JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I picked up a mak 90 that I want to make some changes to. I want to change the current stock, grip, and handguards. The current stock is a adjustable m4 style and I was thinking about putting the natural wood style on it. My question is, do other stocks interchange with the mak 90? Search on this forum didn't turn up much and google doesn't give me a for sure answer.

Before anybody asks, it's a straight cut stamped receiver.

So I picked up a mak 90 that I want to make some changes to. I want to change the current stock, grip, and handguards. The current stock is a adjustable m4 style and I was thinking about putting the natural wood style on it. My question is, do other stocks interchange with the mak 90? Search on this forum didn't turn up much and google doesn't give me a for sure answer.

Before anybody asks, it's a straight cut stamped receiver.

My straight cut NHM91 accepted a Russian RPK stock no problem. I would wager that the MAK 90 straight cut will too. Here is Ironwood's design for a MAK 90:

<broken link removed>

Don't forget, you need to maintain compliance by using a US made stock set. Although the AK snobs eschew them, the plastic KVARs are pretty good...better and more authentic looking than Tapcos. Wood or plastic will cost you about the same.

Edit: Good call on getting rid of the M4 stock. Bleck!

Keith

922R compliance requires a minimum of 5 US made parts on your MAK. A US stock set counts as 3 parts. If you use foreign stocks you need to replace the 3 piece fire control group with a Tapco or other US made set. A US mag will give you 3 parts toward compliance. A US gas piston is one more part. If your barrel is threaded, you need a sixth US part if you install a muzzle device. On my MAKS, I use original Chinese wood, a Tapco FCG, US follower and floorplate in original AK mag, and a US slant brake.

My straight cut NHM91 accepted a Russian RPK stock no problem. I would wager that the MAK 90 straight cut will too. Here is Ironwood's design for a MAK 90:

<broken link removed>

Don't forget, you need to maintain compliance by using a US made stock set. Although the AK snobs eschew them, the plastic KVARs are pretty good...better and more authentic looking than Tapcos. Wood or plastic will cost you about the same.

Edit: Good call on getting rid of the M4 stock. Bleck!

Keith

I was looking at the ironwood stocks and they do look pretty nice. I was kinda thinking I can find something a little cheaper than the $180.00 price tag they want for it. Not that it isn't worth it, I having a hard time justifying it for a couple pieces of wood.

And yes, the m4 stock had to go!

922R compliance requires a minimum of 5 US made parts on your MAK. A US stock set counts as 3 parts. If you use foreign stocks you need to replace the 3 piece fire control group with a Tapco or other US made set. A US mag will give you 3 parts toward compliance. A US gas piston is one more part. If your barrel is threaded, you need a sixth US part if you install a muzzle device. On my MAKS, I use original Chinese wood, a Tapco FCG, US follower and floorplate in original AK mag, and a US slant brake.

My barrel isn't threaded so the slant brake is out. I don't want to mess with the trigger as it seems like it's smoother than the one on my Bulgarian ak. I like the factory mags and won't use the promags. That leaves me with a stock set and?

Im really starting to wonder about the whole 922 thing. Has anybody ever been charged with it? It seems kinda pointless as people who buys these ak's usually ditch the mag in favor of factory mags. That would make almost all the ak's noncompliant.

My barrel isn't threaded so the slant brake is out. I don't want to mess with the trigger as it seems like it's smoother than the one on my Bulgarian ak. I like the factory mags and won't use the promags. That leaves me with a stock set and?

Im really starting to wonder about the whole 922 thing. Has anybody ever been charged with it? It seems kinda pointless as people who buys these ak's usually ditch the mag in favor of factory mags. That would make almost all the ak's noncompliant.

Sadly, what you want and what is required are two different things. The items listed by Gunluvvr are quite accurate and necessary. Yours needs 5 US parts. I would recommend the stock set and fcg as the easiest option, which keeps your rifle compliant with any magazine. You could also change only the stock set and modify foreign mags with US followers and floorplates, but then you are stuck with those mags only.

All new AKs sold by Century, Arsenal, etc are already 922r compliant without magazines. These issues usually only come up with ban-era weapons like SAR-8s, MAK-90s, NHM-91s, etc that had butthole stocks which removed them from 922r compliance. Change one part and you then need to change them all.

