Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Marlin XT-22MTR vs. Savage 93F???

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mountainman53, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mountainman53

mountainman53 Ridgefield Wa Member

I may be in the market for an inexpensive .22mag rifle and wondered if anyone here has any experience with these rifles, like accuracy, reliability etc.

1) Marlin XT-MTR .22 mag
    22" barrel
    1:16 rate of twist
    ProFire adjustable trigger
    tube-fed(holds 12+1)
    weighs 6 lbs.

2) Savage 93F
    .22 mag
    21" barrel
    could not find R.O.T.
    Accu Trigger
    5+1 detachable magazine
    weighs 5.5 lbs

I have zero experience with these rifles and am hoping for some help. I do like the 12 round capacity of the Marlin, and all things being equal, the capacity would be the clincher. So, help me out, please!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

I own the Savage and would not trade it for the Marlin. I like the Accu-Trigger and spare mags can be found at Bi-Mart, Walmart or any gun store or show. The capacity is a big one and I am a Marlin fan, but my 93F is the best $189.95 rifle I could hope to own. I think either way you have a winner, but if I could only have one it's the Savage. Kip.

3. rynpol

rynpol Oregon Member

I agree with unklekippy. I have several of the Savages and would not part with any of them. Huge fan of the Accu-Trigger.

4. auditrevor

auditrevor salem Active Member

I have a marlin xt-22 and its a awesome rifle. I picked it up because it was cheap and looked nice but was very surprised with how light the trigger pull is after I adjusted it. great little gun, my only gripe is that the iron sights on it were kinda cheesy but I planned on putting a scope on it either way.

5. OwenT21

OwenT21 Bend area Member

I have a Savage 93FV and my Bro-in-law shot it and LOVED it... he went out looking and found a Marlin XT. He liked the micro-groove barrel and thought if the trigger was adjustable it wouldn't be to bad. I wouldn't give up my Savage, but that microgroove barrel plus adjustable trigger may get me to buy one in 22lr just for anyhow.

6. auditrevor

auditrevor salem Active Member

I have one in the classifieds if your interested.

7. Gaius

Gaius Oregon Member

I have a Savage (.17) and I really like it. But I have never owned the Marlin. I would say hold them both and buy the one that feels better. I doubt there's any difference in accuracy or reliability. Can't go wrong with either.

8. mountainman53

mountainman53 Ridgefield Wa Member

Thanks Guys and Gals for the info. It sounds like everyone likes what they got, which makes sense, or ya wouldn't a bought it in the first place. I guess you wouldn't post on here" yeah, I bought a so-n-so rifle and I hate it. worst gun I ever had. Can't hit a barn with it from the inside. Don't know why I keep it around".
    Anyway thanks again for the input, and I think Gaius is right. I need to handle them.