JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
picked up a marlin 1970 marlin 336 30-30,i have never owned one or shot one but i have many winny 94's.the gun needs to be redone so im planning on stripping it to bare bones,bluing and stock refinish.i have taken the 94's down all the way,and wondering how hard the 336 is compared to the winny,any tricks,advice,youtube sites would be greatly appreciated.also the top edge of the receiver has a good dent in it. ive fixed dents in guns before by welding in the dent then hand filing and finish sanding,but never on a receiver,is it ok to do so or what would you pros suggest,im no smith just a guy that thinks part of owning a firearm,is working on them and understanding how they function and having fun doing it.thanks for the help;)

The 336 is quite easy to disassemble and re assemble, you tube has some real good videos. Just be careful when tightening the screw in the loading gate, it is easy to break the little screw off. I repaired one of those recently for my nephew.

My opinion... Don't weld on the recv'r -- leave that to the experts. As long as it functions, don't worry about it. I have 2 336's... a 80's 336cs (30-30), and a 50's 336sc (35 Rem). Both are hunting tools, and i don't worry about little scratches/dings/etc.

thanks guys,finally got time to watch some you tube vids,looks easier than a winny,thanks for tip on the screw.cant wait to get this cleaned up to shoot,i love how the action feels solid lock up.is there any polishing that i can do to lightin up the trigger,it seems pretty heavy might be because its so dirty and rusty in the receiver.anybody know what i can expect accuracy wise,im going to try loading up some 180&150gr hornady sp using leverrevolution powder.

I would just give it a good cleaning and then try it out. WWG makes a near 'drop-in' trigger if that's the way you want to go.

In a 30-30... factory irons 2-4" @ 100 yards... peeps & scopes will drop that in half.

Try different bullets.... some like 150gr, others like 170gr. Varget/h4895/RE15 are all great powders to try as well. Make sure you are trimming each time to a uniform case length to ensure even crimping (a MUST for tube fed rifles).

thanks guys,finally got time to watch some you tube vids,looks easier than a winny,thanks for tip on the screw.cant wait to get this cleaned up to shoot,i love how the action feels solid lock up.is there any polishing that i can do to lightin up the trigger,it seems pretty heavy might be because its so dirty and rusty in the receiver.anybody know what i can expect accuracy wise,im going to try loading up some 180&150gr hornady sp using leverrevolution powder.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews