JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In my 30+ years of outdoor/shooting experience I've seen a lot of discussion about types of firearms, ammunition, bug out location, ect but often medical care is skimmed over.

I'd like to start the discussion about "what do you carry medically?" specifically for when you train/go to the range.

In my truck is a full medical kit but I carry a smaller pouch when I head off into the wilderness or go shooting.

Below is a list of what I carry. I'd love to hear thoughts and critiques as nothing is ever 100%.

Med Kit:

1 - 6" Hemorrhage Control Bandage
1 - Triangular Bandage 40" x 40" x 56" w/ safety pins
1 - Field Dressing 4" x 7"
1- Roll 5 yards Waterproof Adhesive Tape
3 - Sterile Non-adhesive 4" x 3" pads
1 - Pair of Latex Gloves
6 - Acetaminophen, Chlorpheniramine, Phenylephrine Tablets
4 - Alcohol Prep Pads
1- Monofilament non-absorbable suture kit
1- Hand Sanitizer
1 - Large Tweezers
1 - 5" Surgical Forceps
1 - 5" Surgical snips/scissors
1 - Trauma Shears
1 - Tourniquet

If you think I forgot anything or overpacked please let me know!

I would also like to clarify this post that medical equipment without training/knowledge isn't ideal. I do have some medical experience in the Marine Corps and Combat Lifesaver training but it can always be refreshed and updated. When you decide to put your own kit together please seek out training opportunities in your area.

Safe shooting.

As far as tourniquets, North American Rescue is the only brand to get. Period. Others have been known to snap.

Also a good idea to practice putting them on one handed. Crank them down until you can't feel your pulse and get an idea of how they feel. Think about the suck of having to wear one for awhile.

There are three main causes of death from traumatic injury such as bullet wounds, blood loss, airway obstruction and tension pneumothorax, a solid trauma kit should address all three issues.

1. Blood loss:
Tourniquets
Compression Bandages
Duct tape
QuickClot combat gauze (or similar)
Chest seal (falls under #3, too)

2. Airway obstruction:
Nasopharyngeal Airway

3. Tension Pneumothorax:
chest decompression needle.

I would also like to clarify this post that medical equipment without training/knowledge isn't ideal. I do have some medical experience in the Marine Corps and Combat Lifesaver training but it can always be refreshed and updated. When you decide to put your own kit together please seek out training opportunities in your area.

On that, yes it is indeed better to be trained with your live saving equipment, but don't it let stop if you are not. The whole concept on an IFAK isn't intended for the wounded to self administer aid but rather have the tools present for someone else to render aid.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top