Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mosin shooters speak up.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by ditchtiger, Aug 6, 2015.

1. ditchtiger

ditchtiger In the sticks, Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

How many here like the rimmed Russian. Got a Chinese Type 53 30 years ago and enjoyed them all since. Even had an SVT40 for a few years. Got to love the fire ball out of the carbines. The Polish M44 is a favorite, beautiful finish and machining. The Finn's are addictive also. A friend loaned me his semi-auto PKM he just bought with a case of ammo and belt loader. Told me to take it out and find out how to shoot and clean it then instruct him on what to do. Had a ball with that, get one if you can find and afford it.

2. Dapapadon

Dapapadon Gladstone, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like the x54R. I have two 91/30s and a Romy M44. And I'm collecting parts to build a PSL. Not sure which way I'll go with it yet, standard barrel specs. and PSL parts. Or slightly heavier barrel and use someting like a Yugo M76 gas block with regulator.

I'm wanting a Vepr in 7.62 X 54R also. Had money saved up but Atlantic was out of the 23" barrel model. Then Marlinitis got me. Waiting on an 1894CB to arrive now. Still a little unsure on which barrel length I want in the Vepr. The 27" barrel models have a heavier barrel but I've heard they were a one time deal. No more coming in. I was thinking 23" and that is what I will likely buy. I usually like loud and flashy but don't really like the idea of a Vepr that way. They make the Veprs in 16" & 20". I hear the 16" are really loud with a big fireball.:)

Your friends PKM sounds like fun. I've watched for a SVT40 but prices have really shot up on those.

Don

3. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Speaking of flamethrower, I've got a 91/59 with a brake on it and have yet to have someone not crack a smile when they pull the trigger :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  4. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

While I don't think that the cartridge is anything to write home about I would love to have a Remington Rolling Block chambered in one.

As far as Mosins go I am very partial to my M39.

Qaolin likes this.
  5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

6. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Can't help but love them. I don't currently have one - but over the last 10 or 12 years I've probably owned 6 of them. Each one went BANG when I wanted it to. Never had any hiccups, breakages, or issues. Had a couple that I thought of hunting with - but the price of hunting ammo (and finding it locally) squashed that idea. $50 a box for Norma (only HP I could find in the caliber back then) when '06 was going for $30 for absolute top shelf match grade stuff...

I'd like to have one of the M44s

7. ditchtiger

ditchtiger In the sticks, Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Just, "one" ????????

8. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I think the cartridge is pretty cool. It was on the cusp of the change from Black powder to smokeless, its seen almost 125 years of military service and is still seeing action today. It's kinda why I bought the Mosin in the first place, the history.

salmonriverjohn and Slobray like this.
  9. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Yeah just one. I'm not too greedy ;) Besides - my shoulder starts to whine after a couple boxes of the x54 stuff. I've never put a rubber butt pad on my mosins - always shoot 'em stock with the steel butt plate. Extended sessions are about as 'fun' as running slugs through the 12 guage.

My cousin Tyler (a member here) has a big brother who is just a beast - last time we all went shooting together he put 150 rounds or so through an M39 and didn't even whine about the bruise on his shoulder. :D I think he was a Russian conscript in a previous life. He runs the action on a Mosin like it was a slicked up Mauser.

I have always wanted to get one out on a 1000 yard range and put the irons to the test and see if it was even possible to hit a target with the sights elevated for 800 meters. I bet it's at least minute-of-truck at that distance.

10. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have a 91/30 with a laminated stock. Like the rifle but not a fan of the
    rimmed 54r case. Got a round stuck single loading it during a Vintage rifle
    match. Pushed it into the magazine a little too far forward. It was very
    difficult to get that round out of the rifle. Also have a M44. That thing
    is a flame thrower. You could roast marshmallows on the bayonet!

coyotecaller likes this.
  11. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

I recently purchased one and took it out to the range. The first time I shot 20 rounds through it and walked away with a sore shoulder and bruising. However, I will continue to keep this rifle as it is kind of neat to have a part of history, plus I was given about 400 rounds for it.

12. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I like my Mosin(s) mostly because of the cheap ammo. A long while ago (living in Hawaii) I wasn't able to get cheap ammo so I never gave it great thought.

Later, I move here to the mainland and alot of stuff became available. The Mosin 91/30 and the M44 and even a Polish have found a place in my collection.

Getting a new shooter(s) introduced to the recoil or fire ball is not my thing. But, for pure grins.....:)........yup. Especially when I tell them how affordable it is.

Aloha, Mark

13. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

I like them so much I'm trying to complete a set of the variants. So far I've got an M91, M91 Finn captured Dragoon, M91/30, M44 and a 91/59. I'll soon be adding a pair of Finns; M28 and M39.

14. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

There's a reason they sell for around $200. Your money is spent better elsewhere. But if you insist...

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  15. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Care to elaborate??? What issues do you have with the Mosin?

Qaolin likes this.
  16. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

I can't seem to get my mosins to shoot like an AR. Still working on it though.

17. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Maybe not, but one shot from a Mosin will do as much damage as 10 shots out of that AR ;)

Qaolin likes this.
  18. Qaolin

I just bought one and finished cleaning it up yesterday. It's a beast and makes a 91/30 look like a ballerina by comparison.

IMG_20150825_101526_zpspks5gipl.jpg

ma96782, ron and etrain16 like this.
  19. Qaolin

And, since I love 'em so much, I had to get it's cousin, the M28 . Mosin variations are like Pokemon; you've gotta to get 'em all.
    IMG_20150825_110855_zpsai0nzehe.jpg

ron, etrain16 and Slobray like this.
  20. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Woodpeckers been at that stock? :)

Sgt Nambu likes this.