JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The relatively new to shooting and carrying (concealed or not) see others shooting styles and try to use them out of context. For instance:

Competition shooters use "run and gun" in matches, this works well in competition not so much in real life. (When targets shoot back). Cover is really important.

I love a good shootem up movie, as much as anyone, but they give the wrong impression. Car doors are not bulletproof. Guns do run out of ammo. Maintaining a rate of fire after getting shot, even once is very unlikely. Shooters who get all their tactics from "Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and Rawhide" reruns are in trouble.

The psychology of shooting another biped (reluctant to type in "human") is very complex. If you are a sociopath or psychopath, no problem! For the rest raised among others in a "Christian society" we are taught from a very early age that inflicting pain ( or death ) upon another is bad, and only bad people do such things. You don't want to be bad, do you? You have to get past this conditioning. Look at the military, thousands of rounds expended per kill. Is there a correlation? Maybe, maybe not.
Being a high functioning sociopath myself it was difficult for me to get a handle on this. Raised by wild dachshunds in the black forest and all.
Those who come right out and say they would not hesitate, I steer clear of.

There is more, but my finger is getting tired, feel free to add.

Not just Misconceptions...but Conceptions as well.
What I feel about combat and the killing of men is different now at age 49 , then when in my twenties actually doing the same.
I have come to mostly peaceful terms and acceptance with my actions and that , just because I was good at my job then , doesn't make me a "bad man" , then or now.

The above is a long ongoing story...that is far from complete , for I feel that I should always be learning and "testing" my conceptions and notions.
It is also a very personal one...
The killing of a man is the most intimate thing you can do...it is far more intimate than even love making...With love making you are giving the promise of life...in killing you are giving both the promise of life and death.

Again I must state that the above statement is very personal...everyone experiences life differently...this is especially true of combat and killing.
Andy

I would agree with Andy very much in what he wrote. It appears we are walking a very similar path in our life at this time.

talking about various shooting disciplines though on the surface might not look like it correlates to real life. think of it like this, its muscle memory you learn in rapid target acquisition, target discrimination, firearm manipulation, reloading all under extreme stress. Though its a timer causing it its still a lot more stressful than how most people train if at all. at the end of the day you learn how to fight your gear which is something you don't want to learn when it counts.

as usual, just my .02

The vast majority of people I have met or know personally who have fired a weapon in combat or self defense, never wish to experience it again. The false bravado of those who think they know how they would react in such a circumstance, what it is to take a life, and the haunting after-effects, have no real concept of what they're talking about. Those who have, take no pleasure in what they did, nor do they brag about how macho they are. No, the vast majority of these people wish they had never been in such circumstances. Taking a life, even when justified, is no small matter.

Most non combat experienced folks have no concept of the mental state you are in when you are facing a real fight with people shooting at You! I was damn scared each and every time I experienced it, between jacked up on adrenalin, fear, anger, and all those other emotions, some how you have to focus it all on your weapons sights and pull that damn trigger, kill of be killed! I can tell you, that's not a good feeling! My "Job" was a lot different then most in the mil, my job wasn't to actively hunt or engage the enemy, but to rescue and provide aid and medical treatment to those in dire need, often in the middle of an active fight, and then becoming involved in that fight. Rarely were we ever fully prepared for what happend and even less so, properly equipped, and you go willingly into that hell time and time again because it's your mission, you live and breath it! Taking a life is a very sad set of events and personal experiences, some seem to handle it well, some dont! I have seen grown, hardend men puke their guts out, and others scared as hell break down and cry their eyes out, it's a very emotional experience!
My first experience left a mark on me, forever etched on my soul, and I was scared to death, scared that I was about to do the unthinkable, scared that I might screw up or fail, scared that I would die my self, and I had to pull that trigger, I HAD TO! I did, and the sound of that round being fired will forever be a part of my memories! A man died by my hand, and while it was a nessessity, it was the hardest thing I have ever been faced with!

I served but I have never been in combat. I had no wish to be. Thank you to those that sacrificed in that manner!!!

Those who come right out and say they would not hesitate, I steer clear of.

As regards self defense... I have prepared myself to kill or be killed. Made that decision ahead of time. And trained for it. I do not look forward to having to injure or kill. But my intention to perform if the time comes is clear. When and if it does, it will be what it will be. I do not know. But I want to do my best to survive and to protect myself, my family, and others.

Competition shooters use "run and gun" in matches, this works well in competition not so much in real life. (When targets shoot back). Cover is really important.

Run and gun is a feature of USPSA or IPSC matches. I've shot those, they are fun. But one should not see them as training for real life, other than (as was mentioned) the familiarization with gear and malfunctions. Additionally, there are straight paper target matches, bowling pin matches, steel matches, cowboy action, etc. Let's not use run and gun as a one size fits all description of competition shooters. I used to shoot IPSC/USPSA, but switched to IDPA which started as a more defense oriented competition. However, one should not conflate IDPA with the intense type of training available at a higher cost to shooters. It's just a baby step in the right direction. IMO, even paid training has mixed results and can't prepare for every last situation, circumstance, or need. But what is the alternative... to be unprepared? Not my style (Semper Paratus) and shouldn't be anybody else's either.

Everytime I killed an animal wether it was a beef steer or one of my best four legged friends in mercy I have always felt a bit of sadness and shed some tears. I am certain that this is much less impacting than dispatching a human. I have one overriding feeling however and that is I would rather have to think about killing an attacker than having to bury someone I cared about and swore an oath to myself to protect.

I learned something on submarines it was an epiphany - that is your mind can be your best freind or your worse enemy and that you had better learn to control it.

A few Misconceptions; people automatically fall down when hit, bullets perform as tested, everything goes as planned and trained for and "I'm beyond the fundamentals in my shooting/training skills".

A few Conceptions; you won't always know when you've been hit, no such thing as a "Lull" in a gunfight, you'll have to fight that which is dealt not what you trained for and theory based training and concepts sound good in a controlled environment.

No one knows how they will respond if/when the time comes. I've see hardened tough guys fail and those you'd think couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag come through...and then some.

Those who analyze and research the subject, I find are more prepared than those who don't. The equipment can help, but its the human factor, hopefully that will decide the outcome.

In the situations I was involved, I leaned on and trusted my training...am blessed to have been trained by those who went before me and found the pitfalls and those things that were grossly over rated what was taught in training vs reality on the street and wooded warfare.

The training now days is light years ahead of a lot of what was out there 20-25 years ago. I love to read and hear about others AAR's and what they came away with.

No it's not easy. This world has been warring since the dawn of time. We think we're civilized, but at times...not so sure, we've just glazed it over with the amenities of life. There will always be evil.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top