922r silly? Absolutely. Further, I do not believe anyone has ever been charged solely on non-compliance. Usually its thrown in with other weapons charges. But why be the first? Imagine if you use your AK to defend your home, or heaven forbid you accidentally injure or kill someone while shooting in a rock pit. An overzealous prosecutor could turn a weapons-ignorant jury against you real fast when he describes your 'illegally modified' AK.

Keith

Well put, Keith!

22many, if someone changed the stock on the MAK, maybe they already changed the FCG. Pull it out and look for any markings on it. Maybe you'll get lucky. Otherwise, 2 converted mags will keep you compliant with a full stock set. IMHO, when SHTF and TEOTWAWKI, any mag will be pressed into service with no one to ask questions.

Thanks. You both have very good points. The 922 thing is something I had not though of until you guys brought it up. I imagine that if I did want to keep the fcg can i change any other part of the rifle and it would still count as a us part?

I guess what Im trying to say is if I wanted a top dust cover with a rail or say, a us made different rear sight on it would that count as 1 us part?

No. The only parts that count are those specifically listed as 'parts'. On an AK these are trunnion, barrel, bolt, carrier, receiver, stock set, pistol grip, magazine, fcg, piston, and if you have a muzzle device, that too. Things like top covers, sights, sling swivels can be added to or detracted with impunity and they don't make you any more or less compliant.

There are alot of writeups on the net about 922. Here's a good one that also discusses history of the whole mess as well. Thank you GHW Bush.

Converting AK-47 to 922R

Thanks for the info and link trainsktg. Very informative read. I took a good look inside my mak 90 and noticed that it has a double hook fcg with no markings so I doubt it's ever been changed out.

Keep the original parts and sell them with the rifle when the time comes. I have the original parts off of an NHM 91 and a stamped Springfield SAR8 that will go with the rifles when they go.

Please post pics of your efforts when you are done. I'd like to see what you decide to do.

Keith

Keep the original parts and sell them with the rifle when the time comes. I have the original parts off of an NHM 91 and a stamped Springfield SAR8 that will go with the rifles when they go.

Please post pics of your efforts when you are done. I'd like to see what you decide to do.

Keith

I'll do before and after pics when it's done. I already plan on coating it as it needs a better paint job than what's on it.
Still trying to decide on which coating to go with. I have a 1911 that I had durakoted and I like the finish. I don't have any experience with the other kind of coatings at all. Recommendation?

I would like to have a wood stock set in a nice natural blond color but if something comes up for cheaper then I might have to switch directions.

Should be blued.....does it have paint on it now?

I did the "convert a MAK" thing almost a decade ago now:

P6010179.jpg

05-1.jpg

Well worth it.

These issues usually only come up with ban-era weapons like SAR-8s, MAK-90s, NHM-91s, etc that had butthole stocks which removed them from 922r compliance. Change one part and you then need to change them all.

Um.... What exactly do "butthole stocks" look like? I'm familiar with "thumbhole stocks" but picture something else entirely different with a name like that. ;)

Um.... What exactly do "butthole stocks" look like? I'm familiar with "thumbhole stocks" but picture something else entirely different with a name like that. ;)

Ya know, I read that earlier and started laughing. I was going to point it out but didn't think anybody else would understand. Lol.

Unka-boo, nice ak. Is that a a1 flashider? Looks pretty good.

No. The rifle has the worn factory bluing that needs to be redone. I had though about a reblue job but figured I'd do something a little different.

Unka-boo, nice ak. Is that a a1 flashider? Looks pretty good.

No. The rifle has the worn factory bluing that needs to be redone. I had though about a reblue job but figured I'd do something a little different.

Gotcha. Yes, that was an A1 flash hider....I needed a US made hider for 922r, so TIG'd a chopped down slant brake to a A1 hider ( because no one had ever heard of 14mm LH thread :s0112: ) , walla, US made AK brake! ( this was before they were readily available ). The stock was a Euro pattern Boyds that I spent WAY too long chopping up to fit the Chinese receiver...but in the end, it worked.

LOL - a friend took the butthole stock concept and ran with it as a "political statement" - he swapped his thumbhole stock on his 5.45x39 AK variant and replaced it with an oak toilet seat as a replacement stock... I should see if he still has it in that configuration and get a pic of it ;)

LOL - a friend took the butthole stock concept and ran with it as a "political statement" - he swapped his thumbhole stock on his 5.45x39 AK variant and replaced it with an oak toilet seat as a replacement stock... I should see if he still has it in that configuration and get a pic of it ;)

I think I seen that! It's on google images somewhere when I was doing reasearch on ak stocks.