JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
No smith recommendation, but here is "anything"
I've made a few with reasonable success from Starrett Steel feeler gauges, Brownells Spring steel assortment packs and even a broken spring from some sort of farm implement but am not a gunsmith. And do not tout any sort of expertise, just a roll up my sleeve and hope for the best, sort. Annealing and shaping is easy but tempering and drawback admittedly can be frustrating with crude equipment. I would stay away from multi function springs for sure.
I personally would recommend you exhausting a few gun part options first.
Here are some I have found useful:
Jack First in Rapid City South Dakota
Numrich
Brownells
Bob's Gun Shop
Wolff Gun Springs
If that doesn't find what you want and others offer no smith source with spring making experience.
Do some online DOY searches on simple spring making. flat or leaf springs really are not rocket science, break out the briquette barbeque, hairdryer to fan the coals, hacksaw, files and emery cloth and give it a try. You may be surprised what you can do with a little grit and determination.

Velsey, he needs the #5 on the schematic.
It's a center pin catch spring.

HarringtonandRichardson_1904LargeFrame_schem.jpg

Last Edited:
I've had luck using the spring steel bristles from a street sweeper brush - amazing how often you find those bristles lying in the gutter in many larger cities. - they also are great stock for lock picks lol

Broken recoil starter springs from chainsaws and small engines as well.
most motor shops and lawn/garden repair shops are good sources as well as landscape companies.
You can get lots of how to on google and u tube.
Street sweeper bristles was my first thought also!

I've worked on a few High Standard pistols and they have a similar spring.
Take a look at part # 36 for a model Sport King M-103 shown for sale at Numrich.
Might be worth a try.

HighStandard_SportKingM103_schem.jpg

Yes number 5 on the revolver and jbett98 that number 36 may work I think I will order one to see thanks. I guess I could wait for the next time the sweeper comes thru my neighbor hood and then go look for a bristle or two.

Numrich offers free shipping if you use the code of the day offered when you call their 1-800 # in the morning.
I have a Sports King pistol and you can take a look at the little V spring to see if it would work on your project.

Thanks everyone for your ideas on material and substitutions for the spring. Just so happens I was in my junk drawer and pulled out a small binder clip. Then it hit me that it was the correct shape, I cut off a slice, honed it to thickness with my sharpening hones, then fit it to the center rod latch and voila it works perfect.
Thanks again everyone!!!!

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews