JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My brother is in the market for a 9mm and really likes the Glocks. He found this MechTech system thingamajig that allows you to swap out the "upper" part of the pistol with a new assembly that includes a 16+" barrel. MechTech says that then you have a long barreled pistol, at which point you can attach one of their stocks to the long barreled pistol, thereby turning it into "shoulder stocked pistol". Okay, seems fine - but can you then remove the stock and then remove the replacement "upper" and put the original Glock "upper" back on and have your stock weapon again, or is that illegal?

Here's the link: MechTech Systems

My concern is that stocking a long-barreled pistol makes it into something else in the hard and cruel eyes of the BATFE, and taking the kit off again might be somehow illegal. I don't want my brother or I to run afoul of the law.

For what it's worth, he lives in Washington but is planning on moving to the Portland metro area in about a year (so it might get to live at my house in the interrim if it's one of those "okay in Oregon but not in Washington" sort of things).

Also, I'm not sure what he thinks he'll be gaining other than a choice of what to shoot on a particular day - tinker-toys for grown-ups and all that. :p I told him to buy his Glock, then a folding 9mm carbine from KelTec instead, but this still looks a bit fun.

Last Edited:
From my understanding, as long as the long barrel is installed before the stock it is perfectly legal. Where I see potential to run afoul of trouble is if he were able to install the stock without the barrel, but this stock is different than the ones that go in the bottom of the grip. What sounds like a better alternative to me as you mentioned, would just be to purchase the Kel-Tec P2000 to go with his G17, rather than this setup. Then he can share mags between the two, but have two separate, fully functioning arms.
I'm sure others with more experience can weigh in here and possibly make corrections to this. This is simply my understanding of things.

I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the ATF because of these.

...yet anyway.

I can understand wanting a carbine that feels better than the kel-tec sub-2000 though, those are a little cheapy feeling to me, don't know if this is any better though as I have not played with one in person.

The Stock can't be put on until the long barreled upper is attached, so at no point would it be an SBR, but I didn't know if adding the kit made it into something else that then required paperwork to return to the factory setup.

Spengo:
I've never held a Sub-2000, but the stock really thumps on my sense of aesthetics, and the hinging action it does look a little flimsy - but at the same time I haven't heard people complaining about it.

I've never held a Sub-2000, but the stock really thumps on my sense of aesthetics, and the hinging action it does look a little flimsy - but at the same time I haven't heard people complaining about it.

As far as I know, it is a very functional weapon. Everyone I know who owns one likes it. Goes bang every time. I think the folding is a neat idea, but I'd be willing to pay an extra c-note for nicer fit and finish personally. I'm probably just too spoiled.

SIGH if only colt 6450s were cheaper.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top