JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just found some mosin nagant m44 I think its thethe carbine length for $200 there are a couple of them for me to choose from. Is this a good deal and what should I look for when picking one? I already have a 91/30 I still haven't shot yet but I think I would like the shorter version better.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Do they have the side folding bayonet or do they look like a shortened 91/30? m38 is the designation of the carbine i have, m44 is the ones with the side folding bayonet. i think there are others...m39 or something like that comes to mind. I think 200 is probably going to be about what you can get them for anymore.....i think i paid 160 for my M38 like 3-4 years ago, counterbored but all matching and correct stock.

I think you are supposed to look for the same things as the m91 rifles.....whether the numbers all match, if there is any counter bore, the condition of the barrel rifling and bore, and arsenal marks. the shorter barrel leads to some nice fireballs/muzzle blast with the milsurp ammo :cool:

They are at Keith's Sporting goods in Gresham, one with the side folding bayonet and one with out, they may have some more in back or downstairs but I was in a hurry the other day when I saw them and they were busy like usual.

I think you are supposed to look for the same things as the m91 rifles.....whether the numbers all match, if there is any counter bore, the condition of the barrel rifling and bore, and arsenal marks. the shorter barrel leads to some nice fireballs/muzzle blast with the milsurp ammo :cool:

Honestly when I bought my Mosin from Keiths all I looked was the bore, I checked to see if the bolt was smoothish and I really like the color of the furniture on it. Other than that I didn't look to much more into it. If I pick up one of those M44's I will probably sell or trade my current Mosin. I know that I paid more then I will get out of it but it was just so nice looking the color that is, compared to the many many other 91/30's I had looked at for the last couple years.

Is it a laminated stock then? What year/arsenal? I refinished the stocks on both mine (ours i should say, I bought the m38 for my wife lol). i kind of lucked out on my 91/30....showed up in the box from the distributor, opened it up - and had an all numbers matching 1939 tula in pretty good shape, and I didn't even pay extra for the hand picked. Now if CAI could just get matching bayonets, or even ones that fit when they import them lol.

I don't think it was laminated stock, color was more reddish maybe cherry color than I have seen on any other Mosin before. Also, Im going to pass on the M44 for now. We decided to go to Disneyland at the end of summer so I am probably going to be putting my Current 91/30 up on the chopping block for extra spending money. I will have to fire it first before I decide for sure.

I picked up are M44 from another member on the forum today, It was a good deal and I can't wait to take it out. Now I am not sure if I am going to keep my 91/30 or not. I am going to hopefully take them both out shooting after finals in two weeks and I will compare accuracy. If practical accuracy for me is similar on both I will probably either sell the 91/30 or give it to my brother. I am really exciting to get there and see how these guys preform.

The M44 has the side folding bayonet, I was so excited I didn't even look if numbers are matching or not. The bolt is really smooth and the trigger pull is really nice compared to other mosins and is better than my 91/30. The bore is not as good as my 91/30 but better than most I have looked at and no counter bore. I left it at my brothers because I have run out of space in my safe. I will check for numbers matching later this week. It is still heavy but compared to the 91/30 it’s really light and I would guess the recoil is significantly stronger. That’s okay though I like a good kick in the shoulder.

I am really excited that I found one at such a good deal and I can't wait to see how it works out.

I know I am gonna up set some of you guys out there but I want one of these. Is there anywhere around Gresham Portland east side that I can have do this for a decent price? I have very little gun smithing skills and I am not looking to spend a lot of dough on a 91/30. I read a lot of commits below the youtube video and I am really thinking about this.

I actually picked up another 91/30 in a trade a few weeks ago and still haven't had time to take them out yet and shoot them yet.

Heres the video, what do you guys think and can anyone help me with resources?
ULTIMATE MOSIN TACTICAL ZOMBIE CARBINE! - YouTube

Have you had a chance to take that M44 out yet? I'm pretty much a M39 man myself.

No, I was planning on going out with my dad and brother on monday but I broke myself. I pushed to hard when I started P90X on Wed. of last week. Had to go to the urgent care today and it looks like I am going to be out of it for a few weeks. Hopefully it doesn't mess with Nursing school.

Whats the difference between the M44 and the M39?

Whats the difference between the M44 and the M39?

Beaucoup differences. Essentially the Finns took a M91 receiver and built a rifle around it to meet their perceived needs. The changes included, but were not limited to, a pistol grip stock shimmed for accuracy, a longer barrel of slightly slower twist, different sights, a knife bayonet, and several other changes. The resultant rifle was about 6 inches longer and 1/2 pound heavier then a M44.

So, I tried to take them out shooting last week and I sent everything over to my brothers, so I could just leave early morning without waking the kids and wife and I showed up at the range my brother already had everything set out. I went at set up targets at 25, 50, and 75 yards came back to the bench and started looking for ammo. Turned out my brother left my ammo on the kitchen table when he was loading up. I guess I will try again on Sunday.

I did have a chance to shoot the 700, however it's just not what I am looking for and I think I will be moving it and opting for a new savage with detachable magazine, accutrigger and nikon monark with BDC reticle. The 700 in my hands was plenty accurate, in fact it is probably the most accurate 06 I have been behind. I just didn't like loading the internal magazine and I would like mostly for pure enjoyment purposes having a couple extra mags loaded when I go to the range and not having to mess with it.

I got a question about groups. I usually shoot 5 round groups as I feel that is more reliable and Representative of the marksmanship skills and less on the tools being used over a 3 round group, but I am usually more satisfied with my first three rounds then I have with whole five round group. What do you guys think, what size groups to you shoot and why?

and one more question, what is a realistic group unmagnified out of a 91/30 or a m44? is there going to be a huge difference at say 50 to 100 yards between the two. I am guessing with my marksmanship skills I probably wont be going out past 50 yards with a mosin for a long while.

Honestly when I bought my Mosin from Keiths all I looked was the bore, I checked to see if the bolt was smoothish and I really like the color of the furniture on it.

M44g.jpg

Does anyone know exactly where the folding bayonet on the Type 53 or M44 M-N fits into WA weapons law? I've looked a lot at the regulations and it doesn't seem to be specifically addressed anywhere. I know that city of Seattle is more strict on knives and I never intend to take it there, just wondering if there's anything to worry about transporting it elsewhere in the state (or into Portland). I'll take it off if needed, but sorta wanted to keep it all original (with the possible addition of a scout scope & bipod, anyway).