JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So for those of you like to hunt with a muzzleloader or want to hunt with a muzzleloader here is a summary of the regulations for Washington.

Please note that I am not a lawyer , refer to the 2018 Washington State Big Game Pamphlet for the actual wording and rules....

You can use either Black Powder or a black powder substitute....

A muzzleloader is considered loaded if you have powder , patch , ball in the bore and if you are capped or primed...

.40 caliber and above is legal for deer....all other big game must use .45 or larger...
Buckshot may be used for deer ... if it is #1 or larger and the smoothbore is .60 caliber ( 20 gauge ) or larger...

If you are hunting small game with a side x side you may keep both barrels loaded...if you are hunting big game than you can only have one barrel loaded...

You may carry a handgun for self-defense while muzzleloading hunting...but you can not use it to dispatch game...

A muzzleloading handgun can be used for big game...if .45 caliber of larger...with a rifled bore and a barrel of at least 8 inches...and be capable of taking at least a 45 grain charge...
A percussion revolver can be used for grouse , cottontail rabbits and snowshoe hares...

Modern cartridge primers can be used...
Sights can be : open , peep , fiber optic....No scopes...

Sabots are allowed to be used as of course round ball and lead concials

Have a great hunt this year...have fun and be safe...
Andy

My big three muzzleloading hunting guns and charges are :
.54 Hawken Rifle copy.
With a charge of 80 grains of 2F , .15 patch and a .530 round ball.
.38 Royland Southgate percussion longrifle.
With a charge of 40 grains of 2F , .10 patch and a .375 round ball.
20 gauge flintlock Fowler.
With a charge of 60 grains of 2F , .15 patch and a .600 round ball or
60 grains of 2F , over powder. card , shot cushion , #6 or # 7 1/2 shot , measured from my powder measure . over shot card.
Andy
Hawken.jpg

DSC06026.jpg

DSC06557.jpg

It's a funny thing, but here in yUK you CAN shoot a muzzle-loading shotgun at game birds, but you are not allowed to shoot ANY muzzleloading firearm, smooth or rifled, at ground game. No muzzle loader, they say, can make the minimum velocity [England, Northern Ireland and Wales] and or minimum velocity and muzzle energy [Scotland].

Funny that over where you live, game doesn't seem to know that, and regularly dies when getting shot with a gun shooting a projectile with less than 2000 fps and 1500 fps [by the time it hits the target].

tac

Trees can't seem to tell either. We would shoot a friend's Hawken .50 replica at targets in a stand of Poplars (trash tree in northern Michigan). It's eye popping to take a shot and a 20' poplar falls over (< 3" dia trunk).
@AndyinEverson , the notion of a saboted muzzle loader intrigued me, so a quick search and this was at the top: Are Sabots THAT Much Better than other Muzzleloading Projectiles?

I sure wish OryGun and Colorado would drop the minimum cal, from 50 to .40 so I could hunt with my Colts, and I would actually much prefer .45 cal for my ultimate front stuffer, I have a switch barrel Spanish made that came with a .38, a .45 a .50, and a .54 barrels, the .45 seems to be the hardest hitting, flattest shooting, and longest range barrel of them all, followed by the .50 at a distant second. Why these states don't allow certain things has always bothered me, it's total B.S if you think about it, especially the hollow point solid lead bullet crap they insist on, destroyed way to much meat and encourages less then ideal kills to save meat at the expand a of a good hide! :eek::eek::eek:
Thanks for sharing Andy, glad to see your state doing more for the smoke poll folks then the other States!:)

As for the idea of round balls being outdated....or somehow inferior for hunting....
Well patch and round ball has kept folks fed and defended for centuries...deer , elk , bear etc..haven't grown armor ...so I do not feel "outgunned" with my patch and ball guns....:D

Just like anything...find a load that works in your rifle , practice with that load , find your max range , stick with shots in or under your max range....and you will bring home dinner.
I would hunt anything that one can hunt in North America with my Hawken Rifle.

As for the oft repeated story of the grizzly bear that took 8 shots to kill from the men with Lewis and Clark...
If the shots were poorly placed...it don't matter what they were shooting , a bad shot is a bad shot , no matter what rifle was used....
Way too much game including buffalo and many grizzly bears were taken by the hunters with Lewis and Clark*...all with patch and ball....for me to say or think that powder , patch and ball won't work on game.
* not to forget to mention countless other hunters for the fur trade....
Andy

Take note people and buy muzzleloader .
Because if the leftist in control have there way .
A muzzleloader is all your going to be able to own .
In that case ANDY WILL BE A MILLIONAIRE SELLING US HIS OVER STOCK.LOL

I picked up the cva optima v2 and put a peep sight on it ... And,let me,tell ya hot damn that thing shoots good ... 100g of tripple 7 pellets and a 250g sst ... Gonna go after my elk this year with the muzzle stuffer and my grilfriend drew a cow tag,too

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top