JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I acquired a Mossberg-930 "security" version (18.5" front bead-sight barrel) a little while back. I sanded the casting seams smooth on the synthetic forend and buttstock (this isn't a fancy aka expensive Beretta or Benelli), and then added a specialty +2 mag-tube extension and bayonet lug that's designed to accommodate a pig-sticker. I also added a barrel heat-shield because they're cool, but they're also functional as I was able to heat the barrel up to slightly uncomfortable temperatures.

The round capacity is 6+1 (6+2 if "ghost loaded")... that's AWESOME for an 18.5" barreled shogun! FYI- The SPX version has a 20" rifle-sight barrel and can hold one more round (but it also cost a lot more).

So, I have run 200 flawless rounds through this right from the box (after adding the +2 extension, bayonet lug, and heat-shield), no cleaning, no lubrication (other than any from the factory). I shot rapid-fire "mag dumps" and more controlled volleys of 2-3/4" hi-base 00-Buck, and 2-3/4" low-base Estate Dove & Pheasant loads. It cycled everything without a hitch ("ghost loaded" or not), and the recoil is noticeably softer than my M500 pump-action shotguns. I didn't really perceive any real difference in recoil from the stout 00-Buck and lighter Dove & Pheasant loads.

Although I'm still awaiting the delivery of a tritium front bead-sight, the gun and the modifications cost me under $500. It's a sweet shooter that's affordable, and obviously (to me) it's dependable. So, it's now my primary HD shotgun, with my three M500's as backup. ;)

Before:
D3172B44-E8A1-4534-A3B9-D1AF6A4B052D.jpeg

After:
07B15A27-CFA4-4DAC-8943-88CD81F663BF.jpeg
C1CB2738-1D8B-4111-96BC-79BC91C06C20.jpeg

Remember kids... pistols shoot holes INTO bad guys, rifles shoot holes THROUGH bad guys, and shotguns SHRED bad guys.

:s0164:

Last Edited:
While you're adding modifications to your 930, I'd recommend the OR3GUN spacer tube.
OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube for Mossberg 930/935 Series

I have a 22" 930 JM Pro that had run flawlessly until I was in a 3 gun match on a particularly rainy day. Had a few FTE's that day. After looking into the problem, I found out about the spacer tube that OR3GUN makes. Humidity can get trapped under the spacer tube and cause a malfunction. They explain the problem in more detail on their website.

Haven't had a problem since I got the spacer tube.

Sweet :cool: shotgun. 930 has been on my want list for a while. This may just convince me that the 18" model is a worthy investment. I like the mods. And I really like the idea of a reliable semi-auto compact shotgun for HD. Any plans to add a sling and/or shell holder for extra rounds?

Yeah, working on looking for a sling setup. I'll also have to figure where I want to install the loops, and I've seen some pretty good ideas online but I'm in no hurry.

As for carrying extra shells.... that's what the other three loaded M500's sitting next to it in the safe are for. ;)

I'm looking for a new s/a waterfowler. My buddies are telling me I need to drop "at least" a grand for a good reliable one. Are you calling duckdoo on that ? :eek:

Only if buying a very expensive shotgun makes you a better shot...

People have been hunting birds with pump action shotguns for a century or more and still do today.

Edit: I just bought a Rem 870 Magnum that I bought for bird hunting and I'd hunt grouse to goose and turkey with it.

Last Edited:
I hear ya Joe, been running the same Winchester 1200 for over 40 years now, and much to Wayno's disappointment his 870 runs a very close second to the best shotgun ever, the model 1200:D.
My buddies run the high buck B's and I'm just not convinced they are the only ducks demise. One of them even goes into "may or may not" pop mode at about 5 degrees. So, if I can elbow my buddies in the ribs with a measly Mossberg at half the price I'm all for it. It may not make me a better shot, but I want it to go bang every time.