JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 1971 Chevy c-20 I have the bed off and the paint stripped off .i can do the body and primer work I need someone with good spray equipment and experience. I tried on the bed and got bad "orange peel" and now Im soo frustrated I need help.
I do have a remington 700 for sale willing to split the scope off ....its a Burris elimanitor III $1,100 scope .
Anyway anybody got any ideas ?
Thank you
I cant hunt anymore so no use keeping the rifle just getting dusty.

I have a 1971 Chevy c-20 I have the bed off and the paint stripped off .i can do the body and primer work I need someone with good spray equipment and experience. I tried on the bed and got bad "orange peel" and now Im soo frustrated I need help.
I do have a remington 700 for sale willing to split the scope off ....its a Burris elimanitor III $1,100 scope .
Anyway anybody got any ideas ?
Thank you
I cant hunt anymore so no use keeping the rifle just getting dusty.
If I have a warm shop to paint in and a compressor with large capacity I would suggest just practicing with a harbor freight spray gun on some small panels or plastic bin lids/whatever. Orange peel has many causes but most often it's from too dry or too wet or improper spray distance from panel.

Also if u are painting a solid color u can color sand the paint after spraying. Color sanding and then buffing means that any orange peel, dust, bugs, runs all gets removed and it will look perfect after buffing. But beware that method ("cut and buff") is lots of work.

One nice thing about cut and buff method is u can paint outside (if temp is warm enough). If u don't do cut and buff method then u really need to use a real spray booth imo as u will get dust otherwise, no matter what u do.

Agree with @ilikegunspdx. A certain amount of orange peel is unavoidable and there are many causes, everything from ambient temperature to gun technique/settings. The good news is that all of that can be fixed or reversed. Fisheyes, mottling, pinholes, etc are a sign of a deeper problem like incompatibility of products, contaminates, or poor adhesion,

I don't have a booth to offer (have a couple of projects myself needing paint), but I will offer this piece of advice since you mentioned primer: Do NOT put your truck or even spot repairs in rattle can primer. If you make a repair like patch panels, cab corners, dent repair w a float of mud, cover it w paint. Primer is porous and will absorb/trap moisure and cause rust underneath. A quick shot of spray paint (gloss, any color Rustoleum) will protect your repair... it all has to get sanded off eventually before you seal and prime w a good 2k primer anyway.

Good luck w the project, sounds cool. Painting can be as frustrating as it is fun and rewarding, but it's expensive and labor intensive if you make a mistake... I've made a LOT. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has a booth to rent... like I said, I've got a couple of projects that are as close to scuff-n-shoot as you're likely to find in the wild. A couple intense days of prep would have em ready to spray.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.