JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All:

I have been looking at Makarovs for quite a while and decided it is time to buy one. I have seen a few different makes but I have no clue which are the best. Do any of you have much experience with them or suggestions?

Thank You:

James

I have a couple of 9x18mm chambered pistols; which aren't actually Makarov pistols. The Makarov pistols that I've seen, seem to fairly high priced compared to mine. What I have is a P64 and a CZ82. I just obtain these two a few weeks ago and haven't shot them a lot, but I do like them and plan to shoot them more. These guns were my first away from the 9mm Luger cartridge.

There is a gun show this weekend in Puyallup; which you might consider attending. This is where I had a chance to look at the different firearms in the 9x18mm class.

At today's prices for ammo and the gun....I'd pass.

Yes, I used to own a P64. I got it cheap and sold it because practice ammo was expensive vs 9mm. http://www.p64resource.com/

Think about it....to become proficient....you need to practice. Look at the prices (in the store) of your ammo and firearm. Not to mention, that the 9mm is a more capable caliber.

Unless it for a collection....why?

Aloha, Mark

PS...did you see this one?

WTS/WTT WA - Polish P-83

Last Edited:
Local ammo is expensive but it can be had for 10 bucks or so online. I'll concede that 9x19 is a better caliber as far as variety and power is concerned but good 9x18 is right at 9x19 standard pressure levels. The Makarov is a very reliable and accurate gun, it's also pretty compact if not a bit heavy for its size. One of the few surplus guns that I find acceptable for CC, good safeties and no issues with hp ammo. Sometimes it's nice to carry a piece of history. Other than the CZ82, it's the best 9x18 carry gun, in my opinion.

You can get the Mak in .380 or 9x18. The latter falls somewhere between 9x19 luger and .380 for power.

The Russian Baikal guns are well built, but not as nicely finished. Bulgarian similar. East German origin are the better finished.

Never a jam with my Baikal gun. Accurate and reliable. Reloading cuts shooting costs. Easy to clean and take down.

I've never owned one ... but have had occasion to "play" with Polish , Russian , Bulgarian and East German Makarov pistols.
Of them all I like the Polish and East German the best in regards to overall fit and finish.
Andy

At today's prices for ammo and the gun....I'd pass.

^ This, pretty much. I played with a few over the years and found them neat. Back in the day, they were a real bargain. Now? Eh, not so much. That is not to say they are bad guns, but they certainly aren't, but at current prices for guns and ammo, one can do better for a defensive/plinker/whatever piece.

But if you want a Makarov, don't let that stop you, because they are great guns, and they are still, relatively, affordable. At the end of the day, whatever makes one happy is what is right. :D

Right after the fall of the Iron Curtain, they started showing up at gun shows, dealers would have stacks of these guns for $129 each including holster! I grabbed a Baikal then. They are amenable to smoothing up the action and you can get aftermarket parts (I got a nice set of grips). Also can swap barrels with .380 if you get a barrel press. Being blowback they do have pretty stiff recoil. They are nice looking guns and historic, and one would think they would make a decent carry piece, but that blued finish is not so great and probably wouldn't stand up to sweat very well. But if you don't care and want a knock-around gun, why not?

I did my amateur gunsmithing with mine, shot it a few times, then stuck it in the back of the gun safe. For what I have into it, it can stay there, I don't care. Maybe could use one as a throw-down gun. ;)

Thanks for the help everyone. I looked at a couple yesterday at the gun show in Puyallup. They are nice guns but I like the Bersa Thunder line a bit better.

Thank You:
James

The Bersa and Mak are close to the same size but the Bersa feels like more of a modern firearm plus they have very good sites for a smaller pistol. My Daughter has one (Bersa) and really likes it plus they feed anything without a problem.

James

I am awaiting the arrival of a Polish p83. It will go with the Soviet Tokarev, Romanian Tokarev, Baikal .380, and other Eastern Block guns I own. I am something of a collector of old Commie guns that I still shoot.

Probably will get a P64 at some point too.

My dear old pal, Joe, now gone, had a P64 that he bought to keep me amused, in two-tone brushed and black. It is a very sharp piece of kit, too, and pretty accurate at 20m for a military take-off. No bean can was safe...

'snot for a feak and weeble user though. The recoil, with the Sellier & Bellot ammunition, was quite snappy. But I opine that with a good SP load it would make a dandy back-up. My back-up in Northern Ireland was my dad's PP in 9mmK, loaded with 90gr Winchester Silver Tips - that was going to sting across the width of a car, for sure. ;)

tac