JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, i bought a lightly used Mossberg 5500 MKII last night. i got a chance to test it out today after work and there seems to be a problem with ejecting and cycling shells after firing. about half the time, the shells done eject from the chamber (as if the action isnt opening up to release the shell.) when the shell IS attempted to be ejected, it doesnt make it out of the chamber before getting caught by the action about 50% of the time. so, that means it cycles correctly only about 25% of the times fired. is there anything i can do to maybe stiffen up the ejector? how does it work? i plan on giving it a good cleaning and oil job tonight and trying it out again tomorrow to loosen everything up. help please!!

Tyler.

yes it is Netcarrier, so far as i can tell im testing that correctly.

Creeper, thank you for the link, upon disassembly i found that the large (top) washer, was on the exterior of the stock, basically acting as a washer under the tensioning knob in between the knob and the foregrip. i am really hoping this fixes my problem, thanks for the help! will post feedback tomorrow :s0155:

well i JUST got done shooting a box through it, every round had to be mannyally loaded into the chamber by re-cocking the action. i dont know what else could be wrong, my piston/spring setup resembles the one in the link you posted.

Don't know what to tell you chief... keep searching around the interweb, maybe you'll find an adjustment or fix that will get a full cycle out of the gun. I'd start out with some stouter loads (this is assuming you're currently using some feeb WalMart 1 oz. 1100fps "target" crap)... like at least 1 1/8 oz and maybe as much as 1.5 oz.

C

japcraplover89,

Sound like the Cartridge stop need to be timed, Timing is to Slow. Is the Carrier out of time. Need to time the Carrier faster.
With out any round in the mag. will it fire and Extract & Eject?
Will it fire and Extract & Eject when a round is in the mag? But will not feed the round into the Chamber?
Let me know,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

well its semi auto, so it ejects at recoil when it fires. i shuffled the parts around again, to which position im sure is incorrect, but it now fires, ejects and loads on most shots. the ejector seems a little slow about 50% of the time, catching the shell in the action as it tries to eject.

when i first started my testing, i was using 8 shot 1 1/8oz, when it wouldnt cycle right period. when i was out of those shells, i shuffled the parts around and threw in some 8 shot 1 7/8oz and it DID work better, as stated above....maybe that was the difference? i wonder if it would cycle correctly every time if i was shooting a more powerful load as if i was hunting. maybe a 4 shot 1 1/4oz? itll be expensive to test, but ill try it out tomorrow.

Update: today after work, experiencing what i did yesterday, i threw some heavier loads in the Mossberg. 4 shot 1 1/8oz to be specific. i put 12 rounds through it flawlessly. all shells ejected perfectly and it felt like a great shooter.

has anyone else experienced a predicament like this, where a shotgun is load-size picky? im assuming its due to the lack of recoil causing it to automatically eject and load slower?

im assuming its due to the lack of recoil causing it to automatically eject and load slower?
Yep... why I suggested stouter loads. It's a cheap and fast way to determine if it's the gun or the load.

Older gas guns came with (or you had to buy) parts... washers, springs, pistons, friction rings, tubes and spacers that you needed to change, shuffle around, remove or install to accommodate light to heavy loads. Modern gas guns are self-compensating and will cycle almost anything.

Have fun... don't shoot your eye out,
C

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews