JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like the Rebel press will work well!

It appears to be a variation of the RockChucker press with similar design and ambi handle ability.

Cut a couple thrust plates out of some 1/4" plate about 2" X 1" (approx) with 'U' channels that correspond with those in the base. This will help distribute the compression of the mounting bolts and prevent them from making contact with the base. OR some good, heavy flat washers.

I HAVE see a few presses in my lifetime with corners broken off the bolt 'channels' on the bases!

A piece of 1/4" plate between the base and tabletop helps as well if the tabletop is a little 'cushy'.

I HAVE see a few presses in my lifetime with corners broken off the bolt 'channels' on the bases!

A piece of 1/4" plate between the base and tabletop helps as well if the tabletop is a little 'cushy'.
good advice. I plan on getting the RCBS adapter mounting plate as my workbench is less than ideal. But I will look into beefing up the bolt washer surface area as you suggested, makes sense.

Couple of questions for you...

What is low round count?

What is high round count?

How much time can be designated to loading?

When I started, it was on an older rock chucker by RCBS. I did bulk and small quantities on it. Time is all you need with a single stage press. If you shoot weekly for competition, you'll need a lot of time behind a single stage. If your shooting more than 1000 rounds a month, maybe then a progressive makes more sense. If you can designate 1-2 hours a weekend, and shoot 1-2 times a month, you can easily work up a couple thousand rounds at a time using a single stage in a months time or less.

Key to single stage bulk loading is doing every step in bulk. Deprime a few thousand in one sitting, through them in to clean. Resize and prime them the next weekend. Following weekend, powder charges and seated bullets.

I usually get in the routine of having all my brass "prepped" or in other words all that is remaining is to put powder in it and seat a bullet. I'll have thousands of cases ready to load, so when I need to, I can.

Small scale stuff, stuff like 30-30 for me, I'll perform the whole process in one sitting. Usually starting with new brass or brass I've already partially prepared by depriming and cleaned. Size, trim, prime, and load. Usually 20-50 at a time.

For something like the BFR in 50AE you picked up? You could totally load up 50-100 rounds rather quickly (after you get the hang of loading) and test them that weekend. Take the spent cases, deprime them in the living room watching tv with the kids, throw them in the tumbler, and they are ready for the next time you need to load them.

Glad you are taking a good look at this! I think you'll enjoy it once you get settled in with it.

I prime while watching tv. Since I am working from home I frequently load 50 rounds or so on lunch. Truly minimal is what I started with. It was a little lee handloader kit for 308. I just use an RCBS single stage press. But making bullets is a zen like activity for me. To be honest if left to my own devices I enjoy manufacturing things with very precise measurements. As a kid I was an award winning baker believe it or not. Making bullets is very similar actually. Precision is key and thoughtfulness.

Generally I do a few hundred at a time. That time I primed 2000 9mm cases, well, I got really sick of loading 9mm. I haven't finished those even though they are stupid easy. (I am a 147 grain fan myself)

I got miffed recently that my .22tcm loads were not as good groups as some cheap 22tcm9r at 100 yards. Granted my 7 shot group of the 9r shot a single hole that was tiny. Mine would have been great, had I not had such phenomenal performance by the cheap stuff. Reloading can make you frustrated if you overthink it. I was all miffed looking at my target and the 3 groups of ammo and they seemed so big to me, but a half dollar would have covered all 21 rounds fired in their 3 clusters. It is a matter of perspective. (for reference low recoil round on a bench, so not much skill was needed)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads