Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

missing extractor?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by coosbaycreep, Sep 14, 2011.

1. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

th_DSC04223.jpg
    th_DSC04221.jpg
    th_DSC04222.jpg
    th_DSC04220.jpg

I have a chinese type 53 (actually put it up for sale earlier 'cause it pissed me off:paranoid:). that won't extract a shell. I put three rounds through it this morning, and managed to get two of them out, but I think that was due to gravity. I didn't have a cleaning rod with me, so I just now knocked the other shell out and then I took the bolt out. I don't see any claw looking extractor thingie like every other gun I've looked at has. Is it missing? If so, is it easy to replace, and does anyone know of a place you can get one cheap?

thanks

2. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Extractors for the Mosin aren't a drop-in process. You can buy a replacement but will then have to cut it to fit your particular bolt head. Alternatively you can just buy an entire bolt head and replace it, but in that case you have to be very careful since tolerances vary wildly between the rifles and you may end up with a very improperly headspaced bolt.

3. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

After looking at pics of them online, it turns out it's not missing, it's broken. The whole claw thing is busted off.

4. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member