JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to the gun show this weekend and thought of a major concern in leu of the mandatory background checks bills that are looming in congress. The concern is identity theft! Now if you buy a gun from the gun show, be it a dealer or privet party, you have to do a background check. To not comply is *a felony. So the man that I was buying a gun from decided that this would be the course of action that he wanted to follow. The background check form used, is the same one that you would find in a gun store, asking all the same questions and here is the big point asking for all the same information, name, address, and SOCIAL SECURITY *NUMBER. Then when checking that the person is legal *to buy in the state that the gun is being sold in, they ask to see your drivers license. The person has all the information at their finger tips to still your identity.*Mandatory Background Checks comes with risk!*I just wanted you all to know of this real danger.

Holy crap I can't believe I didn't think about that. I had the opposite thought that someone could easily forge a CPL and be able to avoid a background check but I never thought of the identity theft part and in HB1588 says the seller gets to keep the 4473 form. I'm writing my reps and the sponsors right now with just that concern so its not too long in hopes they actually read it

The SS # is optional on a 4473. I've never provided mine. I don't like the idea of having my information walking around with people. I can picture someone throwing one in their glove box or console until it gets stolen.

It's bad enough that a dealer has all that information.

I see you point and I have not fully read all the proposals but I am pretty sure ANY transfer would have to be done at an FFL. Not saying that is much better but better then your info going off with some "person".

I see you point and I have not fully read all the proposals but I am pretty sure ANY transfer would have to be done at an FFL. Not saying that is much better but better then your info going off with some "person".

WA hb1588 states that the seller gets to keep the 4473 and background check certificate form as proof they followed the law.

Like the man said the SSN# is optional. Ive never bought private sale at a show. I wonder about asking the seller to meet outside the show somewhere. Probably some law against that.

WA hb1588 states that the seller gets to keep the 4473 and background check certificate form as proof they followed the law.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1588.pdf

Well it says nothing about a 4473 because that is a FEDERAL form. On top of that is specifically says "(d) The department of licensing shall create and make available an application to transfer a firearm for use by unlicensed persons engaged in the sale or purchase of a firearm." Nowhere in the bill does it say what happens with the forms. Does not say if it stays with the seller or the person doing the background check. According to section "e" the check has to be done by "A dealer or a chief of police or sheriff"........

Again this is just addressing the WA version. What happens IF the feds come out with their own version which is different then what the states are proposing?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1588.pdf

Well it says nothing about a 4473 because that is a FEDERAL form. On top of that is specifically says "(d) The department of licensing shall create and make available an application to transfer a firearm for use by unlicensed persons engaged in the sale or purchase of a firearm." Nowhere in the bill does it say what happens with the forms. Does not say if it stays with the seller or the person doing the background check. According to section "e" the check has to be done by "A dealer or a chief of police or sheriff"........

Again this is just addressing the WA version. What happens IF the feds come out with their own version which is different then what the states are proposing?

That is the original bill. The new version PSHB 1588 http://app.leg.wa.gov/m/cmd/Handler...umentcontent&documentId=XK-tEsMVSpA&att=false says

"The dealer or chief of police or sheriff conducting the
background check may not retain a copy of the firearms transaction
record (ATF form 4473), which shall be returned to the seller after the
completion of the background check. The seller may retain a copy of
the firearms transaction record (ATF form 4473) as proof of compliance
with the requirements of this section."

The funny thing is that is also in conflict with RCW 9.41.090 where it states "The triplicate shall be retained by the dealer for six years"

They don't need a SSN# to run you. The government that is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

If someone else has the same name you may need to provide your SSN to clear the check if you haven't created a pin. Plus even without the SSN that's still a lot of your personal info. I shred bills and junk email why would I want some stranger to have my name address date of birth place of birth and drivers licence number

Where did you find the new version of the bill? How did you search for it? I can't find it using the usual search at the bill information link or the text search.
I was watching the executive hearing on 1588 at TVW v3
1588 starts at 00:30 then continues at 12:35. They referred to a new proposed substitute #2 ps h-1417.1. The clerk read a summary of the new bill; a person needs a CPL or background check certificate from the local sheriff or make the sale through dealer. Apparently the police can charge up to $20 to run a NICS check and issue a background check certificate that is good for ten days. Nothing about the form 4473 anymore. Dealers can charge what they want now. The vote was close, 7 yes and 6 no.

Pedersen, Hanson, Goodman, Hope, Jinkins, Orwall and Roberts voted yes. Rodne, O’ban, Kirby, Kippert, Nealey, and Shea voted no.

Ranb

If someone else has the same name you may need to provide your SSN to clear the check if you haven't created a pin. Plus even without the SSN that's still a lot of your personal info. I shred bills and junk email why would I want some stranger to have my name address date of birth place of birth and drivers licence number

It is no different if you write checks. DL and date of birth is on it plus address. You hand out information everyday.

You just have to hope it does not get in to the wrong hands. It sucks but that is the way it is.

Just think your doctor has more information about you than the IRS. Plus you are in a medical data base the insurance companies can look at when applying for life insurance.

The SSN# has nothing to do with the check. I still got delayed using it once. So I never put it down.

It is no different if you write checks. DL and date of birth is on it plus address. You hand out information everyday.

You just have to hope it does not get in to the wrong hands. It sucks but that is the way it is.

Just think your doctor has more information about you than the IRS. Plus you are in a medical data base the insurance companies can look at when applying for life insurance.

Cash is king.

My DL is NOT on my checks. Besides this day in age I hardly use them.

Not that I go to the Dr often but they know far less then the IRS. The few times I have needed care the only information I gave was directly based on my care. I did not even include things like who my employer was as it is NONE of their business. Just because you walk through the door of the office does not mean you give up any of your rights.

Where did you find the new version of the bill? How did you search for it? I can't find it using the usual search at the bill information link or the text search.
I was watching the executive hearing on 1588 at TVW v3
1588 starts at 00:30 then continues at 12:35. They referred to a new proposed substitute #2 ps h-1417.1. The clerk read a summary of the new bill; a person needs a CPL or background check certificate from the local sheriff or make the sale through dealer. Apparently the police can charge up to $20 to run a NICS check and issue a background check certificate that is good for ten days. Nothing about the form 4473 anymore. Dealers can charge what they want now. The vote was close, 7 yes and 6 no.

Pedersen, Hanson, Goodman, Hope, Jinkins, Orwall and Roberts voted yes. Rodne, O'ban, Kirby, Kippert, Nealey, and Shea voted no.

Ranb
Committee Meeting Documents
Under amd/subs
The second one says withdrawn and the first says adopted so I think that means that's the one that is nothing forward

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top