JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
when i was a kid in Montana i watched my dad drop a bull where it stood like a sack of potatoes, he would always aim for the eye or the ear. It was the first time i was with him when he took a moose and i was only about 5. It seemed like he had killed this giant of the woods to me.

He hit him in the right shoulder - you could see that the moose could not lift his right leg. I have not read the article yet, but my bet is that it was probably a good penetrating bullet. They mentioned Buffalo Bore in the vid

Also, not sure how quick the kill was - you can see after the moose went down that it is still alive and breathing.

That makes sense too, and more practical of a shot with an open sight 3030. If so that means the old 3030 has ample penetration to reach thru that huge front quarter and destroy bone.... Im also guessing the bullet penetrated the lungs otherwise i think the bull could have possibly ran longer on 3 legs. Its also possible he simply gave up quickly because he was an old bull...

I have hunted with a .30-30 - the same one my father and grandfather used.

View attachment 413441

That said, for elk on up, I would use my .45-70 instead. But if all I had were a .30-30 and I could get within range and I had the right ammo and I could take my time, I would take just about any animal on the continent with it.

My brother has the old model '94 now - with its long heavy octagon barrel, but I am next in line when he decides to hand it down.

Meanwhile I really like my youth model Marlin .30-30 - better than any Winchester I have owned - but I want my grandfather's rifle; it has a lot of history behind it. The story goes he bought it from a Trask Native American for $5 and a bottle of whiskey.

Thats a great story and a great photo. Gotta keep guns like that in the family...

My thoughts:

How far away you shoot game proves how good you are at shooting. How close you shoot game proves how good you are at hunting.

I don't think I've ever shot a deer at over 75 yards (I just moved here in Jan from the east, and all my hunting until then had been in WV). I've killed deer with the 30-30, 357 magnum, 300 savage, and 308. Most dropped within sight, and none had to be tracked very far. If you think old cartridges are outdated, ask those deer what they think.

My thoughts:

How far away you shoot game proves how good you are at shooting. How close you shoot game proves how good you are at hunting.

I don't think I've ever shot a deer at over 75 yards (I just moved here in Jan from the east, and all my hunting until then had been in WV). I've killed deer with the 30-30, 357 magnum, 300 savage, and 308. Most dropped within sight, and none had to be tracked very far. If you think old cartridges are outdated, ask those deer what they think.
The deer in my photo wS shot at less than 10 yards. He was more interested in the doe that he was following than that strange lump sitting very still on the stump. :D

My thoughts:

Always good to get as close as possible but out West here you will find it is not always possible so being a good rifleman is another tool in the chest. You would be severely limiting yourself with a shorter range weapon in some of the open breaks country I hunt. As to the moose with a 30-30, it does not surprise me at all. They are not bulletproof after all. With a well placed shot many a moose haven fallen to the 30-30 before this one and there will be more to follow. Bullet tech has just made this capable cartridge even more effective.

I agree with osprey about not limiting your self. Every one of my elk has been killed with in 100 yards. This years elk season had a shot at a spike over 300, maybe 350 yards away. It didn't have a clean shot.cows all around him and didn't have time to get prone, etc...
Few days later I shot one maybe 30 yards Away. You just never know

I'm not limiting myself, and understand the differences in hunting out here compared to back there. But close encounters always make me respect the hunter more than a shot from 1/4 mile away.

Last Edited:
Last year I shot a buck at 18'. The buck in my avatar, shot a few years ago, was 413yds. You just never know.
the vast majority of hunters will tell you that most animals are taken 100yds or less, and that you don't "need" to practice past that... I dont subscribe to that.

I had to pass up a nice buck years ago because he was about 250 yds out and I was using my 30-30... :( I didn't even try even though Ive taken deer with it close to 200yds. This year I got my deer with it at only 25 yards...

the 30-30 is a great round, but everything has its limitations.

this guy takes a huge bull moose with a 30-30. The video is kinda long but if you jump to 24:45 mark you can see the kill shot and the moose buckle then only takes a few final steps.
What I didn't see or hear, is where would you place the shot for a quick kill like this with a 30-30?

article:
Open-Sighted 30-30 Winchester Takes Down a Trophy Bull Moose

Youtube video:
Trophy Quest Hunts Moose In Alaska With 30-30: Episode 1160

I've read the old safari stories, it doesn't require as much cartridge as most think if you can hit the right spots. I can say .30-30 is not what I would want for large moose. I once shot a 1/2" soft pine board at 75 yards and the bullet never made it through. I'm sure it was an old cartridge and my .30-30 was my old mans late model 94 Winchester. I'd imagine a new Marlin with a hot cartridge is pretty lethal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top