JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OPB used to get about $200 a year from me but after the Juan Williams firing and the Schiller (ron) and Schiller (vivian) BS I quit listening and quit sending.
Funny, my life is no worse.

ah america where we are free to have opinions. i find it funny that most people don't understand that anyone talk or in politics is selling something. i just ain't buyin' none of it right or left.

I used to watch and listen to OPB 'news' roughly twice as much as I would watch MSNBC, FOX, etc... I thought they were more objective, fair and balanced. Then I sold my tv about a year ago and quit watching and listening to broadcast and mainstream news. When I recently heard NPR's All Things Considered I was a little shocked to find out that they are just like the corporate guys, only they come in a different package. What a difference a little distance makes. I'm really glad I sold my tv.

NPR Host Stepping Aside After Husband Goes to Work for Obama

Michele Norris, public radio heavyweight and host of NPR's All Things Considered, is stepping down from hosting the network's flagship program as her husband, Broderick Johnson, accepts a senior advisor position with President Obama's re-election campaign...

Whodathunk?

Not sure of the message here... Is it an attempt at irony that the husband of a radio personality would work in politics? That his political party is Democratic? Or that Michelle withdrew to avoid an impression of impropriety or undue influence (unlike the political machinations of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and his wife).

As noted above, tax money plays a minor role in NPR, in terms of the national budget. The majority comes from listeners like you (me).

The next time someone tells you conservative talk radio is full of hate speech and should cease to exist, tell them something like "You must listen a lot to know that". The response is always something like "I never listen, can't stand it". Your point will go unnoticed.

Of course, I seldom watch or listen to their political blather. <snip>
As I surf the various channels that my cable system offers, I often run across one wacko left wing program called "Democracy Now." It is moderated by a very ugly woman (I'll bet she never roped in a man) that spews out all kinds of stuff that I din't care for. The minute I come across this program I push the button to move on.

Then I point out that if they only listen to things they agree with, and ASSUME they feel is right, how will they ever expand their frame of reference,...

Hmmm...

I find NPR and BBC to be far more straightforward and accurate than those outlets making noise for a profit. They are far more likely to survive a fact check without egg on their faces.

They do tend to neglect the fact that the government is coming to take our guns, and that we should all lay in two years food and five years ammunition for the end of times, and that the black helicopters are circling, still circling, circling round and round overhead. Or in my head...

Anyway, I appreciate having NPR on the air, though some of the programming is drivel. BBC gives some perspective on how other parts of the world see us, and their interviews are typically sharper than the pablum on US commercial media. An I was surprised at how frequently al-Jazeera English came off as centrist; I expected a more hostile and prejudiced stream, but they are really making an effort to achieve neutrality. I don't think they always succeed, but I admire the effort.

NPR Host Stepping Aside After Husband Goes to Work for Obama

Michele Norris, public radio heavyweight and host of NPR's All Things Considered, is stepping down from hosting the network's flagship program as her husband, Broderick Johnson, accepts a senior advisor position with President Obama's re-election campaign...

Whodathunk?

This actually seems to me like a responsible action on behalf of Michelle Norris. She's removing herself from a position of media influence prior to the real campaign. If she were to retain it, i'm sure that folks could have (would have) used it against Obama/her husband as a conflict of interest, or at the least, imply she has a conflict.

I'm not sure what about this you think is odd. Seems like a good decision.

OPB and its NPR counterparts in the other six states I have lived in have always been liberal and generally anti-gun. I first noticed it in the late 1960's and it hasn't changed. I guess each generation has to hear it for themselves and make up their own mind as to how strongly they feel about it. While I have always liked some of their radio and television programming, I have never donated a dime (other than tax money) and never will unless they change their point of view on firearms and related.

Like I said, no more of my money to Liberals.
And I'll continue to listen to KMHD radio in Potelund because it gives me warm fuzzies to know that I am using something Liberals pay for. When they go broke and go off the air I'll just chuckle and re-up my satelite account.

Guess I must be in the minority here but NPR and BBC are the only news that I watch/listen to. I've come to dislike and ignore all the 24 hour news channels Fox, CNN, MSNBC are all the same. They report gossip more than real news, how much time did they spend covering the Micheal Jackson's trial or the death of Anne Nicole Smith. And when they do cover "news" they spend most of the time yelling and pointing the fingers.

There is a tremendous difference between Fox and MSNBS. I agree listen to what you want......... But critical thinking comes into effect when listening to any station.

But like I said above there is a huge difference between those 2 stations... You can't honestly say they are the same............

