JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend who is pretty new to firearms asking me for a recommendation on a shotgun. The issue is that he is left handed. (I am not.) He was considering an over-under because they are lefty friendly.

He wants one to shoot trap, skeet, home defense, and maybe even some duck hunting.

I suggested that he order a left handed pump because it would be more versitile and economical. While he is considering custom ordering something, that is typically more expensive with a longer wait.

So (finally) here is the question. Do any of you lefties shoot a "right handed" pump or semi auto shotgun? Do you have problems with shells ejecting into your face?

Suggestions, comments, and opinions appreciated...

Suggestions, comments, and opinions appreciated...

Ithaca gun makes a downward ejecting shotgun....., I've never shot one (always wanted a model 37), so I can't say if they're good or not.

This advice is mixed at best, since I don't know if they're even in business now.

Side by side, or over under, would work too for a southpaw.

While not a true lefty, I shoot long gun left handed. I use a Mossberg shotgun. The tang safety is on the top of the grip and works well for L/H or R/H shooters. They make a variety of shotguns for hunting and self defense. Big 5 used to sell a Mossberg combo package with a short and long barrel for self defense and hunting. I have no issue with the R/H ejection.

Remington offers left handed shotguns. They are mirror image with left hand ejection and a left hand safety mounted in the trigger guard. Because of the safety set up in the trigger guard, the R/H Remington is not as L/H friendly.

I own a Browning Auto 5, 2 870's, an old Ted Williams pump gun and an AR-15. IMHO, don't get hung up on the lefty stuff. The only thing on any gun I own that has been converted to lefthand use(with the exception of holsters) is the mag release on my M&P .40, and that's just sweet.

We grew up with not a ton of money, if you wanted to shoot, you shot what was there, right handed is what was on hand.

So now, when I get to use a gun that has all left handed controls, I am in utter disblief because I am used to right hand oriented controls.

That all being said, I think on AR style rifles, I will make the controls AMBI, but for the rest, I will keep them as they are. If I were buying a hunting rifle, I would opt. for lefthanded, but shotgun, I'd stick right handed and not worry about it. Maybe 3-4 shotguns down the road, I would treat myself, but not for everyday use.

Hey Mark, I'm a lefty...(architect) go figure...;)
I looked into left handed rifles/shotguns and finally decided to stay with right handed standard firearms for two reasons. They re-sell quicker to a bigger market of buyers, if I need to cash out for any reason and after shooting many models, none of them bothered me when ejecting past my face...I dont even know its happened.
I regularly shoot an 1100 Remington shotgun for skeet and the Ruger 10/22 and Mini 14 for fun...both are sweet from the left side. I've been considering an AR15 for my next purchase and I have talked myself into going with a standard rt side configuration, even though Stag Arms makes a lefty version.
Just my thoughts...hope it helps some! :s0131:
SBG:s0155:

I shoot a mossberg 500 thats right handed (i'm a lefty) and never had any problems. the safeties on mossbergs are pretty lefty friendly and the pump release is easy to manipulate IMO.

Last Edited:
Browning BPS ejects out the bottom.

I am right handed and right eye dominant. When I shoot, both eyes are open. If I switch shoulders and shoot left handed, I cant hit anything unless I close my right eye.

It would make sence to shoot from the side of your dominant eye. Any thoughts on this?

A real ambidextrous gun.
I have an uncle and cousin that while right handed have Ithaca 37s. Swear by them. My other uncles who think the first uncle is a blowhard agree with him on this choice.
But, they are getting hard to find.

I've been a lefty all my life and I have never had a problem with a "right handed" firearms. The only one that offers a small inconvienence is the revolver because I need to switch hands to reload or some bullpup models.

Bottom line it is more of psych/perceived issue than a real one. Get a righty and enjoy.

Though I am right handed in all other respects, I have always shot long guns left handed, mostly because of my dominant left eye... But I have never had a problem shooting my rifles which are right handed. :s0155:
I shoot my handguns right handed though:huh: Weird huh???

And I'm left-handed too! I have owned a Remington 870 pump action shotgun, and fired a Remington 1100 semi-auto. I never felt any effect from ejection, even with the semi-auto. I don't know about recently made Remington shotguns, but the earlier ones were superb....................elsullo :s0155:

Lefty here also and grew up shooting a Browning Auto. No problems what so ever. Even now I have all right handed guns. I did break down and get a lefty stag (now my son has a AR also) :D I complain more about the pistols over the long guns.

I'm a lefty and shoot a Browning BPS. With the bottom eject and tang safety it truly is ambidextrous. However, the only gun I have ever had trouble shooting lefty was my brothers Marocchi. It has a button on the left side of the trigger guard to slide the triggers forward and back, and trying to shoot that lefty my finger hit the button. I've never had a problem with any other gun.

I shoot lefty and all of my rifles are righty. No problems, never been hit in the face with ejecting cases. Cycling a bolt rifle isn't too hard either, just a tad bit of practice required to get it right but it does break the sight picture.

Keith

The only firearm I opted for the lefty version on was my Savage .17HMR and while I like the fact that it's "made" for my left-handedness I still haven't gotten used to the controls being on the "wrong" side! :D

Most southpaws, besides being highly intelligent ;) , have learned to live with being in a right-handed world so shooting right-handed weapons isn't much of an issue.

Plus, in addition to right-handed resale value and market being better there is the concern over availability of lefty-specific parts to consider as well. (Though I am considering a 6.8 SPC lefty from Stag for my next AR build. :s0155: )

Oh, and +1 on the ambi-safety on my other AR! :woot:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top