JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I have built a .50 cal St. Louis Hawken muzzleloader from a kit from Traditions. I poured my blood sweat and tears into this piece to make it beautiful. Everything is great on the gun except for the sights. The kit came with some less than impressive plastic "iron sights". I would really love to find some metal sights for this gun, but everywhere I seem to look only has plastic or "Hi-Vis" sights. I am trying to make the gun look like a weapon from the period it replicates. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. The front sight is a standard 3/8 dovetail, the rear screws into the barrel, don’t have any specs on the rear sight, sorry.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Track of the Wolf - Gun Parts: for flint, percussion, & early cartridge guns scroll down to 'sights' section

Don't know of any places local in Texas (according to your profile). Track of the Wolf usually has great pics as does Muzzleloader Builders Supply

The link below is to a muzzleloader forum that you can join and perhaps find some detailed help for what you want.

http://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

You appear to have this rifle <broken link removed> Replacing the rear sight with something 'traditional' will require a dovetail to be filed/machined, IIRC these rifles have only screw holes. Pick your sight and any decent machinist can make a dovetail for you, some fitting will be required. Plains rifles could have several variants of rear sights, either plain/simple, buckhorns, or fancy leaf adjustables depending on grade. I'm no plains rifle builder so you'll need to decide/research what best fits your degree of authenticity, ambitions, and skill level.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top