JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently got myself an SLR-100 with a welded muzzle cap (Clinton ban era). I want to deban it and put a muzzle device on but it's been extremely problematic so far. I dremeled off the cap which cause some loss of finish on the front sight block, and the front sight block pin for locking in the muzzle device is stuck inside the block. I want to refinish it, fix the spring, and get my muzzle device installed.

Getting the FSB off has been totally impossible. I tried a hammer for a while with no luck. I then bought a 12-ton press from Harbor Freight and some AR press tools and last night I tried to press it off. It literally broke the brass cap that is used to protect the barrel crown and now the crown is damaged. Working on AK's is apparently not my jam.

Im looking for a local smith than can help me get this done without costing an arm and a leg. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

@meener777
Can you post up a picture so we can see what is being dealt with?

Bare with me with some concerns.
Did you remove the pins?
YES
Next

Without seeing a picture of the FSB, try this to remove it. (Found pic on the internet)
Grab yourself an open-end wrench, that will "just" slip around the barrel behind the FSB. You'll want the "open end" facing upward towards the top of the front sight post.
Now with the plates that were included with the 12-ton press, place them accordingly to support as much of the wrench as possible.
For the crown, I used a solid brass nut. Then apply pressure with care while holding the rifle with your other hand.
When it moves, it will move with a POP. It should get easier from there on out.

Edited to add
The odds of me being ENTIRELY WRONG IS LIKELY.
:D

Last Edited:
@meener777
Can you post up a picture so we can see what is being dealt with?

Pics here:

You can see that the two pins are out (are there more?), my press setup, and how the brass nut literally split in half during pressing operation. Before I bought the AK press kit I did try a wrench. This thing is seriously on there. FWIW its an SLR-100.

You need a solid piece of brass or copper, nut will split every time like that. Even a piece of steel barstock with a penny between would be better than that.

ETA.....why were you taking it off? Swapping the gas block out?

ETA.....why were you taking it off? Swapping the gas block out?

Maybe a silly reason. When I dremeled off the welded on barrel cap the front of the FSB ended being collateral damage. Its not bad but it needs at least a refinishing and maybe an attempt at smoothing out the front.

"all i wanted was a muzzle brake, and she wouldn't give it to me!" :p

Be careful with the heat!! It will loosen the fit but also make the parts much more likely to gall. Then you'll have your work cut out for you!!

I cannot recommend enough Keith (401AK Gunsmith?) out of Eugene. He can be contacted through Oak Grove Guns (on River Rd). He has tweaked a few items for me and always excellent work and REALLY knows his AKs.

Well Ill be a monkeys uncle. Couple minutes under the blow dryer and a penny instead of the brass nut and she popped right off! Thanks a ton!

IMG_2042_zpscmgoxjwm.jpg

So now... new questions!! :)

1) I want to refinish the FSB. Anyone have any idea what kind of finish the SLR-100 uses? I am guessing its parkerized but I'm not great at telling the difference between that and bluing. I was thinking of buying a parkerizing kit but they actually look kind of expensive. I could also get it cerakoted or something similar. Wondering what peoples thoughts are.

2) Barell crown got $^&*# up when the brass nut broke. Is it hard to recrown it myself?

IMG_2043_zpseoofeg4f.jpg

As stomper suggested heat, it would have been my next suggestion if the brass nut did not work.
Do yourself a favor for future work on AK's. Buy a solid shaft of copper, and brass, that's the diameter of the barrel. I would never recommend threading a brass nut onto a bolt and using it as a drive source. It's no wonder the brass nut split and you damaged the crown.

Anyway, good to hear you won the challenge.
The crown can get re-done with an 11° crowning bit if you have a smith locally. The bits are a tad expensive to buy one.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top