BBC is no longer the neutral reported of news that it used to be a couple of decades ago. They have been populated by politically active lefties and push out that point of view. There are many ways to push a point of view without being blatant about it. The most simple and common method is by omission.
Let's take for example the death of a US Border Patrol agent. The man is killed using a firearm that is tracked to the Fast and Furious operation. The incident is mostly ignored by major media outlets and simply because of the political affiliation of the administration involved. If the administration was one with whom the media was politically aligned with, the public would be treated to endless exposes and journalistic investigations into the matter.

I will give BBC that they at least cover the world and world events, and not just the cotton candy garbage that the US media outlefts put out there.

I just wrote a huge articulate post covering all this below, and then it blew up when I tried to post it.....aaargh! This post will be more terse, but you'll get the point.

Grunwald, your post was a little unclear on the BBC not making the point about the Border Agent. Just to clarify, the Beeb (as its known over there) did cover that point.
BBC News - Inquiry into US anti-gun trafficking operation ordered

I'm not sure I could challenge the assertion that they have gone heavily left, I have no evidence to support it either way....I just have to say that I've seen better balanced reporting on the US than I would have done through US Media.

As for PBS/OPB, listen to Fresh Air this afternoon. David Kenneth was asked about Gun Restriction in NYC, his response...."How's that working for you!?" For a lefty news organzsation (one that is pre-edited) this was quite the sentence!
Fresh Air from WHYY : NPR

I have to say, I like the BBC and OPB because the news is not sensationalized. I cannot watch CNN, FOX, MSNBC or any other TV 'news' channel for that fact. If I wanted to watch a 'show' i'd tune into Survivor, at least I know that's not rigged, right!? I also got turned onto the times of India as well....now that's quite unique view on things!

And lastly.....here is the problem of having a tax payer run media outlet....you have to provide balance! I can't find the actual article I remember, but this will do. Can you imagine what any news media would do if it was held to the same restrictions that the BBC has to live with on a daily basis!?
NewsWatch | Notes | Balancing the political scales

I just wrote a huge articulate post covering all this below, and then it blew up when I tried to post it.....aaargh! This post will be more terse, but you'll get the point.

Grunwald, your post was a little unclear on the BBC not making the point about the Border Agent. Just to clarify, the Beeb (as its known over there) did cover that point.
BBC News - Inquiry into US anti-gun trafficking operation ordered

I'm not sure I could challenge the assertion that they have gone heavily left, I have no evidence to support it either way....I just have to say that I've seen better balanced reporting on the US than I would have done through US Media.

As for PBS/OPB, listen to Fresh Air this afternoon. David Kenneth was asked about Gun Restriction in NYC, his response...."How's that working for you!?" For a lefty news organzsation (one that is pre-edited) this was quite the sentence!
Fresh Air from WHYY : NPR

I have to say, I like the BBC and OPB because the news is not sensationalized. I cannot watch CNN, FOX, MSNBC or any other TV 'news' channel for that fact. If I wanted to watch a 'show' i'd tune into Survivor, at least I know that's not rigged, right!? I also got turned onto the times of India as well....now that's quite unique view on things!

And lastly.....here is the problem of having a tax payer run media outlet....you have to provide balance! I can't find the actual article I remember, but this will do. Can you imagine what any news media would do if it was held to the same restrictions that the BBC has to live with on a daily basis!?
NewsWatch | Notes | Balancing the political scales

Please re-read my post: I said "mostly ignored" and was speaking of the media in general.
I did read the article that you linked to and even that is a good example of what I was pointing out.

Let's dissect it a little:

At the top of the story is this sentence/paragraph"
"Some of those firearms have been indirectly linked to the shooting of a US Border Protection agent in Arizona."
Perfect example of crafting a story to minimize negative impact of the event by using the word "indirectly".

Later in the story (toward the bottom) we find:
"Two of the weapons used in the ATF operation were found at the scene of a gunfight that killed US Customs and Border Protection agent Brian Terry in December. No-one has been charged in Mr Terry's shooting, and the ATF has said there is no evidence proving the Fast and Furious weapons found at the scene were used in the shooting"

The story repeats the statement from the ATF, the agency at the center of the controversy and there is no follow up whatsoever from the reporter.
How about a simple question of "were there ballistic tests performed?".
Perhaps an even simpler question of - "were those weapons fired?".
I would also like to know as to why it was the ATF investigating itself and not the FBI? It is a clear example of a conflict of interest.

To me this article is a good example of bias through omission. It is most likely that had this been done under the Bush administration there would be a lot more investigative reporting and a lot more stories about this particular incident.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top