JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 1917 SMLE MK3, better none as a #1 mk3. It has a headspace problem. I purchased a bolt head on ebay but it did not line up with the receiver when I screwed it into my bolt. The #1 mk3 does not have different size bolt heads like the #4s do.
I read somewhere where someone welded onto the bolt head to add spacing and machined it down to the correct headspace. I do not have a lathe to do that. I am thinking the best option for me is to get a different bolt assembly with better headspace. Anyone have a bolt to sell or another idea?

I have a 1917 SMLE MK3, better none as a #1 mk3. It has a headspace problem. I purchased a bolt head on ebay but it did not line up with the receiver when I screwed it into my bolt. The #1 mk3 does not have different size bolt heads like the #4s do.
I read somewhere where someone welded onto the bolt head to add spacing and machined it down to the correct headspace. I do not have a lathe to do that. I am thinking the best option for me is to get a different bolt assembly with better headspace. Anyone have a bolt to sell or another idea?
Check with Numrich Arms and give them the model of your enfeild. the bolt heads were numbered and designed to be changed as the headspace in the rifle changed. I think that there were three different sizes and were numbered 1 through 3.
?

Then.....
I can remember that my friend in Hawaii was a big fan of the Lee Enfields.
I can remember him saying that chamber and headspace was all over the place. Wartime mfn and/or since it's a rimmed cartridge. Humm.....

BTW.....is your gauge the button type (like the cheap MN gauges) or the cartridge-looking type.

BUT.....what do I know?
Wile_E_Coyote_Cerificate.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Ammo may be the issue. I just purchased 200 new, unfired cases. I will try loading them and see how they work. The old cases I have been using were of unknown origin and history.

I would be concerned why I have a headspace problem in the first place. If headspace is increasing at best a different bolt face will only provide a temporary solution to a possibly unsafe condition.

Appears that the .303 and 7.62 bolt heads are the same. Extractors are different.
Could I inquire?

Did you get some bolt heads and side by side, measure them? Or what other method did you use to evaluate the situation between bolt heads to come to that conclusion?

I'm only asking because I also wondered about that.

BTW.....Yes, I own an Ishaphore 2A1 but I've never bought a .303 SMLE. Mostly because of my fears over the availability of cheap surplus ammo in the future.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads