JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I have an H&R "Buffalo Classic" in 45-70 that I plan to order multiple caliber options for. Apparently you can order most any caliber from the factory and switch them up at will. Has anyone done this to their H&R? Did it work out ok for you?

Greg

No one? No one has had this done?

Here's a link to the page regarding the "Barrel Accessory Program":

<broken link removed>

If nothing else, someone must have an opinion on calibers...

I'm thinking .308, .500 S&W and 12 guage vent-rib 28" screw-in choke.

Greg

Greg, the H&R concept is a good one for a man on a budget who wants to experiment with various calibers, as well as becoming intimately familiar with one action type along with caliber options. It is sort of the "beware the man who hunts with one gun, likely he knows how to use it" concept, with the added feature of different calibers.

H&R has done a pretty good job of paring down to economy what other manufacturers have done with better quality: (Thompson Center, for one.)

If you shoot factory loads, do not expect pinpoint accuracy and fine finish on your guns, but just want to kill game and shoot targets recreationally for a lot of fun, the H&R platform is probably perfect for you.

What you would get with an upgrade to Thompson Center (for a break-barrel interchangeable cartridge system), would be better, more precision lock-up (better accuracy), better barrels (better accuracy), better trigger (better accuracy), better forearm bedding system (better accuracy), and better finish and styling on the exterior (none of which kill game any deader than an H&R in the hands of a man likely to know how to use it).

Name your game/target shooting preferences for frequent use, and good suggestions for calibers will follow to fulfill. Right off, I'd question your .500 S&W choice. (Your .308 and 12ga will kill anything that walks or flies in our hemispheric neighborhood, and .45-70 at the outset of your experiments covers all else, including ANYTHING a .500 can do. If you want a pistol caliber, go .357 or .44).

Were I in your shoes, having decided on the perfect economy and ruggedness and versatility of the H&R system, I would be right with you for .308 and 12ga. My third choice would be .223. I hear those heavy H&R barrels do some wonders with accuracy there.

Thanks for the thoughts. A friend I we talking to suggested .223 as well.

The .500 is more for the obscenity of the large caliber. It's the same reason I have the 45-70 in the first place ;-)

Obscenity is good. Go forth, obscene one. Prepare to open thy wallet for continued obscenity.

But a 12 ga slug, (someone correct me on this) is about .68 caliber. Obscene as it gets, and Grizzly Bears write letters to Congressmen as a result of its obscenity.

Have the chamber reamed for 45-110 and you've got a poor man's Quigley.

All kidding aside - that's how I found this thread ... looking for an H&$ Buffalo Classic to do just that with. For dispatching wild hogs here in Georgia. Replacement barrels is not cost prohibitive

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top