Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Oregon Rifleworks
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Sporting Systems
Southwest Firearms Forum
Gun Deals
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Mountain Rifles Show & Tell

bsa1917hunter

Reactions
JOC would have used an old pre 64 model 70. Thats what id use too, or my Tikka's or my savages. Just too many good options out there anymore...

bsa1917hunter

Reactions
I have a pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06, but it is 8.5 lbs naked . Definitely not a “mountain rifle”
That could be light, if you were Paul Bunyan. My pre 64 30-06 rifles are skinnier than that @6.5 pounds "naked". My 338wm is a sexy 7 pounds even with no clothes on.:s0113:

DeanMk

Reactions
Been thinking about a lightweight hunting rifle no set caliber but I favor 308 win.
Handled a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 it was light and seems to have good reviews
What do you have and what are your recommendations?
Not a boltie, but I hunted with a Winchester 94 for years.
6lbs. and the .30-30 never let me down.
Nice thing about the lever gun was that you can get sling swivels that clip onto the barrel/magazine tube and that allows the sling to be positioned past the fore end stock. This, in turn, sets the end of the barrel lower than one would normally have it.
Anyone who's hunted in the deep wood can appreciate that little feature.
Another gun I hunted with was an 1895 Chilean Mauser that belonged to my brother (we kept all of our guns at our parent's house). In the days before the '68 gun act, you could get ex military rifles for a very good price out of magazines.
When he got it, he set to work wiping off all the cosmoline and there was some issue with the stock, so he cut it down and sanded it smooth until it felt good to him.
Then he found a pair of old swivels that our father doesn't remember where he got them, and some old sling that was hanging in the basement.
The end result.....

Mauser_1895_Chilean_Bill-04.jpg Mauser_1895_Chilean_Bill-13.jpg

Right on about 6 lbs., sits on your shoulder like an ol' pirate's parrot and still shoots the very excellent 7x57 cartridge rather comfortably.
In my mind, the modern (i.e. scope-able) version of this gun would be a Remington Model 7, circa 1980's/1990's, chambered in 7mm-08..
Light and nimble yet fires a very efficient cartridge.
I wouldn't mind climbing any mountain with an old Model 7, or similar, chambered in 7mm--08.

Dean

Last edited:

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Tim, has done several projects including a sweet 1911 .38 super project
    • Qochoc
  • Mary's Pistols
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic small business with equally excellent folks running the place. I was given fair value for a trade in and was able to order something I...
    • Red98422
  • Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I have now purchased 2 Safe’s and constantly recommend people go here. You get better quality than the other liberty safes made for places like...
    • Motojohonda
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just dropped by today to pick up a rifle … this is what a gun store should be! None of the crotchety bluster and BS that so many other gun stores...
    • DLS

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online