JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey I am not really sure why but I really like the 1895 guide gun in 45/70. Anyone have any thoughts good/bad on this rifle?

Further does anyone have one in the albany corvallis area that could meet at
the ARPC some time to try it out before I shell out the bones to pick one up. I could also meet around sweethome some time also as I frequent the area.

Thanks,
Steven

Hey I am not really sure why but I really like the 1895 guide gun in 45/70. Anyone have any thoughts good/bad on this rifle?
Thanks,
Steven

I have been having the same thing going on for a long time now, too. I do have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag so it's not like it's just a lever gun thing. Finally, I had the opportunity to fire a old Winchester 1886 45/70 and really enjoyed it. It does bark a bit. I compared the ballistics of the .44 Mag to the 45/70 and ultimately decided that the .44 Mag would do anything I need done around here and haven't (yet) bought a Guide Gun. It will be interesting to see how long you can fight it. :)

Further does anyone have one in the albany corvallis area that could meet at
the ARPC some time to try it out before I shell out the bones to pick one up. I could also meet around sweethome some time also as I frequent the area.

Thanks,
Steven

I have one you can try out. I will send a PM with #. No need to go to ARPC just out my back door.

So what do you guys think of it? I'm looking at one myself :)

I have had mine awhile now and use it exclusively for dear. I am going to use the Hornady leverevolution this year. I usually use 300gr HP from Sierra loaded with IMR 4198. I have loaded and used 400gr SP using H335 which is pushing them at 1800fps for elk. I like mine for brush hunting (short) you can really tuck it in tight while on the sneak. Aquarium Junky came out and tried it out today, I don't think it will take him long till he gets one.:D

Mine is factory ported and throws a 6 foot ball of flame which is hillarious at night. The newer versions are not ported, I would get it ported if you plan on pushing the envelope with reloads. I will most likely never get rid of mine.

ya I like it! Like it a lot! (should I use kids college money to get one?)
Ya Deadeye let me come out and shoot his today. Heck of a guy! and very sweet rifle. I will probably be picking one up in the next month or two. (shhhh don't tell the wife)

It did not kick nearly as hard as I feared with the factory Hornady rounds although the 400gr hand loads had a bit more umph to them. Great fun and should work great for putting meat on the table!

Thanks again Deadeye! Nice meeting you and great rifle!!!
(picked up another box of 45/70 at bimart today)
Steven

my friend has one and i shot it yesterday. its a really nice rifle, and the factory loads dont kick at all. but now he wants to get a handgun so i think he is trying to sell it or trade it

I like the caliber. I have a Harrington and Richardson single shot 45-70. Bi-Mart in Medford (on Biddle Road) has a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun for less than $500 that I have been looking at. I still have to convince the other half that I need it.

I've shot one for quite awhile just bought a new 1895 SBL shooting 425gr hardcast bullets shoots great i would love to pick up a ported guide gun also.

Twodogs

Did you see what the little tag on it said? I am really thinking of selling some stuff and getting a SBL

Anyone need a kidney?

ummmm only one kidney I am keeping at least one also!
Steven

Last Edited:
my friend has one and i shot it yesterday. its a really nice rifle, and the factory loads dont kick at all. but now he wants to get a handgun so i think he is trying to sell it or trade it

That's funny cause I'm trying to get a 45/70 handgun to go with the rifle. I had a chance to get a nice revolver a while back but waited too long to decide. I am not a fan of the BFR I want one of the single action look that have been produced in the past. I figure around $1600 might get a nice one if I can ever find one again. If I can find one I'll have to let you guys try it out.:s0155: