JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK - so I am thinking of a red dot for my PCC.
I know little to nothing about them - and only looked down one once on an AR.
I am reading about different styles, IE reflex, tube, prismatic and holographic.
If I recall the one I looked through seemed like the dot was 'floating around'.
If I consider one I want one that when I look through it I have a solid red dot, no movement weird images etc.
All help appreciated!

OP:

based on only my personal experience, here's a few points to consider:

My first 'red dot' was the original Scandinavian Aimpoint first introduced about 30 years ago.
Mounted on my XP100 308, it instantly made me considerably more accurate. It was rather eerie in that the dot DID 'float around' out there in space. I could approach from any angle in the eyepiece, as long as the dot was touching the target I could expect good hit out to 200 yards. Later mounted on 7.5" Redhawk 44 and found similar eerie but accurate remained. The only down side was the tube was largish, maybe around 4.5" and about 1" diameter. Seemed nearly as large as the lower power glass scopes of the era.

About 10 years ago I suffered thru the efforts of buying an "economy model" red/green dot Chinese brand product. While under $40 they all wasted time & money & proved inadequate. One dealer replaced one TWICE and finally gave store credit on 'something better'.

That introduced me to the Fast Fire 2, which was spendy at nearly $200 at the time. Flat screen with no tube. It has worked well in all the time I've had it, and gave me new reason to buy the new Fast Fire 3, mounted on another pistol.

'Reflex' design I believe, in my range-game use these have both excelled at being small package, adding little to hand gun bulk, and remaining accurate & reliable regardless of which pistol wore them. I like the package to 'blend in' to the handgun, not dominate via bulk. I appreciate the Sig Romeo mounted on a 320 for various features, one of which is 'factory co-witness' configuration. In reality, my eye sees little difference in the actual 'red dot' production compared to the Fast Fire line. The Romeo seems a bit bulkier and is more expensive to buy at retail.

The other very high quality for the cost, is the Burris TRS-25. Often on sale for under $50, one of the real deals in the optic retail market IMHO. Slightly large tube type, I favor this one on my PCC.

My personal use has not needed the advantages of the holograph style.

All this said, there are considerably advantages to the 'red dot' units; I can shoot faster/more accurately in pistol matches with than without them. Even using a mere 1.5x glass optic a few times in speed steel, I was not satisfied with the configuration of the package. While I prefer glass scopes at a certain distance & actual x-ring accuracy, the choices arose from my own particular needs. Good luck with your search.

Hope this adds to your 'user background' review.

Thanks for the reply.
While I had the opportunity to try 'shooting' a couple red dots unfortunately I discovered they are not for me.
I could not get a clear sight pic with the dots and shot very poorly.
I also had the opportunity to try out a couple low power scopes and shot very well with them - and on rifles I was not familiar with so it looks like 'dots' are off the table for me.

it looks like 'dots' are off the table for me.
good to find out before making the purchase!!!
although for my own eye condition, in short-distance range games it is adequate to not need the kind of 'clear sight picture'; simply placing the dot within the blurry field of the target has proven effective. Fortunately I discovered the marvels of Leupold red dot rifle scopes for actual 'clear sight picture'.

The circle seems faster on close targets than a dot.;) I had an exspensive Eotech. This Vortex is
much clearer and larger field of view than the Eotech.
I just bought a Vortex Spitfire Prisim Scope. $170 at Cabelas and Midway.
Circle/Dot green or red reticle. Vortex® Spitfire Prism Scope : Cabela's

1564794122338.png

I like the Burris Fastfire 2 and 3 for handguns. I have 4 of them. No problems over several years of use. I
prefer the fast fire 3 because you don't have to dismount it to change the battery. I have one
on the back of a 45 acp 1911 for 10+ years with no problems. Pretty sturdy sight to withstand
riding on top of a 1911 slide. Much harder on the sight than a frame mounted on a 22 pistol.
DSC00185.JPG

@RVTECH
I have a few red dots and some prism optics. I prefer both actually. I know the red dots I have produce a good and nice starburst from the astigmatism but on the rifles I have the prisms on, they are more of that 'rugged duty' style that I don't want to rely upon a battery if needed.

I wish you were closer, could shoulder and shoot to see what you like.

The Prism has the ability to be red/green illuminated (Vortex Spitfire) but I run it black with the 3MOA dot in the center. I can get shots on at 200Y easily.

Thanks for the reply.
While I had the opportunity to try 'shooting' a couple red dots unfortunately I discovered they are not for me.
I could not get a clear sight pic with the dots and shot very poorly.
I also had the opportunity to try out a couple low power scopes and shot very well with them - and on rifles I was not familiar with so it looks like 'dots' are off the table for me.

Watch the target, not the reticle/dot.

If you want some help, come up and I'll help you out...no charge.

Isn't Wickiup in Arizona?
Anyway I like red dots a lot. They make aiming a lot faster for my tired old eyes.
I like Eotech and the Vortex Holosight the best. They are fast and accurate for my needs.

I just started playing around with red dots myself (maybe a yr ago.) so my knowledge is pretty limited, but the learning curve is only steep at the very beginning... once ya get it, ya got it.

I have a Vortex Strikefire ll and a Burris FFIII, both on different ARs. Primary sight for the former, backup to a 3-9x variable scope on the other... they're fun.

I just mounted a Vortex Venom 6moa onto my Canik TP9SFX... I mean like, two days ago, so I haven't shot or zeroed it yet but it (all of them,actually) seems to be worth the extra coin when compared to friends' considerably less pricey optics from Sightmark or Holosun.

That said, none of mine are top of the food chain optics and the Holosun products get really good reviews in spite of their lower buy-in cost. They may all be made in the same facility as far as I know...

What I do know is that I can't justify the cost of an Eotech holo sight, not even to myself.... and I can talk myself into almost anything.

I have a Burris FFIII on a G19, Vortex on a G34 and a Leupold Delta Point on a G40. They all work great and I like shooting with them. I prefer the Burris over the Vortex and of course the DP is the best and worth the money. It is motion activated. Shoot with some before you make a decision.

Isn't Wickiup in Arizona?
Anyway I like red dots a lot. They make aiming a lot faster for my tired old eyes.
I like Eotech and the Vortex Holosight the best. They are fast and accurate for my needs.
It's LaPine, just south of Bend

Hey thanks for the offer and I wish I were closer to take you up on it!

RV, I'll tell you it's well worth the drive, I've made the trip from Corvallis a couple times (same drive time as from La Pine, if I don't get stuck in traffic), fortunately more times from Oregon City. I know a few guys that come from the Seattle/Tacoma/Bremerton area, not once or twice but multiple times and they are slated for more classes. For you it would be a straight shot up 97, it should be a nice drive, you could check out the other end of the Deschutes.

i have an utg red dot that had cost about $40. I have issues with the dot being "blurry" and i already have astigmatism correcting glasses. It's pretty hard for me to shoot accurate with it. Definately shooting more accurate with iron sights. I'm thinking about a prism red dot or a low powered scope with long eye relief...but I cant justify spending more that 70$ on something i use so occasionally....

OK - so I am thinking of a red dot for my PCC.
I know little to nothing about them - and only looked down one once on an AR.
I am reading about different styles, IE reflex, tube, prismatic and holographic.
If I recall the one I looked through seemed like the dot was 'floating around'.
If I consider one I want one that when I look through it I have a solid red dot, no movement weird images etc.
All help appreciated!
EoTech makes a Great One called their 512. It uses 2 AA Batteries and offers an excellent sighting system for a Rifle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top