JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I have been searching for an answer for a trigger job problem I am having. I read a number of articles about adjusting a Remington 700 trigger and it sounded pretty simple. So I pulled the stock off my 2009 Model 700 ADL Varmint 26" barrel and scrapped the seal off the sear, over travel, and spring tension screws. I put a drop of oil on all three and then attempted to loosen the screws. The spring tension screw was easy yet I cannot get the other two to budge. I even put a few drops of liquid wrench and still not budging. I wondered if it really mattered if moved the other screws so I adjusted the trigger to 1.75 (same as my Savage Precision Carbine) went though the proper safety tests and yes it does matter. When slamming the bolt forward I found that the firing pin released about every 5th or 6th time. I tested it with a heavier weight of 2 and 2.5 and the firing pin still does not always hold. I know I need to go through the other steps of adjustment but can anyone with experience give me advise on how to get the other screws loose without stripping them out.

Was it the bottom front screw that you got loose? Sounds like it if you got it down to 1.75 pounds..

You need abit more sear engagement, and thats the back screw. Going under 2.5 pounds on a Rem factory trigger is not a good idea, but it can be done if you adjust the sear. But sometimes they just dont feel right.
Sounds like you have a good idea how to check them, and that was my main concern.

Anyhow, you may need to pour almost boiling hot water on it, if it looks like there is locktite on the screws.
Of that doesnt work, soak it in solvent. I have soaked the whole barreled action in the solvent tank, just to get those screws loose on the trigger.
Also set your screwdriver on the screwhead and lightly tap the head of the screw driver to help break them loose.

All else fails, Brownells is your friend!!

Yes, it was the bottom front screw that easily came loose. And I might be happy enough if I could get it down to 2.5 pounds. It was at 4.5 when I started. There may be locktite on the threads. I can see a slight hint of orange color when looking at the threads of the overtravel screw in the little sear window. So far I have used the liquid wrench (non-flammable) with tapping it slightly and now I have tried heating up the trigger by leaning it up against the blower of my wood stove (all the oil and chems where wiped off if anyone was wondering about a potential explosion) and now the 180 degree water trick just mentioned. I actually think it got hotter with the wood stove. What type of solvent would be best to soak it in? I have the liquid wrench, CLP, Carb cleaner, mineral spirits and maybe others out in the garage. Might some of these be a little too caustic? Oh, the front upper overtravel screw may be beginning to strip out . If that happens??? Brownells

I use the nasty carb cleaner type solvent. Nothing inside the trigger that will melt or disolve. Ah yes how woodstove may melt that old thread sealant. But dont let it get over 500 degrees :(

Timney makes a nice trigger for Rem 700's. I have a few.........:)

I am about to give up for tonight. I will soak it in carb cleaner overnight. Thanks for the help so far and oh yes, I have already been looking at the Timney. I wish I could get it for less than $135.

Nail polish remover or Acetone is your friend.
Use sparingly on the glue only, or be prepared to disassemble and re-lube the whole thing.
Which may not be a bad idea, as they tend to acquire grime and grit rather quickly.

And afterwards, if you EVER send it back to Remington for ANY reason, they will replace it with one adjusted to factory specs.

I am about to give up for tonight. I will soak it in carb cleaner overnight. Thanks for the help so far and oh yes, I have already been looking at the Timney. I wish I could get it for less than $135.

$125 at Sinclair. For all the hassle I'm reading so far a Timney would definitely be the way to go.

I changed my 700 trigger for a Timney and it was like night vs day.

Well, overnight soaking did not do the trick. I still couldn't loosen the sear or overtravel screws. I reinstalled it back to the 4.5 lbs and checked with slamming the bolt forward and bouncing the butt to the floor. The firing pin held tight. I'll be ordering a Timney in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the help and I will check with Sinclair.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top