JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend who is pretty new to firearms asking me for a recommendation on a shotgun. The issue is that he is left handed. (I am not.) He was considering an over-under because they are lefty friendly.

He wants one to shoot trap, skeet, home defense, and maybe even some duck hunting.

I suggested that he order a left handed pump because it would be more versitile and economical. While he is considering custom ordering something, that is typically more expensive with a longer wait.

So (finally) here is the question. Do any of you lefties shoot a "right handed" pump or semi auto shotgun? Do you have problems with shells ejecting into your face?

Suggestions, comments, and opinions appreciated...

Suggestions, comments, and opinions appreciated...

Ithaca gun makes a downward ejecting shotgun....., I've never shot one (always wanted a model 37), so I can't say if they're good or not.

This advice is mixed at best, since I don't know if they're even in business now.

Side by side, or over under, would work too for a southpaw.

While not a true lefty, I shoot long gun left handed. I use a Mossberg shotgun. The tang safety is on the top of the grip and works well for L/H or R/H shooters. They make a variety of shotguns for hunting and self defense. Big 5 used to sell a Mossberg combo package with a short and long barrel for self defense and hunting. I have no issue with the R/H ejection.

Remington offers left handed shotguns. They are mirror image with left hand ejection and a left hand safety mounted in the trigger guard. Because of the safety set up in the trigger guard, the R/H Remington is not as L/H friendly.

I own a Browning Auto 5, 2 870's, an old Ted Williams pump gun and an AR-15. IMHO, don't get hung up on the lefty stuff. The only thing on any gun I own that has been converted to lefthand use(with the exception of holsters) is the mag release on my M&P .40, and that's just sweet.

We grew up with not a ton of money, if you wanted to shoot, you shot what was there, right handed is what was on hand.

So now, when I get to use a gun that has all left handed controls, I am in utter disblief because I am used to right hand oriented controls.

That all being said, I think on AR style rifles, I will make the controls AMBI, but for the rest, I will keep them as they are. If I were buying a hunting rifle, I would opt. for lefthanded, but shotgun, I'd stick right handed and not worry about it. Maybe 3-4 shotguns down the road, I would treat myself, but not for everyday use.

Hey Mark, I'm a lefty...(architect) go figure...;)
I looked into left handed rifles/shotguns and finally decided to stay with right handed standard firearms for two reasons. They re-sell quicker to a bigger market of buyers, if I need to cash out for any reason and after shooting many models, none of them bothered me when ejecting past my face...I dont even know its happened.
I regularly shoot an 1100 Remington shotgun for skeet and the Ruger 10/22 and Mini 14 for fun...both are sweet from the left side. I've been considering an AR15 for my next purchase and I have talked myself into going with a standard rt side configuration, even though Stag Arms makes a lefty version.
Just my thoughts...hope it helps some! :s0131:
SBG:s0155:

I shoot a mossberg 500 thats right handed (i'm a lefty) and never had any problems. the safeties on mossbergs are pretty lefty friendly and the pump release is easy to manipulate IMO.

Last Edited:
Browning BPS ejects out the bottom.

I am right handed and right eye dominant. When I shoot, both eyes are open. If I switch shoulders and shoot left handed, I cant hit anything unless I close my right eye.

It would make sence to shoot from the side of your dominant eye. Any thoughts on this?

A real ambidextrous gun.
I have an uncle and cousin that while right handed have Ithaca 37s. Swear by them. My other uncles who think the first uncle is a blowhard agree with him on this choice.
But, they are getting hard to find.

I've been a lefty all my life and I have never had a problem with a "right handed" firearms. The only one that offers a small inconvienence is the revolver because I need to switch hands to reload or some bullpup models.

Bottom line it is more of psych/perceived issue than a real one. Get a righty and enjoy.

Though I am right handed in all other respects, I have always shot long guns left handed, mostly because of my dominant left eye... But I have never had a problem shooting my rifles which are right handed. :s0155:
I shoot my handguns right handed though:huh: Weird huh???

And I'm left-handed too! I have owned a Remington 870 pump action shotgun, and fired a Remington 1100 semi-auto. I never felt any effect from ejection, even with the semi-auto. I don't know about recently made Remington shotguns, but the earlier ones were superb....................elsullo :s0155:

Lefty here also and grew up shooting a Browning Auto. No problems what so ever. Even now I have all right handed guns. I did break down and get a lefty stag (now my son has a AR also) :D I complain more about the pistols over the long guns.

I'm a lefty and shoot a Browning BPS. With the bottom eject and tang safety it truly is ambidextrous. However, the only gun I have ever had trouble shooting lefty was my brothers Marocchi. It has a button on the left side of the trigger guard to slide the triggers forward and back, and trying to shoot that lefty my finger hit the button. I've never had a problem with any other gun.

I shoot lefty and all of my rifles are righty. No problems, never been hit in the face with ejecting cases. Cycling a bolt rifle isn't too hard either, just a tad bit of practice required to get it right but it does break the sight picture.

Keith

The only firearm I opted for the lefty version on was my Savage .17HMR and while I like the fact that it's "made" for my left-handedness I still haven't gotten used to the controls being on the "wrong" side! :D

Most southpaws, besides being highly intelligent ;) , have learned to live with being in a right-handed world so shooting right-handed weapons isn't much of an issue.

Plus, in addition to right-handed resale value and market being better there is the concern over availability of lefty-specific parts to consider as well. (Though I am considering a 6.8 SPC lefty from Stag for my next AR build. :s0155: )

Oh, and +1 on the ambi-safety on my other AR! :woot:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads