JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Mountain Man as a Rifleman: An Analysis of a Better Survivalist Strategy

Over the Infantry / Light Infantry model.

The traditional mountain man scout, both individually and as a team, serves as an effective example of what the survivalist should strive to be. The jack of all trades and master of quite a few, including expert proficiency with his chosen weapon. They were not Infantrymen nor troops of any real kind; simply hard, stubborn, self reliant and skilled men. And you should be also.

Another great article from NC Scout.

It really does come down to how well a person can transition; based on the situation.

Transition from docile to violent, from reconnaissance to raid, from evasion (egress) to ambush, from citizen to soldier, from farmer to hunter, from friend to foe, from comfortable to cold/wet, from obedient to disciplined...

The big fur outfits worked along military lines of thinking...
They even used the term Fur Brigade to describe themselves.
The trapping parties often worked along the lines of a LRRP / LRSD unit...deep in enemy territory ...avoiding contact , but at the same time putting on a strong front to overawe the enemy.
Pickets were set at night...scouts sent out...
A master of knowing when to fight , or when to run...knowledge of the terrain , weather , folks in the area etc...
I did like how the article did try to dispel the myth of the "Lone Trapper" making his way on his own....
Good article...thanks for sharing.
Andy

image.jpeg This Mountain Man has your Six ...

Just opinion but in today' world a mountain man of the past wouldnt' survive a SHTF. Technology would end him fairly quickly. I think its' going to be a true chameleon that has the best chance, one who can fit in as times change.

Well he may not know how to use a phone , computer or GPS etc...
But flint and steel can make a pretty good fire...knowing how and when to hunt , find your way , make or repair your gear etc... all skills of fur trade era "mountain man" may still come in handy no matter if the SHTF yesterday or tomorrow...
Andy

Well he may not know how to use a phone , computer or GPS etc...
But flint and steel can make a pretty good fire...knowing how and when to hunt , find your way , make or repair your gear etc... all skills of fur trade era "mountain man" may still come in handy no matter if the SHTF yesterday or tomorrow...
Andy

Just want to point out the Indians lived well off the land until white mans' technology came along. Could an Indian still live that way today in the woods, for what? If you break society down to mountain man days right now would today' mountain man know the chemistry and geology of making gun powder. Even if you had stockpiles he couldn't carry it with him in his hunts for food.

Just my opinion but in a modern day SHTF it's going to take a great deal more than most have the skills to do. Makes me sound negative but that' not the case at all, I am a realist.o_O

I think we are thinking of two different SHTF...
I am not thinking of a breakdown in society / war / "Mad Max"....etc...
Just that the old skills that I try to learn and develop from emulating the old mountain men , may come in handy in hunting , shooting and general outdoor skill type setting...
Which may be of use if I get lost , or lose my more modern gear ...
Andy

I think we are thinking of two different SHTF...
I am not thinking of a breakdown in society / war / "Mad Max"....etc...
Just that the old skills that I try to learn and develop from emulating the old mountain men , may come in handy in hunting , shooting and general outdoor skill type setting...
Which may be of use if I get lost , or lose my more modern gear ...
Andy
It is an interesting hobby to emulate mountain men or even Indians. Like all hobbies it would have its use in the right conditions but I would hope the boy scout in me wouldn't allow me to get into those conditions. I can see that mountain man standards would pretty much guarantee you would out last a city slicker in the woods.:D

Ever bear hunt with dogs in western oregon? Deep canyons covered with brush and trees with the dogs leading you deeper into the woods until they tree the bear. So steep you can't walk up right and if you break a leg it takes a helicopter to get you out. You can't drink the water because its' full dead things and when you set out you carry only what you can move fast with because the dogs keep moving. Its' a lot like mountain men did in my estimation and bear hunting with dogs is long gone too.

Great article, @RicInOR , thank you for sharing.

The ability to see the game first meant the difference between them living another day or dying a very, very miserable death.
You could substitute "the game first" with the changing weather, the physical danger, and on and on....

Just want to point out the Indians lived well off the land until white mans' technology came along. Could an Indian still live that way today in the woods, for what? If you break society down to mountain man days right now would today' mountain man know the chemistry and geology of making gun powder. Even if you had stockpiles he couldn't carry it with him in his hunts for food.

Just my opinion but in a modern day SHTF it's going to take a great deal more than most have the skills to do. Makes me sound negative but that' not the case at all, I am a realist.o_O
Okay, lets examine this one for a minute.
How many of you even have the tools to make it without a societal structure, much less the skills?
How many own a decent set of mechanics tools?
Fabricators tools?
Got as much as a set of files and some hacksaw blades?
Squares? Levels? Miter box? Wood saws? Chisels? Planes?
Know how to use them?
Ever lashed anything together?
Split any shingles?
Ever poured/finished any concrete?
Laid any brick/block/stone? Own any trowels/floats/screeds?
Ever built so much as a doghouse? Anything bigger than that?
Can you cut metal? Bend it? Weld it? Rivet it?

Do you understand basic structural engineering? Mechanical Eng?
Could you do any of this if you had to?

Don't piddle on the mountain man idea until you can at least emulate the domesticated urban Mtn man.
'Cuz when the SHTF, chances are the "tech" ain't gonna carry you very gawd damned far without some serious skillz.

Skills first, they take the longest to acquire.
Tech second.

From what I see and hear out of most guys these days, if YouTube goes down, their ability to learn a new skill is out the freakin' window.

How many of you even have the tools to make it without a societal structure, much less the skills?
Fabricators tools?
Know how to use them?
Split any shingles?

Don't piddle on the mountain man idea until you can at least emulate the domesticated urban Mtn man.
'Cuz when the SHTF, chances are the "tech" ain't gonna carry you very gawd damned far without some serious skillz.

Tech second.

From what I see and hear out of most guys these days, if YouTube goes down, their ability to learn a new skill is out the freakin' window.

I form my opinions by what I have done in life and I have done alot. I share my opinion but feel no need to back it up with my lifes' expearience. I am not here to teach but to share thinking. Later dude, you got it all figured out.:D

6 years of Militia training and 20 years of living off grid in ultra rural eastern Shasta County has got me to 40% Mountain Man .

Its funny to me, all that info they get off you tube I spent a lifetime in learning most of it myself. When it goes down do they think I am going to help them learn when they have such poor attitudes:s0140:. Good luck gents and I am out of here.

I form my opinions by what I have done in life and I have done alot. I share my opinion but feel no need to back it up with my lifes' expearience. I am not here to teach but to share thinking. Later dude, you got it all figured out.:D
I wasn't disagreeing with you, or challenging you for that matter.
What you said made some sense, but you didn't explain why it mattered.
You didn't expound on it enough to explain that opinion.

But hey, if getting defensive about it is what you want to do, I'll not stand in your way.
Have a great day.

Fabricators tools?
Know how to use them?
Split any shingles?

Tech second.

Well..... I can do all the above mentioned items, except welding, which would not work in most SHTF situations anyway. Both my son and daughter are learning from me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top