JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't seem to get my mosins to shoot like an AR. Still working on it though.
Seriously? Do you really expect a world war 2, 30 cal battle rifle with iron
sights shoot as good as a AR? I paid $120 for my 91/30. I have paid
10 times that much for a match grade AR upper! For the money the
Mosin is a GREAT value. Heavy duty full power battle rifle. IMHO
Let's play "Enemy at the Gate".

I own 3. The old rimmed cartridge is almost the equal of the -06, yet....... I still don't get all google eyed over the rifle.
I understand the "piece of history" thing and that the old battle axes can still be had for cheap, but the following that this old blunderbuss has in some crowds can be down right fanaticle.

Don't get me wrong, their fun to shoot, and with a few rare examples are still easy to pick up cheap,, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess and to each their own.
I've seen guys get flamed for "bubba ing" their $190 unit to fit their own likes. Really?
A Styer, Springfield or Mauser their not, just a workable old war rifle that shoots reasonably well.
If not for mass production, cheap price of the rifle/ammunition and one particular movie I'm not sure we would be having this conversation.

These are just one mans opinions, we all have em,, and you what they say about em!

Own 3 right now, owned at least 15 over the coarse of maybe 10 years. Two out of the current three are sporterized, the third is restored and loved as is. All of them are super fun to shoot. I find myself shooting the Tula more than the sporterized ones lately as it's challenging to ring steel at 4-600 with irons!

A side note: I miss being able to buy crates at 100-120$, and I dearly miss crates of yellow tip!!!

If you reload you can load some reduced loads with Trail Boss or some other powders used to make 'cowboy loads". I am even thinking of loading some BP loads with a DELWC for the kick of it. Some of the very early 7.62x54r were BP rounds.

My son gave me an M-44 several years ago. Mostly a safe queen, but I find it to be a reliable, rugged, reasonably accurate rifle. Not a match grade gun, but has enough to take down any 2 or 4 legged critter round about these parts. The only rifle that ever bruised my shoulder and if you can't hit 'em with the bullets, you can knock 'em down with the muzzle blast. Or, if all else fails, fix the bayonet and give 'em cold steel.

Winchester makes a 7.62x54R load with soft point that would work well for hunting. There's a lot of surplus Russian ammo, but that makes me a bit nervous.

Arms030.jpg

I am also a huge m44 fan. I have sold or traded most of my 91/30s, but I will never get rid of my romy m44. They are just as accurate and always make me smile when I see the fireball