500 range.

Kawasaki 400's are basically the same as Suzuki 400's.

I have had a lot of quads over the years including many of the listed. If you're looking for a good play toy and best bang for the buck you might look at the Yamaha Warrior. They are a solid good bike and will get you around the dunes and dirt trails great. My favorite bike was a 87 warrior that would climb anything....but it was bored out to 430 with a 10mm stroker crank :p

I recently traded a 2003 Banshee for a 2004 400ex. The Banshee is no frills, rip-your-head-off fast, and downright dangerous in the wrong hands. If that's your style, go for it. The 400ex is way more civilized, with electric start and most of the bells and whistles. It still gets with the program, but it's something my wife and teenagers can ride. I wouldn't put them on the Banshee. My favorite is still my old Polaris 350 2 stroke, painted desert camo, and fitted out with a gun rack in front. It's gone everywhere I've asked it to and hauled many a deer out of the high desert.

I recently traded a 2003 Banshee for a 2004 400ex. The Banshee is no frills, rip-your-head-off fast, and downright dangerous in the wrong hands. If that's your style, go for it. The 400ex is way more civilized, with electric start and most of the bells and whistles. It still gets with the program, but it's something my wife and teenagers can ride. I wouldn't put them on the Banshee. My favorite is still my old Polaris 350 2 stroke, painted desert camo, and fitted out with a gun rack in front. It's gone everywhere I've asked it to and hauled many a deer out of the high desert.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top