Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mosin Nagant......no I didn't search

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mjbskwim, Oct 10, 2013.

1. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I have a mosin ,that looks pretty nice,that I can buy at a decent price.I like the cheap ammo part of these guns.And it is a formidable round that could be used for hunting,within reason.
    So I went on you tube and watched a couple guys shooting them at ridiculous (spelled 1000yds!) distances! (winchester white box ammo and handloads)
    I'm sure they aren't all capable of this,but I have heard of it before.
    And I'm sure they're worth a hundred bucks all month long.

Are they good shooters or just cheap fun?

2. mjbskwim

3. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

ever see enemy at the gates? soviet block used these (the better grouping ones at least) as their sniper rifles for years. check out 7.62x54r.net for more information than you could ever need on them...

4. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

Are they good shooters or just cheap fun?

They are both if you ask me. There is one for sale on this forum for $100 right now which seeing prices lately is a great deal.
    :thumbup:7.62X54R.net:thumbup:

5. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Put a good shooter behind the rifle, and regular refurb Mosin M91/30s are generally quite accurate, if for no other reason than the long sight radius. A few years back, a friend commented that he thought the (untouched) trigger on one of my $100 Big 5 rifles was better than his Rem. Sendero's. The Finn M39 is considered one of the best Mosin models, as are original Russian snipers. Two of my most accurate were a $100 Model 91/30 'ex-sniper' and a Finn M91.

Keith

6. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Its hard to tell for sure, but that one appears to have a reproduction mount and scope. Its probably a WWII era infantry rifle that has been recently converted. If so, there's nothing wrong with it other than it is not a collectable, but the price reflects this and its a good alternative for someone who can't afford a real one starting at $600. A closer picture of the scope and receiver from several angles would confirm its authenticity.

Keith

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Cheap to shoot, fun and very accurate. I have two, one that's a stock 1943 Izzy and another Izzy that I'm going to drop into an Archangel aftermarket stock....check those out.

8. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

They are cheap in price but not cheaply made. simple, easy to take care of, able to reach out and touch at great distance and the ammo is plentiful and inexpensive (23 cents/round in many cases). I have 4 and will get more.

Jim

9. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I always ask myself, when looking at milsurp rifles, or pistols, "what would it cost to build one today?", mosins in general are pretty well made guns. If new commercially made would retail in the 400 to 500 range most likely. The ones that really bowl me over are the makarovs and sks's, a new one of either would probably cost in the 500 - 700 or more if commercially made IMHO. Eventually most milsurp rifles rise to their true value (look at where german mausers, M1 carbines, Garands,etc were 30 years ago!), it's still time to buy a mosin!!

Another good reason to get an 03 ffl, best 30 bucks you'll ever spend.

10. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Consider an M39. I own a couple and I much prefer them over your run of the mill Mosin.

11. mjbskwim

Well I took it out Saturday Hit a 6' berm at 100 yards!(still has the scope rail in place of the rear sight). I'm gunna try it with the sights first then maybe some sort of scope. My eyes aren't much good after 100 yards and adjusting to the sights.
    My shooting buddy had never shot one before and kinda likes it. He's kinda cheap like me and sees it as a great backup rifle.
    This one has a rail in place of the back sight and another short one that goes on the back end of the receiver,giving me plenty of options.
    The red dot (nc star) is fine and will end up on a 10/22 most likely.The stripper clips are chrome and don't fit in the receiver.Not a big deal for me.
    Oh and I need to clean up the follower and spring.
    Other than that it's a great shooter with the recoil pad on it.

12. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

Well I say they are great shooters, depending on the set up you have on the rear sight base you may have a great chance to make a good scout set up. I have many mosins, mil spec and cut up bubba specials. I think with a good L.E.R scope on it you will be happy out to as far as your scope and yourself will let you!!!!!!!!!! Trust me on that!!!!

The rear sights can be a pain to get back on. If ya need parts let me know and I will see what I can dig up.

If it is a 91/30 you have a rail under the rear sight block that you can use flat base 22 rings on it no prolem.
    Some bases are harder to get off then others due to soder being used.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  13. PopsBdog

PopsBdog Southern Oregon Active Member

14. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

There are aftermarket peep sights you can put on in place of the rear notch sight if you like the aperture style sights, I put one of the "mojo" ones on my 91/30 and I like it...

15. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

Mojo and Smith sights together really rock!!!!!

16. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

I just put the Mojo rear peep and left the original front post. My front post made it through the arsenal without getting "fixed" though....it has been filed down at a slight angle \ which gives an interesting sight image when aiming, but it's not too bad once I figured it out and got the rear dialed in- I'd say it's pretty accurate for being made in 1939 :p

(sorry if I am "thread jacking" here lol)